Mistborn movie posters/trailers

Doc12

On ‎2016‎-‎07‎-‎24 at 5:02 AM, Doctor12 said:

MISTBORN :THE FINAL EMPIRE
Kelsier’s voice   “There's always another secret.”

I think the quote here should be "i am what you can never kill, I am hope" its a bigger part of the story with more meaning, otherwise its amazing, could picture it perfectly and it flows really well

Edited by The_God_King

I actually kind of like "There's always another secret" better... I mean the "i am what you can never kill, I am hope" works well too, and it is more in line with the immediate story and a little more intense...

Thing is, for the first mistborn movie, it would be cool to see "There's always another secret" because it's sort of an iconic Kelsier line. I think some fans would enjoy seeing that in the first ever mistborn movie trailer. Well, I know I would, anyway.

5 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

I actually kind of like "There's always another secret" better... I mean the "i am what you can never kill, I am hope" works well too, and it is more in line with the immediate story and a little more intense...

Thing is, for the first mistborn movie, it would be cool to see "There's always another secret" because it's sort of an iconic Kelsier line. I think some fans would enjoy seeing that in the first ever mistborn movie trailer. Well, I know I would, anyway.

I agree! "There's always another secret" has a kind of ring to it. It makes me feel really excited and happy for some reason. I'm weird, I know. But it would sound epic in a trailer!

For a HoA poster idea featuring Ruin (did we ever get a proper description beyond black mist?)

Ruin, ascended above the land, slightly shrouded by blackened mist, a faint smile on his face.
With the quote: "You're all on my side Vin, each and every one of you. Zane, Yomen, your dear Emperor Venture..."

Yes I know, the classic "villain poster" trope, but I think it could work. Assuming I find an physical description in my reread.

2 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

2 hours ago, I_am_a_Stick said:

I agree! "There's always another secret" has a kind of ring to it

Very well, I just found it more intense, but popular demand speaks otherwise, stick with what you have, though I suggest you change the final sentence for HoA then since they are the same

2 hours ago, The_God_King said:

Very well, I just found it more intense, but popular demand speaks otherwise, stick with what you have, though I suggest you change the final sentence for HoA then since they are the same

I was trying to go for a legacy feel,  like Kell said it in the first book, and Vin sees how true it is. This line is one of the encapsulating quotes of the series. Kell dominated book one, and so how cool would it be to see Vin at the third book finally saying it,  sort of reclaiming the spot of most important character? I don't know,  just my reasoning 

4 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

(did we ever get a proper description beyond black mist?)

Of Ruin? Well technically he was pretty much black mist.

Although we know that Ati had red hair because Sazed saw his body.

And in Secret History it describes a slightly more vivid depiction of Ruin, when Kelsier talks to him... However, I think a special effects team would find it very challenging to depict the Secret History description because it was sort of meant to be logic defying.

Also what do people think about a Secret History movie? If the trilogy was sufficiently successful, I imagine that movie producers might see Secret History as an attractive means of delivering a sequel.

Edited by Drake Marshall

29 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

And in Secret History it describes a slightly more vivid depiction of Ruin, when Kelsier talks to him... However, I think a special effects team would find it very challenging to depict the Secret History description because it was sort of meant to be logic defying.

Also what do people think about a Secret History movie? If the trilogy was sufficiently successful, I imagine that movie producers might see Secret History as an attractive means of delivering a sequel.

I'm not sure that Secret History translates well to a movie. If it isn't handled well we get the hobbit movies, a single book padded out and spread over a long movie that confuses non readers and pisses off readers. I think secret history might work well as a sort of bonus content on discs,  since book fans are going to buy them anyway right? 

24 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:
5 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

(did we ever get a proper description beyond black mist?)

I could've sworn Vin mentioned him looking like Reen at some point, but the Coppermind doesn't give him a physical description either. Maybe I misread earlier.

27 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

I could easily see this, but... I don't know. I feel like if the Era 1 trilogy does really well, the fans will be clamoring for Era 1.5 with Wax/Wayne.

