rick riordan freeform rpg

Zodiac

I wanted to see if anyone was intrested in a  freeform based on rick riordens books. It would be set in his shared mytholigy universe and you could chose any greek, epytain, or norse character. 

Playable characters 

Greek/romian- demigods, some monsters, gods that are turned human

Egypt- magicans, eye of gods, demons, ghosts

Norse- demigods, giants, elves, dwarfs, runecasters. 

Twist

You can interact with other players characters however you want. You can even kill them if you want but this should only be used rarely. 

If anyone is intrested, let me know. 

Edited by Patricksinger

What I am really hoping for this Rpg it to be a group effort. I am very new to this and would apreciate any help. So back to your question, if you want the magic systems to be able to cross over, that would be great!

So my question is, do you want the crossover to be something as obivious as a demigod channeling the power of a god,  a magican learing norse runes, etc. The other option is to make the crossover more sutle using shared mythogy (similar to what they did in Son of Sobek) and characters finding artifacts of another mythology. 

I am leaning toward the second option to prevent character from getting complicated and overly strong but if you or anyone else has a preference let me know. 

Edited by Patricksinger

I would Love to join as a Norse Runecaster, that is very close friends with Elodin's character. (If that is ok with you, Elodin) Can my character also be a Dwarf blacksmith that also knows how to craft stuff using impossibilities? Yes, I know what you are thinking, I have read all his books.

Edit : Does my character have to use runes or is he one of those people that can runecast without runes?

Edited by Conquestor

You can be whatever you want. But if you want to be able to runecast without runes, then I think that you have to hollow yourself out more. In addition Runecasting without runes should require more energy in the interest of keeping things fair. 

p.s. I am surprised everyone is going Norse. I would have thought that people would go Greek/roman/Egyptian because their is only one Norse book.

p.p.s I've read all the books too.

Well, that's the thing, it has fewer books, so, it is more fun to explore! I will change my character to be something else, if you need me too. My character will be a Dwarf runecaster, that uses runes, and is good at creating new runes. (If that is ok)

I definitely didn't mean for you to change your character, I just thought it was interesting. He sounds like a cool character idea.

As I said earlier, I'm new to freeform style of rpgs. Now that we have a few character ideas, I'm confused on where to go. Do we flesh out the characters more or create a basic plot? Or should we wait to see if more people are interested? 

I've been very busy recently, so I don't want to commit to anything, but if I get some time I'd like to join. Character will probably be either Greek or Roman, and I'd like him to be an Anti-Villain of some type. Will flesh out my character a bit later. 

Edited by Patar

We could wait for more people to join while fleshing out our characters more.

My character is 4"5, has a big black beard, that looks like a mess on his  face, is very muscular, but can't run very quickly because of his shorter legs, he doesn't have many scars, has a large face, and amber colored eys.

I will work on his personality in my next post.

My character is the son of Loki and a mountain giant. His hieght and look varies but he spends most of his time In a human form and in his eagle form. He is constantly traveling because Ullr is has been hunting him after an indecent with one of his children.  

My character's name is Gorin, he is loyal, stern, has a deep voice, likes to practice his runes, make new ones, he also likes to read, explore, and is like a stone wall. He doesn't forge very often and other dwarfs tend to look down on him because of this. He is really good at hiding his runes in plain sight and uses this often to trick people into thinking he is more powerful than he really is.

OK, Hecate is an interesting character because the only time we have seen her demigod children actually use their magic is that book written by his son. So if you wanted to use that characters magic, I would say that you have the choice of a character that can manipulate the mist in a way similar to how Hazel does it in the later books or you can have him do magic like Alabster does. 

Edited by Patricksinger

Sorry that I haven't been active here since my last post :/

I really need to polish up my Kane Chronicle knowledge (havent read them in  a while)

My character will be an incarnate of Horus (host of Horus) and I intend him to be a sort of "monster hunter", he is a charm-maker and later on he finds out he is the son of Honus, a lesser known Roman war god (god of chivalry, honor and military justice), he is purely roman and has no greek side, from his father he discovers why he has an innate sense of honor, as well as how he can naturally use any weapon. 

His name is Sepron Fell the Third

He is 5"2, has pure white hair with a streak of red in it. He keeps it up in an "open" bun (will clarify with a drawing). He has one violet eye and a grey "dun" eye, with a hideous scar that runs down the side of his face through his "dun" eye in the shape of three claw marks, he covers up the marks with black tattoos that appear like the roman numeral for "3" III and he has a goatee. He wears the hide of a phoenix (essentially a red and gold feathery cape), he wears leather clothing dyed black and a gold belt which holds his khopesh, his dagger and his hook and chain. He wears black combat boots :) 

To normal mortals, he appears akin to a biker

@Darkness Ascendant That is a very interesting character, however, I am having trouble understanding if your character is an incarnate of Horus or a child of Honus or even both. (Which would be a little over powered) Could clarify that please.

I also want my character to be able to use runic magic without runes, but only does so in the most extreme of circumstances because of the amount of mana it takes. Is that ok? I imagine it is, but want to make sure with the GM.;)

Rune magic without runes is fine but it should require alot of energy and if your using it as a last resort, there should be some consequence like falling uncouncoius, not being able to use magic for x amount of time, etc.

As for sepron if you want to have a demigod who is also an eye, either the demigod side of him has to be weak or the egytipian side of him cannot use divine words 

Edited by Patricksinger

20 hours ago, Conquestor said:

@Darkness Ascendant That is a very interesting character, however, I am having trouble understanding if your character is an incarnate of Horus or a child of Honus or even both. (Which would be a little over powered) Could clarify that please.

I also want my character to be able to use runic magic without runes, but only does so in the most extreme of circumstances because of the amount of mana it takes. Is that ok? I imagine it is, but want to make sure with the GM.;)

Rune-magic without runes? What like Odin????? Make it, so that he has to consult his copy of Magic with the All-father every time he casts a spell XD

On the other hand, my character is a host of Horus but can only channel some of Horus' power as (I just made up a reason) his blood is tainted by him being a demigod.

On 7/29/2016 at 1:40 PM, Patricksinger said:

Does anyone have a preference on where this story takes place. I was thinking we should choose a city other than boston/newyork and have that be a convergance point for all the different magic systems. 

I agree and I vote we make it convert in YellowStone! :ph34r: That would be the Yellowstone national park.

Ive never been to yellowstone. When I was thinking about the places I could place the story in, I was definitly thinking that it would be in a city like chicago or orlando. 

That being said, a national park would be a great setting for gods, monsters, etc and I certainly would not be opposed to a city that put the setting relatively close to a national park. 

On 7/22/2016 at 0:24 PM, Patricksinger said:

OK, Hecate is an interesting character because the only time we have seen her demigod children actually use their magic is that book written by his son. So if you wanted to use that characters magic, I would say that you have the choice of a character that can manipulate the mist in a way similar to how Hazel does it in the later books or you can have him do magic like Alabster does. 

Sorry for the late reply, work has been keeping me busy. My character's powers will likely be a form of Mist Control/Mystiokinesis.