Mistborn movie posters/trailers

Doc12

19 minutes ago, Rob Lucci said:

I dunno, animated film just makes all of this so much easier than actually casted movie production. Gives the artists so much more freedom to maneuver.

Voice acting is easier on an animation too, because not everyone has a matching appearance and a fitting voice.
There is just something... real about movies with real people that animation sometimes has trouble capturing the essence of.

On 8/20/2016 at 4:27 PM, The One Who Connects said:

Voice acting is easier on an animation too, because not everyone has a matching appearance and a fitting voice.
There is just something... real about movies with real people that animation sometimes has trouble capturing the essence of.

I think that's true, but... in a few years (or even right now!) we might have technology capable of animating characters that actually look like people. I mean, Disney could probably do it but they like their stylizing. (Mini side note: I can't wait for Moana in November. Have you seen the beautiful animation of the trailers? It's SO AWESOME)

Anyway, my point is that maybe someday, if we wait a bit longer, we might be able to get the best of both worlds - animation for truly impossible feats and the perfect "actor", but have it seem real in a way that only live-action has done so far. I think it would be awesome (unless it already happens... that might be the case, tbh) to get the people who would design sets, costumes, props, makeup, shots, and everything else, then have them work on this sort of animated film as if it were a live action. That would make the "real" aspect huge. Animation right now is essentially making models move on a model set then positioning the virtual camera. It's not that unrealistic to be able to do this, I think.

(Admittedly, I'm not an expert)

On 8/22/2016 at 9:35 AM, Brightness Enna said:

I think that's true, but... in a few years (or even right now!) we might have technology capable of animating characters that actually look like people. I mean, Disney could probably do it but they like their stylizing. (Mini side note: I can't wait for Moana in November. Have you seen the beautiful animation of the trailers? It's SO AWESOME)

Anyway, my point is that maybe someday, if we wait a bit longer, we might be able to get the best of both worlds - animation for truly impossible feats and the perfect "actor", but have it seem real in a way that only live-action has done so far. I think it would be awesome (unless it already happens... that might be the case, tbh) to get the people who would design sets, costumes, props, makeup, shots, and everything else, then have them work on this sort of animated film as if it were a live action. That would make the "real" aspect huge. Animation right now is essentially making models move on a model set then positioning the virtual camera. It's not that unrealistic to be able to do this, I think.

(Admittedly, I'm not an expert)

This is definitely something on the horizon. And it might have a lot of interesting implications for future movies.

But it won't be easy.

Because people are so very attuned to the facial appearances of others... Anything slightly off, in such minute ways, will look extraordinarily uncanny to us. In fact, the closer you get to realistic without actually attaining perfect realism, the more uncanny it looks.

Now, if we can attain a perfectly natural looking animation then things will suddenly go perfectly. But there is no room for a halfway mark, which is part of why it is hard to make progress.

This, by the way, I'm pretty sure is also why Disney likes to stick to stylized images. A stylized image will not come across as unnatural at all, unlike what might happen if they tried to make realistic animated characters but didn't quite get it right.

On 8/24/2016 at 11:05 AM, Drake Marshall said:

This is definitely something on the horizon. And it might have a lot of interesting implications for future movies.

But it won't be easy.

Because people are so very attuned to the facial appearances of others... Anything slightly off, in such minute ways, will look extraordinarily uncanny to us. In fact, the closer you get to realistic without actually attaining perfect realism, the more uncanny it looks.

Now, if we can attain a perfectly natural looking animation then things will suddenly go perfectly. But there is no room for a halfway mark, which is part of why it is hard to make progress.

This, by the way, I'm pretty sure is also why Disney likes to stick to stylized images. A stylized image will not come across as unnatural at all, unlike what might happen if they tried to make realistic animated characters but didn't quite get it right.

Of course. This is the issue. (Unless you *meant* for your characters to look slightly off. I mean, you could do some interesting things in a world where everybody is supposedly perfect.)

I think that, until we reach that perfect point - it will probably happen someday - it would be best to take real people and have them act, then use CGI to modify their features until they look right. I mean, look what happened with Gollum, Snoke, Rocket, Groot... although those modifications are more extreme than what I'm thinking. It wouldn't be too extremely difficult to have a voice actor record the lines and the actual person actor pretend to speak them. Somehow. There are multiple ways you could swing that.

Perhaps you could take detailed 3D models of a few people you like the look of and combine them into the perfect "actor". Someday in the future.

Yes... Someday we will have this. It will probably result in some very good productions.

Although things like Gollum, Snoke, Rocket, and Groot are actually perhaps easier to do than a normal human. Because I mean, Gollum and Snoke are meant to look a little off. And Rocket and Groot certainly aren't meant to pass off as normal.

The animation is really quite impressive (I'll try to keep away from "a" adjectives if I can :P). I still feel like the original mistborn trilogy sort of deserves a classical style movie, but that doesn't change the fact that this is incredibly well done (there, now I'm using all "i" adjectives... hm... I wonder if people unconsciously do this very often?). The drawer's way of depicting steelpushes was inventive (now I'm just doing it on purpose).

Also they appear to have done a second mistborn scene.

Edited by Drake Marshall

One thing I would be wary of in the trailers: don't put in things like 'I write these words in metal...' since they are kinda too spoilery. That's the big one. The trailers are really great, but I think they might not really convey a sense of what is going to happen well. They are kinda all over the place. Maybe cut some of the arcs and just concentrate on two or three. TFE trailer was by far the best of them.

