D&D- Desolations and Dustbringers

Assassin in Burgundy

2 minutes ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

Hmm. I'll have to read that. 

It's also hilariously raunchy and quotable.

“... It's perfect! Locke would appreciate it."

"Bug," Calo said, "Locke is our brother and our love for him knows no bounds. But the four most fatal words in the Therin language are 'Locke would appreciate it.'"

"Rivalled only by 'Locke taught me a new trick,'" added Galo.

"The only person who gets away with Locke Lamora games ..."

"... is Locke ..."

"... because we think the gods are saving him up for a really big death. Something with knives and hot irons ..."

"... and fifty thousand cheering spectators.”

RECORD ONE – “TEN YEARS AGO”

A TAVERN, SESEMALEX DAR.  AGE 25.

"Well, I guess that means farewell for now, friend. I’m sorry the meeting wasn’t more productive," Ienzo said, rising from his chair and walking to the door. He had been seated at a table in a small, upstairs room of a tavern. Across the table from him was Braig, a casually-dressed man with black hair long in the back.

"Farewell, my king," Braig replied.

“You know I hate being called that,” Ienzo snapped.

“There was a time when you didn’t.”

Ienzo froze, hand partway to the doorknob.

Braig continued: “There was a time…when you would have given anything to be called king.”

Ienzo turned from the door to face his friend. They exchanged a long look. Finally, Ienzo broke the silence. “That was six years ago. They won’t accept what I am now. Look at me, Braig. Do I look like the kind of man to rule a kingdom?”

Braig paused for a moment, then gave his signature grin. “Yes, Ienzo. You do.”

Ienzo snorted. “Six years ago, I was naïve enough to think I could be king.”

“You’re right—as of six years ago. You’ve changed. You’re not the man you were six years ago. Back then, you thought you could be king.” Braig paused, then continued dramatically, “But now, you can be king.”

“Profound words,” Ienzo said, then sighed. “If only it were that easy—waltz right into Vilzier and plop down on my throne. That’s just not possible anymore. It’s a stronghold, Braig. I can’t return.”

“But you must.”

“Why? My family is dead. There’s no one or nothing I care about in Vilzier. Not anymore.”

“Is that what you truly believe, deep down in your heart? They are your people. You are the heir, the only rightful heir.”

“Well then, maybe they need to find a new heir!” Ienzo was yelling now. “Maybe they need to find someone foolish enough to lead a doomed idealistic quest to save a doomed people!”

Ienzo’s last word hung in the air. Moments passed. An awful silence filled the room. Then, softly, Braig uttered a single word that pierced the air, a word that deeply pierced Ienzo’s soul. “Ayra.”

It was as if time had stopped. Slowly, as if moving through syrup, Ienzo edged his way over to the chair across from Braig and collapsed in it. His head fell into his hands, and he sobbed.

Cross-hallways. Servants' staircases. Deserted corridors. All blended into a monotone of night and stone, illuminated only by Bargo's flickering light.

"Up ahead is the final sets of stairs. Two floors up and we're there."

"Good."

Norshon crept forward: he could see it all in his head now. A red room illuminating the black night. A shadow of death that never was found. He--

He was snapped back to reality by a set of footsteps. Ahead of him, a single darkeyed servant was walking down the stairs toward him, a floor and a half up. Norshon, being a lighteyes, was above being questioned by one of so low of a station, but still the sight filled him with dread.

Bargo spoke in a whisper the thickness of mist, "If he sees us we're done for."

"He saw us all right." Norshon whispered, mindful that this servant could hear him even when hidden from view by the large banisters.

"Then we'll have to take him. But no burning, that'd be too suspicious."

Norshon straightened his poise and walked towards the servant, who was just beginning to come down the final flight of stairs.

Keep cool. Keep calm. If you don't act suspicious, he won't be suspicious.

"Calm night. Great one for a murder, don't you think?" Norshon addressed the servant, who immediately did a double-take.

Perfect.

Sucking in stormlight from the pack on his back, Norshon slicked the stairs directly under the servant. The darkeyes' feet suddenly slid forward and the unfortunate servant fell, striking the stairs with his back, then side, then head. He rolled, end over end, to the bottom, where renewed friction finally stopped his fall. The terrible sound reverberated throughout the room. Norshon listened. Silence, not even breathing from the servant. Then... footsteps. One pair. No, two. Norshon sprinted up the first flight of stairs and dived behind a banister for cover as two darkeyed guards entered the hall.

"Did ya hear somethin', Van?" The first soldier was obviously drunk, but still appeared to be on duty.

"Yeah, I reckon I did." The second soldier was as inebriated as the first.

