A facepalm cover quote.

Ardjet

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
23 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

that quote is stupid.

everyone knows the book cannot take away your breath unless you part with it willingly. at most, the book can torture you in an attempt to get you to say the words.

so, does that mean there is a tiny mechanized torturer inside the book? :o

I mean, the cover flap was annoyingly taped on and rustled while I read. I guess I would have gotten annoyed enough to give it my Breath and Awaken it to stop rustling. So maybe?

23 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

that quote is stupid.

everyone knows the book cannot take away your breath unless you part with it willingly. at most, the book can torture you in an attempt to get you to say the words.

so, does that mean there is a tiny mechanized torturer inside the book? :o

Quite difficult, since such things as books require a lot of breaths to become awakened, i guess somewhere around 100-200 would be required to make it torture people. To use that many breaths in a long-term investment (pun unintended) to gain the occasional breath of one or two people is not very efficient.

• 2 months later...
On 10/12/2016 at 3:24 PM, king of nowhere said:

that quote is stupid.

Well it would have been a bit of a spoiler for Moorcock to have said, "It'll make you give your breath away!"

And a little creepy on top of that to say on the cover, "An exceptional tale... Brandon Sanderson, my breath become yours!"

I guess he ran out of space to make a comment about how he appreciated the lack of off-color jokes in the book.

I wasn't completely sure what I expected this thread to be, but I certainly didn't expect it to be bad puns.

I just spent ten minutes trying to think of a bad pun. Please, leave me in peace until I can come up with one.

Got one. So, I guess you could say that finding a tiny mechanised torturer in your book would be a bit of a...rude awakening...

Edited by A Budgie
I HAVE A PUN

9 hours ago, A Budgie said:

I guess you could say that finding a tiny mechanised torturer in your book would be a bit of a...rude awakening...

Heh. I would imagine a "rude Awakening" very differently.  You could give (in)suitably shaped objects all sorts of naughty Commands.

In fact, I bet only a lack of prurience keeps Brandon from revealing that there are definitely specialty Awakener shops in T'Telir, with names like "Le Chat Noir" or whatever the Hallendren equivalent would be (maybe "Kalad's Pant-ums"), who hire their skills out by taking whatever object you give them, Awakening them for the 5 or 10 minutes you're allowed in a private booth in the back, followed by taking the Breath back from the object. Very discreet. No names, no pictures, no questions, just an Awakening charge and a potential clean-up penalty surcharge.

Edited by robardin
ha, "prurience" means the exact opposite of what I wrote originally

• Chaos locked this topic