Pokemon Go!

Vyree

This game is like electronic crack... Pokemon came out a little past my time so I really knew nothing about it. My son showed me the game and now I am 5 levels above him.. The gym is ok but honestly I just like hunting for them. It's been fun getting to go out with my son just wish it wasn't 100 degrees outside all the time. 

Just went and walked around a popular park here with a lake. There were I believe 15 Pokestops in all, and I caught probably 50-60 Pokémon, in maybe an hour. First Dratini, Magikarp, Slowpoke, and I think a couple other types. People started running towards what someone said was a Snorlax, but I didn't bother, dunno if I would even have been high enough level (went from 9 to 11 tonight too, though, thanks to a lucky egg).

jW

1 hour ago, Jondesu said:

Just went and walked around a popular park here with a lake. There were I believe 15 Pokestops in all, and I caught probably 50-60 Pokémon, in maybe an hour. First Dratini, Magikarp, Slowpoke, and I think a couple other types. People started running towards what someone said was a Snorlax, but I didn't bother, dunno if I would even have been high enough level (went from 9 to 11 tonight too, though, thanks to a lucky egg).

jW

The pokemons CP depends on your level so you're fine. I got a CP33 Charizard <_<

3 hours ago, AnanasSpren said:

Too soon...although super congrats!

Yes.  I just hit level 11 today.  That Polywrath is the highest CP Pokemon I've gotten to date.

2 hours ago, Jondesu said:

jW

Heh.  I am saving my lucky eggs for later.  Working on building up 50-ish Pokemon ready to evolve.  Once I've hit that, pop the egg and start evolving.  50k XP in a half hour.  My level will SOAR.

Apparently one Council in Sydney asked for their whole suburb to be made Poke-free.

I get why people wouldn't want Pokemon Go in certain areas, like cemeteries, and I whole-heartedly agree, but really? A whole suburb?

I get that there are some people who will be idiots, but the vast majority of Pokemon Go players are going to be reasonable and take into account that they are in a public setting and that there are rules attached. A gentle reminder of that is all that's needed, in my opinion.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/consumer-affairs/pokemon-go-residents-call-police-as-rhodes-swamped-20160712-gq4hb3.html

On 2016-07-27 at 4:07 AM, Jondesu said:

Just got a Ghastly. Couldn't resist naming it Nightblood. 

jW

Gen 6 actually has a Ghost/Steel sword Pokémon. The normal version has a golden blade with silver edges, but the shiny version has a dark gray blade with red edges.

I have the shiny version.

It is named Nightblood.

(I also have a non-shiny version which I believe I named Callandor)

On July 28, 2016 at 0:56 PM, StormingTexan said:

This game is like electronic crack... Pokemon came out a little past my time so I really knew nothing about it. My son showed me the game and now I am 5 levels above him.. The gym is ok but honestly I just like hunting for them. It's been fun getting to go out with my son just wish it wasn't 100 degrees outside all the time. 

Ikr... Louisiana summer is keeping me in doors. Fall and winter is going to be my time to shine with this game.

i saw a yellow gym today and got really happy.

On 29 July 2016 at 7:04 PM, The Young Bard said:

Apparently one Council in Sydney asked for their whole suburb to be made Poke-free.

I get why people wouldn't want Pokemon Go in certain areas, like cemeteries, and I whole-heartedly agree, but really? A whole suburb?

I get that there are some people who will be idiots, but the vast majority of Pokemon Go players are going to be reasonable and take into account that they are in a public setting and that there are rules attached. A gentle reminder of that is all that's needed, in my opinion.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/consumer-affairs/pokemon-go-residents-call-police-as-rhodes-swamped-20160712-gq4hb3.html

Have you seen what's been going on in Rhodes though? People Pokemon'ing while they're driving and blocking the traffic, making huge amounts of noise late at night, filling the children's playground so there's nowhere for the kids to play?

Taking away all of the Pokemon there is a bit extreme but I totally see where they're coming from. They should at least get rid of a few poke stops and stop spawning Pokemon like Dragonites there. 

16 hours ago, Delightful said:

Have you seen what's been going on in Rhodes though? People Pokemon'ing while they're driving and blocking the traffic, making huge amounts of noise late at night, filling the children's playground so there's nowhere for the kids to play?

Taking away all of the Pokemon there is a bit extreme but I totally see where they're coming from. They should at least get rid of a few poke stops and stop spawning Pokemon like Dragonites there. 

Well, what type of Pokemon spawn depend entirely on the levels of the players hanging around the spawn point at the time.  Higher level players will spawn rarer, more powerful Pokemon, but some of the other players may be able to see the same critter, albeit maybe a bit less powerful.