"Hey! Lookie here! Looks like ol' Gaz's sleepin' on the job!"

"He ain't sleepin'! Look! He's got a big ol' crack in 'is head!"

"If ther' is a crack in 'is head, 'es prob'ly dead!"

Both soldiers stopped to laugh at their dull-witted humor. Norshon sat and waited.

"Say, what do we do with 'im? Leave 'im for the lighteyes to smell?"

Both laughed again.

"Nah, this 'un owes me some money from our game a few days back. I'll just collect it now 'n' be done with it!"

One of the soldiers stooped down and retrieved the servant's leather satchel. He opened it and rummaged inside, returning with a few garnet chips.

"Not much on 'im, is there? At this rate I'm gonna have to clean out a couple more like him to make up for what you lost me t'night."

"I lost it? You tol' me he had two queens of chulls, not three!"

The soldiers' drunken voices faded as they left, still bickering about cards and money. Both failed to remember that they had just encountered a dead body.

Well... We're almost there!

Spoiler

First of all…

I forgot to add daggers and warhammers into the weapons. I’m going to do that now.

Dagger: 1 rm. Dmg: 1-4 against small and med, 1-6 against large. Must use one handed. Special: Can attack three times a turn (total) if using two at once.

Dagger AC adjustment:

AC 2

AC 3

AC 4

AC 5

AC 6

AC 7

AC 8

AC 9

AC 10

+0

+0

+1

+3

+3

Warhammer: 7 rm. Dmg: 2-8 against small and med, 1-8 against large. Bonus for two handed: +1 dmg. Special: Breaks shield after three blocks.

Warhammer AC adjustment:

AC 2

AC 3

AC 4

AC 5

AC 6

AC 7

AC 8

AC 9

AC 10

+0

+0

+0

+1

+1

+2

+2

+2

+3

Skills and Stormlight

Here’s where you learn how to do stuff. You have 150 skill points. This may change. How this works is you can give them to certain skills, and have that be the chance of success. For example, Lorien wants to put 70 skill points into lockpicking and 40 into sneaking. This would then give him a 70% chance at picking a lock, with adjustments for being advanced or a simple lock. He would also have a 40% chance at sneaking past people, with adjustments for if they were alert or falling asleep. You can have as many skills as you want, but not have a very good chance on them, or you could invest a ton into a few choice skills and nail it every time. On some, like Stabbing, they will have a certain point quota to meet to get an extra HP of damage or something. Surgebindings will be discussed later.

Melee Combat Skills:

Slicing: This refers to using the Long Sword and Two Handed Sword. For every 25 SP (Skill Points) you invest in this, you gain an extra +1 to both damage and to hit. If you invest 75, in addition to +3/+3, you can break shields after three blocks.

Stabbing: Refers to dagger. For every 25 SP you invest, you gain an extra +1 to damage or to hit. You choose as you invest, and that cannot be changed. If you invest 75 in this, in addition to getting +3 to damage or to hit, you may attack twice with a dagger in one turn. You will also get an extra 10% chance in backstabbing, but only if you also invest in that skill.

Whacking: Refers to Morningstar, Warhammer, and Battle Axe. For every 25 Sp you invest in this, you gain an extra +2 to damage.

Ranged Combat Skills:

Sniping: Refers to Long Bow and Short Bow. For every 25 skill points you invest in this, you act like you are one interval closer than you actually are, and remove the penalties for being far away.

Throwing: Refers to Throwing Knife and Throwing Axe. See the skill “Sniping” and apply it to here.

Speedy Reloading: Refers to Heavy Crossbow. If you invest 50 SP into this, it only takes you one turn to reload the Heavy Crossbow. This is not cumulative.

Recovery chance: Refers to all ranged weapons. For every 20 SP you invest into this, you upgrade the recovery chance by 10%.

(And now, the moment we’ve all been waiting for…)

Rogue-y Skills!

Pickpocketing: Refers to taking things from pockets without being noticed. For every SP you invest in this, you gain +1% chance. Everyone starts with a 10% chance, regardless of investing.

Lockpicking: Refers to opening locks. For every SP you invest in this, you gain +1% chance. Everyone starts with a 15% chance, regardless of investing. You must have Lockpicks to utilize this skill.

Detection: Refers to finding hidden doors, traps, and seeing if someone is following you or has weapons. For every SP you invest in this, you gain +1% chance. Tell me if you are actively looking for these things, and you gain a +10% chance.

Sneaky-sneak: Refers to not being seen or heard. For every SP you invest in this, you gain +1% chance. If you have more than 50 SQ, you lose 10% chance. Everyone starts with a +10% chance.

