Senna

Sam Script

Just wanna spark the dead ashes; I know there have been discussions about the name. Wondering anyone has any new idea?

For those who don't know: Senna is a name Leras mentioned in Secret History. He merely awed/sighed "Oh, Senna..."

Some speculated she is an important one of Leras, or another Vessel.

What if it's Cultivation's Vessel?

Edited by Sam Script

There's been some speculation that she is Cultivation or at least a Vessel, but there's so much we don't know. First, Senna could just be an old lover/friend of Leras from before the Shattering who didn't become a Vessel. Then if she DID become a Vessel, there are still 8 Vessels whose names we don't know, so it's only a 1/8 chance it's Cultivation even if you make the "Shes a Vessel" assumption.

Yeah this is even more confusing than Ati talking about Vax.

My initial suspicion was that Senna was his greatest love before he became a Vessel, and that he left her(?) behind to do it. Definitely a case for WoB as she(?) might not be RAFO material if that's the case.

4 hours ago, Ari said:

Yeah this is even more confusing than Ati talking about Vax.

My initial suspicion was that Senna was his greatest love before he became a Vessel, and that he left her(?) behind to do it. Definitely a case for WoB as she(?) might not be RAFO material if that's the case.

If that is the case, then she will feature heavily in Dragonsteel, albeit not as heavily as the main 16 and Hoid.  In which case, she is definitely RAFO bait.  

Edited by Landis963

• 4 months later...

Brandon revealed Hoid had a little brother, why not say if Leras had a previous love interest ? That doesn't look very RAFO-bait or RAFO-material for me.

I don't know if it is linked to the rest of his whispering, but it looks like he is agologizing to someone for " [I'm] losing this place. Losing them all..."

The way he answered the question at the Chicago signing, I'm not sure if that means he planned for Hoid to have a little brother originally and forgot when asked or whether that's still the idea in his mind, though the way he started to answer the question (that he doesn't have any relatives for Hoid in his mind) suggests that whether he does or doesn't, it's not going to be significant or he wouldn't have forgotten which it is. xD

And yeah, any reference to unfamiliar names by the Vessels is probably going to be revealed whenever Dragonsteel is written since Brandon has said all of them plus Hoid (and presumably Frost, if he's not a Vessel) will all show up there and we'll get to see what they were like pre-Ascension. So a lot of questions on the subject are likely to get RAFO'd until then.

I think Brandon has hinted that a different group of 16 would have had different Shards after the shattering.  Which, if true implies that the original intents of the shards was coloured by those that did the shattering.  So what if Senna was someone Leras lost pre-shattering, leading him to blame Adonalsium for her loss?  Which resulted in him taking up the shardic intent of preservation to keep her memory, and prevent others from experiencing that loss.

Maybe Senna is not another vessel, but Leras' reason for joining the group that eventually killed God?

On 12/14/2016 at 0:07 PM, Weltall said:

And yeah, any reference to unfamiliar names by the Vessels is probably going to be revealed whenever Dragonsteel is written since Brandon has said all of them plus Hoid (and presumably Frost, if he's not a Vessel) will all show up there and we'll get to see what they were like pre-Ascension. So a lot of questions on the subject are likely to get RAFO'd until then.

Frost according to what we know (collecting it all in one place here for simplicity)  is (a) a dragon, (b) is on Yolen at the moment, and (c) is somewhat of a parton saint or an ideological father of the17th Shard. Which only makes sense if he does not hold any of the other 16.

Senna.... Brandon's MO in introducing Shards has been to drop hints and then squeeze information one bit at a time.  So, the mention of Senna may indeed be similar to how Bavadin was introduced originally, which means that two years from now we will finally get a WoB on whether she is a Vessel, and two more years later - what Shard she holds. Plus, in another ten months it may turn out that Senna is a man ((-:

• 5 weeks later...
On 12/15/2016 at 8:58 AM, Stark said:

I think Brandon has hinted that a different group of 16 would have had different Shards after the shattering.  Which, if true implies that the original intents of the shards was colored by those that did the shattering.

I looked at the WoB's, and they only say that he could have been broken in different ways. No mention of different people, but  either way, I still like your motivation for Leras idea.

Thanks for the vote of confidence @The One Who Connects!  The motivations of the original 16 are among my top curiosities.  I know that we have years before we learn anything, and they are massive RAFO bait, so I won't even bother asking for a WoB on those.

But I figure, no one wakes up one morning and decides to kill God for no good reason.  The decision to band together with fifteen other people (one of whom will eventually betray and try to kill the rest of you) who all have different motivations, murder God, and graft a portion of God's fresh corpse onto yourself?  That cannot be a choice anyone came to lightly.  And I have to figure, the reason they came to that group has to colour how each of the sixteen chose which Shard they grafted to.  

Something had to make Leras desire to have the power to Preserve, and then get stuck with the Intent to preserve all things without change.  I can see the loss of a loved one, be it a spouse, a child or other.  And then, at his moment of death, after thousands of years shepherding Scadrians into the Great Beyond, I can see him uttering her name as he finally goes to join her in the realm beyond his sight.

Well, another thought that I had (which I don't necessarily believe myself) is that it could be the name of his god. It has been a while since I've read it and I am aware that they knew what Adonalsium was but that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone thought it was god.  I wonder if any of the Shards believe in something like the God Beyond still.

1 minute ago, nervousnerd said:

Well, another thought that I had (which I don't necessarily believe myself) is that it could be the name of his god. It has been a while since I've read it and I am aware that they knew what Adonalsium was but that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone thought it was god.  I wonder if any of the Shards believe in something like the God Beyond still.

Is the bonus scene from Elantris is anything to go by, Hoid believes in the God Beyond, so I'd expect Shards might be open to it, as well.

• Chaos locked this topic