10 hours ago, OrlokTsubodai said:

I got my A-level grades yesterday, which means I start my gap-year job on September 12th - I think, at least until I have a better idea of how much time I'll have, that I'm going to have to spectate for the foreseeable future - could I please have a link to the doc, Elb?

Congrats bro! Having just finished a levels myself, I know what you've gone through haha.  

LG25 Night Zero: Beginnings - Shadow and Light

A small, innocuous looking stone sat on a table in the middle of a dark room. It was about the size of a chicken’s egg, perfectly symmetrical and rounded, and a mottled grey like ashes had been rubbed into it. 

Beside the table stood a woman looking down at it. “So, how does this mythical weapon of the Hallandren false gods work, exactly?” she asked to the room at large. “It doesn’t seem all that horrific to me.”

“Give it to me and I’d be happy to show you exactly how it works,” Shadowbringer the Watchful said from the chair where he was bound. 

The woman snorted. “Not a chance.” She unsheathed her dagger. “Tell me, and no one has to die.”

“Really? No one has to die? Because somehow, I don’t think we’ll be getting out of this alive,” interjected Everlight the Truthful. “As soon as you have what you want to know, you’ll kill both of us anyway. Every moment we resist prolongs our life and our chances of escape.”

“Escape?” The woman laughed. “Escape. From an underground tunnel in the middle of the warren that is below T’Telir, while you’re bound and have four guards between you and your escape. Plus me, a Returned just as much as yourselves. And even if you could get past all of us, you’d be stuck in an underground tunnel with no idea how to get to the surface. Good luck.”

“Thanks for telling us exactly who we need to get past to escape,” Shadowbringer commented.

She glanced in annoyance at him, then shook her head and continued. “Well, your choice. Would you like to watch Everlight die, or would you like to tell me how to work this device?”

He raised an eyebrow. “Go ahead, then. Kill her. See if it makes me any more inclined to tell you.”

She frowned, but conceded the point. “I don’t suppose I could trust an answer from you anyway.” She turned to Everlight. “You, on the other hand… They call you the Truthful. They say you’ve never told a lie.”

Everlight smiled slightly. “They speak the truth, then. At least since my Returning, I have never knowingly lied.”

“Well, then. Much better to ask you. How, exactly, do I work this device?”

“Just because I’m not going to lie about it doesn’t mean I have to tell you. Torture me all you want. You won't get an answer out of me.”

“No? Well, then. You may be pleased to learn I have no intention of torturing you. But I’m sure you’ll enjoy watching me torture Shadowbringer. Watching him writhe in pain…” Everlight didn’t quite hide her intake of breath in time. “So you do care about him, then.”

The woman walked over to Shadowbringer and raised her dagger to trace a line down his cheekbone. Blood dripped slowly out of it, but Shadowbringer didn’t react, just watched Everlight calmly.

“Don’t, don’t, please,” Everlight begged, shuddering.

“Tell me how to steal Breath,” the woman commanded, tracing a parallel line down the other cheekbone. She put the dagger lightly in the hollow above his collarbone and turned to Everlight.

“I-” Everlight began.

Shadowbringer shook his head, carefully. “Don’t.”

“But I hate seeing you in pain,” Everlight whispered.

He smiled. “That wasn’t pain.” Then he drove his neck forwards, cutting open his throat before the woman could pull away her dagger. “This,” he gasped, “is pain.”

“Shadowbringer!” Everlight cried.

“Don’t… tell them… anything,” Shadowbringer whispered. “Goodbye, Everlight.”

“Colors,” the woman said, as she stared down at Shadowbringer’s corpse. 

“No,” Everlight said. “No!” And then her bonds broke, and she leapt up to grab the stone before the other woman could react. She slapped the stone onto the woman’s forehead and recited as fast as she could, “Your Breath to mine, your life-” That was as far as she got before the other woman put her in a deadlock. Everlight may have been Returned, but so was the other woman, and the other was also a trained fighter.

“So that’s how it works,” the woman commented. “How absurdly simple.” Two guards rushed in to hold Everlight, though she didn’t put up much of a fight.