Backstabbing: Refers to stabbing someone in the back. For every 25 SP, you gain x2 damage with the dagger. This does not work if you are seen or if you are not behind them.

Physical Skills:

Toughness: For every 25 SP you invest in this, you gain 1 HP.

Dexterity: For every 25 SP you invest in this, you lower your armor class by one, but only if you’re using no armor, leather, studded, or chain mail.

Strength: For every 25 SP you invest in this, you gain +1 damage. For every 50, you gain +2 damage and +1 to hit.

Surgebinding

Every player starts with two Surges determined by their class. They will be listed in this table below.

Player Name

Game name

Class

Surge 1

Surge 2

Conquestor

Lorien

Windrunner

Adhesion

Gravitation

Ecthelion III

Ienzo

Dustbringer

Division

Abrasion

AliasSheep

Shalel

Willshaper

Transportation

Cohesion

Elenion

Norshon

Dustbringer

Division

Abrasion

Quadrophenia

Camorr

Elsecaller

Transformation

Transportation

Using a Surge requires Stormlight. Depending on what you’re doing, it can be more or less. With some Surges, you can upgrade them with SP’s. I would recommend reading this Coppermind article on them. ---> http://coppermind.net/wiki/Surgebinding. Actually please read that because I’m not going to explain what each Surge does in great detail. You have 100 SQ at max. Here they are.

Oh, and everyone can heal one HP a turn, for 5 SQ.

Windrunner:

Adhesion: Sticks things together. You do not have to be touching the object. Costs 5 SQ for palm-sized things, 10 SQ for still kind of small things, 15 for man-sized, and 20 for larger. Sticking a human requires 25 and a base roll of 13. That may vary. You can spend 25 SP to lower that number by one. That is not cumulative.

Gravitation: Makes you fly or an arrow magnet. Must be touching object. For you to run on walls takes 20 SQ per three turns. To keep someone on a wall takes 20 SQ per turn. To make something else fly, follow the guidelines for adhesion but add 5 SQ to the cost. Reverse lashing takes 5 SQ to maintain, and you must be maintaning contact.

Dustbringer:

Division: Fire! Nothing more to say. When shooting a fireball, you may choose to make it worth 5, 10, or 15 HP’s. 5 HP costs 10 SQ, 10 HP costs 15 SQ, and 15 costs 20 SQ. Follow Long Bow AC adjustments, but there is no range for this. For 50 SP you can make two fireballs (Any amount of HP) and get a free one that is one level less then the one’s you just made. For example, if Ienzo has this skill and makes two 10 HP (I’ll call that level 2) fireballs, he gets a free 5 HP (Level 1) fireball with no extra SQ cost.

Abrasion: Friction on/off switch. For 10 SQ a turn, you turn a patch of ground frictionless. For anything larger than 10 meters, it requires 20 SQ. When someone is in that patch, they must roll at least a fifteen to keep their feet, otherwise they fall and are open to attack much more easily.

Willshaper:

Transportation: Teleporting. For 10 SQ, you can transport yourself to a place you’ve seen before or can currently see. It’s an additional 5 SQ per person you bring along. It takes 20 SQ to transport someone who isn’t willing.

Cohesion: Turning stuff into butter. For 10 SQ you can push yourself through wood. For 15 SQ you can push yourself through metal. For 20 SQ you can push yourself through stuff like armor or treated metal. You cannot push yourself through organic matter or Shards.

Elsecaller:

Transformation: Soulcasting. For 5 SQ you can turn something small into something else. For 10 SQ you can turn something man-sized into something else. For 15 SQ you can turn something larger than man-sized into something else. For 50 SQ you can turn armor or weapons into something else. For 100 SQ you can turn a human into something else.

Transportation: See Willshapers.

Replenishing Stormlight

This table basically says how much SQ a currency restores you.

DC: 6

DM: 10

DB: 14

RC: 20

RM: 30

RB: 34

SC: 40

SM: 46

SB: 50

EC: 54

EM: 60

EB: 80

Okay, I think we’re done! Please start opening private PM’s with me to send in your final orders for equipment and skills. Feel free to discuss in the group PM, but for actually buying the stuff and saying what skills you want, please open a private PM with just you and I. Please label it just your character’s name. I’ll see if I can make a Google Doc and make online character sheets to keep track of everything.

Oh- I inevitably should have changed or added something in this. Please tell me if I need to.

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Assassin in Burgundy said:

Sorry. Real-life crap is nothing me down. I'll try and figure out character sheets by next week. Also, there is a player slot open to anyone who wants to join. 

Hey, I've been there. And I'm still in the game if you need me!

• 2 weeks later...