Warbreaker sand

Thom Mayvin

I was rereading Warbreaker today and came by this:

"Then we begin in the distant haze," the storyteller said, bringing up another hand, letting powdery black sand drop from it, mixing with the sand that fell from the first hand. As Siri watched, the black sand turned white, and she cocked her head, smiling at the display.

-Warbreaker, page 375 paperback version (emphasys added)

Since I've read White Sand just a few days ago it did tickle my brain if the white and black sands Hoid used could be from Taldain. It's nothing big but it could be an easter egg like Mraize's white sand bottle, since we have got that also before the graphic novel release.

I just thought to share it to see what you guys think and if someone managed to get Brandon to answer in a signing or something if it's actual Taldain sand or just some other regular sand.

Oh and also, how does Life Sense permit someone to sense the minds of objects wanting to be Awakened? Vivenna metions often how she can feel the objects wanting to be alive again, besides peoples presence. Thats why I think it is Life Sense that does that.

What are your thoughts?

Nice catch! Hmmm, but isn't the sand changing to the wrong color if Hoid was using Sand Mastery? It should go from white to black, no? I wonder if he either found a way to infuse the sand, if it is a mistake, or if it is a red herring.

Edited by CaptainRyan

@CaptainRyanbut when the sand recharges it turns from black to white, I know this way doesn't make much sense from what we know but hoid might be able to recharge it somehow by infusing it with Investiture through some other magic system                                                                                                                                                                                                             @PallonianFire Yolish Lightweaving is different, here he is simply throwing stuff in the air, when he is Lightweaving he creates images, like when he is telling the Wandersail story to Kaladin. 

Well in the span of the story Hoid tells he has black sand, then white sand, then throws red and blue sand, then silver sand, then brown sand, then sand of a half dozen different colors, and finally yellow and black sand. Now Siri assumes that he is drawing handfuls of various colored sands from his pockets, as he seems to reach from different places for the different colors, and he also produces various items such as leaves, flowers, pieces of metal, and etc. However, another possibility could be it is all the same sand in his various pockets, and he is using Yolish lightweaving to change the color each time. 

Edited by Pathfinder

That's how I read it, too. He wasn't actually carrying all of that around, but just making it look like he was. Using sand/Lightweaving is something he does multiple times in the published books, and LoP* makes it clear it's an integral part of being a Jesk.

*Yeah, non-canon, but still.

• Chaos locked this topic