30 minutes ago, Djarskublar said:

One thing I would be wary of in the trailers: don't put in things like 'I write these words in metal...' since they are kinda too spoilery. That's the big one. The trailers are really great, but I think they might not really convey a sense of what is going to happen well. They are kinda all over the place. Maybe cut some of the arcs and just concentrate on two or three. TFE trailer was by far the best of them.

How is that spoilery? It's in one of the first scenes with Sazed at the start of WoA. I agree that the trailers feel a bit decentralized. TFE trailer definitely sells the idea the best. WoA is a lot more vague.

@Spoolofwhool I agree, WoA is pretty vague. But that's because the book itself has a huge scope, and I think @Doctor12 was trying to hit many of the story points and separate arcs. The trailers are awesome though. 

Also, regarding "I write these words in steel, for anything not set in metal cannot be trusted.": I think it's a totally acceptable way to start the movie and/or the trailer. It's what started off the book and I think that it gives only ominous foreshadowing. Sure, looking back it was one of those super-obvious-Enna-you-fool moments, but reading it for the first time was actually a little terrifying for me.

"I write these words in steel" is actually the very first words in Well of Ascension, if I recall correctly. Sanderson always has those small passages at the beginning of a chapter and "I write these words in steel" is the beginning of the text he puts in those chapter beginnings. So it definitely isn't a spoiler.

I mean, yes, they do kind of relate to the ultimate plot of the entire book. But when I saw those first words, I sure didn't realize that until much later in the book.

Can I just make a small suggestion for the final empire trailer. Can we start the trailer with vin saying "Sometimes, I worry that I'm not the hero everyone thinks I am. The  philosophers assure me that this is the time, that the signs have been met. But I still wonder if they have the wrong man. So many people depend on me. They say I will hold the future of the entire world on my arms. What would they think if they knew that their champion - the Hero of Ages, their savior - doubted himself? Perhaps they wouldn't be shocked at all. In a way, this is what worries me most. Maybe, in their hearts, they wonder - Just as I do. When they see me, do they see a liar?" Or something to that extent or maybe shortend to something. I think that would be amazing foreshadowing.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 4:02 AM, Doctor12 said:

Ash falls from the sky.  A city where people move with downcast heads and empty expressions while the nobles feast.

A young urchin girl in an alley,  dirty,  blackened.  Watching.

'When you're alone... No one can betray you.'

Flashes of her in the thieving crew,  her brother betraying her, camon viciously slapping her.

“I... I can make luck. I can influence people into becoming less angry.  Less dangerous”

Her inside a Tavern, camon about to hit her again.  She raising her hand as a silent pulse hits Camon.  He slows for an infinite moment, grows furious again and charges her.

BANG
The door bursts open and camon is flung across the room.

The girl,  looking up hesitantly. Kelsier extends a hand.

“Who are  you? What do you want with me?”

“You're a very special person,  Vin. You're Mistborn.”

Vin frowns. “What's a mistborn?”

Kelsier smiles.

A rapid fire sequence of shots as Kelsier dry voice speaks. "None shall live" by Two steps from hell plays. 

"it means you have powers, Vin. "

“Steel pushing… Iron pulling”

Kelsier vaults across a room,  a single ingot zipping around him, slamming into hazekillers, The blue lines spraying around a room. 

“Playing with emotions”

Emotional allomancy is portrayed as a half invisible wave passing  over a crowd. Breeze smiles as a room quiets down.  An inquisitor riots a crowd into an uproar.

“Enhanced senses… enhanced strength.”

Spook raises his head as he hears footsteps far away.  Ham takes down three guards with surprising  speed.

“You can even hide your allomancy... “

Clubs,   weaving an intangible cloud around around the hideout. Some inquisitors pass. Quietly.

His voices catches. “And discover it.”

Mare,  Kelsier and Redd in kredik Shaw. Redd trying to weave a coppercloud and failing.  Their faces blanch with fear as Inquisitors arrive.

“Aaaand a bit extra ”

Kelsier holds up the Eleventh metal
“You've entered a whole new world,  Vin.”

BASS DROP

Leaping across rooftops. Vin laughs as she soars through the mists, cloak flapping.  Kelsier vaults into a hall, glass knife extended. Vin entering a ballroom,  gaping around her in wonder.  Elend looking up from a book. Kelsier shouting to a crowd of skaa,  scarred arms raised. Sazed smiling warmly at Vin. The crew training Vin to use her powers. Vin running from Inquisitors. Vin gaping  as skaa are bloodily executed in a square.  Kelsier screaming “SURVIVE!”

FADE TO BLACK

(like the one in the civil war trailer)

Vins’ voice. “You haven't told me.  What do you want me for?”

Ash falling. Kredik Shaw looming. The Lord Ruler watching  a slaughter of skaa,  draped in black and white. Twelve Steel Inquistors stand around him.

A firelit room. Kelsier gesturing at a blackboard with the steps from the book. He grins at Vin.

“Vin. How would you like to help overthrow a God King?”

Fade to Black

MISTBORN :THE FINAL EMPIRE
Kelsier’s voice   “There's always another secret.”

My suggestion

*You are not a misting Vin, you are something more, you are Mistborn*

Something like that after the 10 metals

• Chaos locked this topic