The true Master of the Oathstone

So I was rereading the first chapter of WoK, where Szeth killed Gavilar. According to the chapter, before Szeth even tried to kill him, he noticed a Makabaki man with a pale crescent shaped mark on his cheek talking to a Parshendi, if I remember correctly. This, of course, is Darkness, or

Spoiler

The Herald of Justice, Nalan.

Darkness tried to kill Lift because she was using powers that "could return the Desolations to this world," and in Ym's case, he didn't show mercy, even though Ym had spent most of his life doing good by giving poor people shoes. And Gavilar who 

Spoiler

was trying to return the Desolations so the Knights Radiant would return,

is kind of a mix between both of their cases. He was trying to/could return the Desolations, (Lift), but he still had somewhat good intentions, (Ym). So I believe that Szeth's real employer was not the Parshendi, but Darkness, or Darkness was influencing the Parshendi to send Szeth after Gavilar. Also, this is probably just a coincidence, but the name Darkness may have a connection with Gavilar's black sphere.

So, am I correct, or partly? If so, (or not), please comment.

Thanks!

Eshonai's perspective in Words of Radiance seems to make it clear that the Parshendi acted out of desperation - they did not want Gavilar to return their gods. Unless Eshonai was unaware that the other leaders of the Parshendi were being influenced by Darkness in some way then I am hesitant to endorse this idea. 

Furthermore, Nalan seems like the kind of fellow who deals with things personally. I do not see him somehow hiring or influencing the Parshendi to kill Gavilar. He would probably just do it himself.

12 minutes ago, CaptainRyan said:

Eshonai's perspective in Words of Radiance seems to make it clear that the Parshendi acted out of desperation - they did not want Gavilar to return their gods. Unless Eshonai was unaware that the other leaders of the Parshendi were being influenced by Darkness in some way then I am hesitant to endorse this idea. 

Furthermore, Nalan seems like the kind of fellow who deals with things personally. I do not see him somehow hiring or influencing the Parshendi to kill Gavilar. He would probably just do it himself.

True, but I'm trying to think of another reason for Darkness to be at the party Gavilar was killed in, and I'm coming up empty. But you do strike a valid point.

He wasn't the only herald there, so maybe focus on why some of them were there. Not that we have any good answers there (good free food....). Jasnah catches some of them talking later on. Maybe they were just using it as a place to get together and talk. or maybe there are ties to some of the conspiracy stuff Gavilar and others were involved in. Also, considering there's a question as to their sanity.... 

• Chaos locked this topic