The woman held up the stone in her hand, considering it, then walked up to Everlight. “I’m sorry, but we can't let anyone know we exist. I regret having to do this.”

"Get it over with, then."

The woman carefully placed the simple grey stone on Everlight’s forehead. “Your Breath to mine, your life become mine,” she recited. Everlight’s aura dimmed, and then flickered out, and she collapsed to the floor beside the Shadowbringer’s still-pooling blood. 

The woman inspected the stone, then nodded. “Leave them here,” she ordered. “We have what we need.” 

After a moment, the sounds of tromping feet faded away, and all that was left was a dim room and two cooling bodies side by side. 

The game has begun! You have 27 hours to send in your Night actions. Turnover will be at 11:30 p.m. PDT (6:30 a.m. BST, 2:30 a.m. EDT). Sorry for the inconvenience; turnover will be at 8:30 PDT after this point.

blu_1471761000.png

Quicklinks

EDIT: If you have not read the rules since the game was first psoted, I suggest reading through them again. There have been a few important changes. 

Edited by Elbereth

2 minutes ago, Frozen Mint said:

*she ;)

Huh I didn't know you could see what other users are doing on this site. :blink: Interesting. 

It's pretty late for me so I'll check back in the morning.

Alright. That's fine. Frozen Mint. :P (Because whatever colour I put people in is going to matter... :P)

Bard seems particularly enthusiastic to start the killing! :P

Thing is, I'd typically chalk this up to an Eliminator trying to get an early start, but since it's a night turn, I think Bard just forgot. I'd think that another Eliminator would've reminded him that we start on a Night turn rather than making that mistake in thread. 

Just now, Metacognition said:

Bard seems particularly enthusiastic to start the killing! :P

Thing is, I'd typically chalk this up to an Eliminator trying to get an early start, but since it's a night turn, I think Bard just forgot. I'd think that another Eliminator would've reminded him that we start on a Night turn rather than making that mistake in thread. 

I think every game that we've been in together you've said I'm one of your strongest reads for an Eliminator. I'm glad you're being consistent, at least. :P

I decided to name my character Rox. He's still a mysterious cloaked figure.

“Don’t… tell them… anything,” Shadowbringer whispered from inside the room. “Goodbye, Everlight.”

“Colors,” the boss said as she stared down at Shadowbringer’s corpse. 

“No,” Everlight said. “No!” And then her bonds broke, and she leapt up to grab the stone before the boss could react. She slapped the stone onto the boss's forehead and recited as fast as she could, “Your Breath to mine, your life-” That was as far as she got before the boss put her in a deadlock. Everlight may have been Returned, but so was the boss, and she was also a trained fighter.

“So that’s how it works,” the boss commented. “How absurdly simple.” She waved her hand--her signal for guards. Rox shifted from his stiff standing position and ran into the room, easily pinning Everlight with the help of another guard. Probably a more loyal one, too, Rox thought with a smile.

The boss held up the stone in her hand, considering it, then walked up to Everlight. “I’m sorry, but we can't let anyone know we exist. I regret having to do this.”

"Get it over with, then."

The boss carefully placed the simple grey stone on Everlight’s forehead. “Your Breath to mine, your life become mine,” she recited. Everlight’s aura dimmed, and then flickered out, and she collapsed to the floor beside Shadowbringer’s still-pooling blood. 

The boss inspected the stone, then nodded. “Leave them here,” she ordered. “We have what we need.” 

After a moment, the boss turned and strode out of the dim room, waving a hand to dismiss Rox and his fellow guard. Rox exited through a side door.

After glancing around the tunnelway to ensure he was alone, Rox procured a piece of paper from his guard uniform and wrote a short message. Then, he stooped down on the stone floor and gathered a small pile of straw. In moments, he had it woven into a vaguely human-shaped effigy.

Rox attached the paper to the strawman and gave a whispered command. Immediately, the figure jumped up and ran down the tunnel. Rox bowed his head and said a silent prayer that his message would reach aboveground. After all, it was their only hope.