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

I could've sworn Vin mentioned him looking like Reen at some point, but the Coppermind doesn't give him a physical description either. Maybe I misread earlier.

I'm pretty sure that's just Ruin taking on a form based on the characters mind, not his true form. Spook saw him as Kelsier, right? 

6 hours ago, Doctor12 said:

I'm pretty sure that's just Ruin taking on a form based on the characters mind, not his true form. Spook saw him as Kelsier, right? 

I don't think we know what ruin looks like, his solid form was atium, right? Though we know that Ati had red hair

2 minutes ago, I_am_a_Stick said:

I don't think we know what ruin looks like, his solid form was atium, right? Though we know that Ati had red hair

I think the closest we get to seeing his true form was in Secret History, where 

Spoiler

Inside the Cognitive Realm, Kelsier sees the blackness under the Well of Ascension. Or when Ruin speaks to Kelsier throughout Ati's form. 

11 hours ago, Doctor12 said:

I was trying to go for a legacy feel,  like Kell said it in the first book, and Vin sees how true it is. This line is one of the encapsulating quotes of the series. Kell dominated book one, and so how cool would it be to see Vin at the third book finally saying it,  sort of reclaiming the spot of most important character? I don't know,  just my reasoning 

ok

10 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

I think that would be confusing as crap for anyone who isn't Cosmere aware or hasn't actually read the series, so I don't know whether that one would be the best idea, after all its not really crucial to the series, its crucial to the Cosmere, it would probably be smarter to skip to Arch 2 with Wax and Wayne 

15 hours ago, The One Who Connects said:

For a HoA poster idea featuring Ruin (did we ever get a proper description beyond black mist?)

yah, as everyone else has said you would probably have to do Ati

16 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

14 hours ago, Doctor12 said:

6 hours ago, The_God_King said:

yah, as everyone else has said you would probably have to do Ati

HoA Chapter 76: "Ruin no longer looked like Reen. Instead, he manifested as a large patch of shifting black smoke. A thing without a body, but with a consciousness greater than that of a simple human." So yes, you guys are right. Smoke and mist.

But in Chapter 81, Elend sees Vin: "A shifting, brilliant personage of pure white. Her hands held to his shoulders with her head thrown back, white hair streaming, mist flaring behind her like wings that stretched across the sky." It stands to reason that Ruin could appear as Ati (at least slightly) while in mist-form. Perhaps head and a slight torso that fades into mist.

Oh I know that Secret History would be a difficult movie. I'm not necessarily even saying it should be a movie.

I'm just saying, once they exhaust mistborn era 1 and mistborn era 1.5, and then things lie fallow for a couple of years, someone will want to come out with another one and look to Secret History. I can see it happening.

On the bright side, Sanderson would probably only let someone make that movie if he thought it could actually work (assuming that the secret history rights are sold separately from the main trilogy and second era stuff).

1 hour ago, Doctor12 said:

Secret History might work best as an animation actually, as the cognitive realm is gonna be a pain to cgi in real life 

Animation rotoscoped over clips from the movie version of TFE, I'd say.  (Because I have a lot of trouble thinking of a situation where SH is adapted before TFE is) Helping sell the fact that Kelsier isn't a full-fledged human anymore.  

@Doctor12 Now that you mention it, the "Ring" effects do bear some resemblance. If nothing else, they provide somewhat of a reference image that we previously didn't have.
@Rob Lucci & Doctor12: I'd kinda want to see a "Physics with Kelsier" of that humor as a bonus feature for TFE dvd. Maybe something like it with Sazed or Vin for the next 2 movies

On 8/18/2016 at 8:16 PM, Doctor12 said:

I'm not sure that Secret History translates well to a movie.
. . .
I think secret history might work well as a sort of bonus content on discs,  since book fans are going to buy them anyway right? 

I thought about that and came up with another idea. Granted, its based on an assumption which is as follows: Unless we get a Devoted Movie Team, some scenes from the books will get cut from the film for time limits/excessive wordiness. It's just what happens nowadays

The Lord of the Rings extended editions add nearly an hour each to film length. I could see adding scenes from SH to the extended versions along with things dropped from the original cut.

