Sand master culture

WayneSpren

So I'm posting this because It struck me that there are no women or young children among the Sand Masters. So are the sand masters like...monks...or Jedi, raised separately from their families to learn magic? Are the sand masters exclusively male? Or did the illustrator just not want to have to design and draw female sand masters?

Edited by WayneSpren

From the comic i get that in their younger years (maybe 9 or 10) the future sandmasters are raised like normal people by their mothers (seems like sandmasters are exclusivly male). After they are tested, if they have enough power, they live and learn with the other sandmasters/future sandmasters until they are considered a sandmaster themself. I find the Jedi-comparision rather accurate^^

They live in the diem once they are tested and pass. This generally occurs when they are 9-10 years old. If they have families, their families live separately and they can visit (some may spend a great deal of time with their families, others only spend a day or two a month with their families). 
I am unsure if they can visit their families at all times, or if they have to wait to be assigned rank before visiting (so the students stay in the diem at all times) 
The masters are exclusively male, but this is likely cultural, not magical (sand mastery has to be tested for and discovered - no women are tested, therefore no women become masters. Could women become sand masters? Probably). 

1 hour ago, WeiryWriter said:

Look through the graphic novel again there are a few sand masters that I definitely think are female.

Really? I'll have the check out the graphic novel soon then (it's on order). I'm going from the prose - could be I'm outdated. 

Reading the prose version I came to the idea that the Sandmaster as organization seek this kind of division for a couple of reasons:
- They are prideful, they want the other see there as Mystic figure who trascend mortality... This mean that "normal people" can't live with them as far is possible (they have servant after all)

- They fear the spreading of Sand Masters' secret outside of the Diem. With a family in there, it's possible for a young Sand Master to say something he don't have to friends/parents/ecc...

- The Dayside society is a lot Male centric... Some other jobs see in their high rank wemen because there is no explicit deny for a female to get the job. But the Sand Master are probably the more traditionalist among them and they may simply deny a chance to a yound lady to performe the test of the Sands.

18 hours ago, WeiryWriter said:

Okay if this was based on the prose version then it really should have gone in the prose forum, this is strictly for the graphic novel.  I'm moving this thread.

My bad - didn't notice which forum I was replying in (clicked on the link from the front page)...

In the prose version it is much more male centric, where as it was mentioned, Heelis had to use a loop hole just to reach the level of high judge. In the graphic novel, it seems to be more liberal as Ais is now female and commands many male underlings so Heelis does not seem as unique anymore. 

If you listen to Brandon's Writing Excuses podcast he mentions that he has a lot of biases as a male writer. He focuses on societies with a male center and then he will pepper in one or two alpha-females. He thought he was being inclusive when he was a young writer, but his female/male percentages for secondary characters are not flattering. When he was a younger writer he felt that he was being inclusive, but now he works very hard to place more women in his stories. He is fighting his biases and this is a good reflection of that. 

Edited by teknopathetic