Opinions, comments, concerns?

34 minutes ago, Rob Lucci said:

The humor would work best on an animated basis IMO. Just make Mistborn into an anime, I'd watch that.

I'm not sure if the primary highlight of mistborn is humor...

15 hours ago, Doctor12 said:

Secret History might work best as an animation actually, as the cognitive realm is gonna be a pain to cgi in real life 

Maybe. It would sort of make sense. I agree that it would probably be best to not make it a full movie sequel of its own.

13 hours ago, Doctor12 said:

I imagine the Scadrial cognitive realm to be a lot like the effect frodo or bilbo gets when they put on the ring. Blurry outlines, mist everywhere. Anyone else see this? 

The ring effect for the cognitive realm would be cool, although probably not the exact same thing. Actually, if it were the exact same thing and went into SH, watching an entire movie with that effect applied might give people headaches. Still, the misty appearance is a step in the right direction for sure.

1 hour ago, The One Who Connects said:

@Doctor12 Now that you mention it, the "Ring" effects do bear some resemblance. If nothing else, they provide somewhat of a reference image that we previously didn't have.
@Rob Lucci & Doctor12: I'd kinda want to see a "Physics with Kelsier" of that humor as a bonus feature for TFE dvd. Maybe something like it with Sazed or Vin for the next 2 movies

I thought about that and came up with another idea. Granted, its based on an assumption which is as follows: Unless we get a Devoted Movie Team, some scenes from the books will get cut from the film for time limits/excessive wordiness. It's just what happens nowadays

The Lord of the Rings extended editions add nearly an hour each to film length. I could see adding scenes from SH to the extended versions along with things dropped from the original cut.

Opinions, comments, concerns?

I mean I think it's probably good that some scenes get cut out and reduced. To do a good job converting a book to a movie, sometimes you sort of need to cut out some things and simplify it down a bit. I think Sanderson once said something similar when discussing movies.

But an extended edition with Secret History content... Hm... It would be interesting, certainly. I wonder if including Kelsier's story like this would be confusing though, because it would pretty much have to go back and forth between the main story arc and Kelsier simultaneously experiencing the same events. With some truly masterful production it might be feasible though. It would certainly make people more interested in getting the extended version, since it would actually have content that comes from a totally new book.

9 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

The ring effect for the cognitive realm would be cool, although probably not the exact same thing. Actually, if it were the exact same thing and went into SH, watching an entire movie with that effect applied might give people headaches. Still, the misty appearance is a step in the right direction for sure.

I had a similar thought to this, albeit a while back during the discussion of showing the magic on-screen. The headache inducing effect that time being atium shadows. Kelsier vs Inquisitor becomes hazy and cluttered with shadow projections, to name one instance. Granted if we're watching the fight from above/the side (Like Vin's POV) she wouldn't see them and problem solved.

But my idea was to show that they both had atium (shadows from Kel and Inq pov) and then do fights without the shadows, unless Brandon mentions them for a specific reason. Looking at you Vin...

16 minutes ago, Drake Marshall said:

I wonder if including Kelsier's story like this would be confusing though, because it would pretty much have to go back and forth between the main story arc and Kelsier simultaneously experiencing the same events. With some truly masterful production it might be feasible though.

The following idea goes off my recollection of freeing Ruin at the Well scene in both books. Any scene with multiple characters would likely have several camera angle changes (looking at vin, elend, mist spirit, etc..) I propose splicing some of Kel's view and lines between those changes.

WoA shows the mist spirit drawing his knife and stabbing Elend right?
Elend PoV: Lingers on mist spirit with the knife
Kel PoV: Grab Preservation's arm and stab Elend with it (Can replace the physical stab moment from the original version if needed)
Vin Pov: Her crying out to Elend, or whatever she actually did. Crying out made sense when I typed this

Clearly, I am not the "masterful production you speak of