16 hours ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

I ALMOST CAUGHT TWO PIKACHUS TODAYY!!!! AAARGH. I could have had three, but I will have to stick to one

The first one escaped. The other one I almost caught till the game crashed, and I had to restart. I was hoping against hope, that the Pikachu was still there. 

It wasn't.

I still don't have one.  Not. A. Single. Pikachu.  I has a sad.

9 hours ago, Quiver said:

I hate all of you.

I shall exact my revenge with the help of my two 70-odd Eevee's, and my Venonat.

ONE OF UUSSSSS!

Now remember, when you hit level 5, you join Team Yellow.  :ph34r:

2 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

Now remember, when you hit level 5, you join Team Yellow.

Insinct? Reaaaaallly? I expected better of you.

Candela- The only way to become a Master is through, passion and determination

Blanche-  Learn all there is, and apply what you can, through this, you will truly become the best of them all

Spark- Dabs in the background

(Ha, my first Pokemon Go meme)

JOIN MYSTIQUE

On another note, I just went on an XP rampage, hoarded all my candy and evolved everyone in one go. used the evee easter egg and got myself a 500 CP Jolteon, a 700 CP Vaporeon and a 900 CP Flareon. The pattern was a little strange. On top of that I used some incense and went on a walk after evolving everyone and caught some sweet high-level pokemon that I had never caught before. Jumped from level 11 to level 15 in a couple of hours. Sweet.

1 hour ago, Darkness Ascendant said:

Insinct? Reaaaaallly? I expected better of you.

Candela- The only way to become a Master is through, passion and determination

Blanche-  Learn all there is, and apply what you can, through this, you will truly become the best of them all

Spark- Dabs in the background

(Ha, my first Pokemon Go meme)

JOIN MYSTIQUE

On another note, I just went on an XP rampage, hoarded all my candy and evolved everyone in one go. used the evee easter egg and got myself a 500 CP Jolteon, a 700 CP Vaporeon and a 900 CP Flareon. The pattern was a little strange. On top of that I used some incense and went on a walk after evolving everyone and caught some sweet high-level pokemon that I had never caught before. Jumped from level 11 to level 15 in a couple of hours. Sweet.

Eh, it's the team the Gym nearest my home was owned by when I hit level 5.  And a good thing, too, 'cause all my coworkers are on that team.  If I'd chosen otherwise, I might've been in trouble.

Heh.  I'm hoarding Pidgeys right now, waiting until I get somewhere around 50 Pokemon ready to evolve.  Then I will crack open my first lucky egg and go on an XP rampage.

1 hour ago, Kaymyth said:

Eh, it's the team the Gym nearest my home was owned by when I hit level 5.  And a good thing, too, 'cause all my coworkers are on that team.  If I'd chosen otherwise, I might've been in trouble.

Heh.  I'm hoarding Pidgeys right now, waiting until I get somewhere around 50 Pokemon ready to evolve.  Then I will crack open my first lucky egg and go on an XP rampage.

Niiiice. I wish I had the patience to save up the pokemon I want to evolve, I can never resist tapping the evolve button :/

Just a word of warning to players who are still in the low levels:

The odds of a pokemon escaping a pokeball increase from level 8 onwards. This isn't just a matter of facing higher cp pokemon. A level 20+ trainer will have considerably more difficulty catching a cp 10 pidgey than a lower level player. In other words the higher level you get the more frustrating and arbitrary the basic act of catching pokemon becomes :( Some values to do with catching were adjusted in the recent patch so it is possible that they've gone back on that particular design "feature" but from what I've heard so far it may have gotten worse, too early to be certain though.

A couple of other notes that may be important to people:

Apparently some people are experiencing account issues after dling the most recent update. If the game has brought you back to the starting screen/is getting you to pick your starter again the advise I've seen is to close the app and to file a report with the Niantic Helpdesk.

The footprints have been disabled and there is no word on when or if the tracking feature will ever be re-implemented. Websites like Pokevision that you could use to effectively replace that functionality have been shut down. I don't have any inside info but my best guess is that they turned off tracking because it was too taxing on the servers and they decided to dump it in favour of server stability.

---

My personal opinion on the game:

The concept is great :) An AR game about walking around and catching pokemon is perfect and there are some really great ideas in there:

• The way pokemon spawns are effected by terrain etc (though the specifics could definitely do with some serious adjustment)
  • How the same pokemon is available to everyone so interacting with others is encouraged
  • Lure modules
  • Eggs hatching based on distance traveled
  • Pokestops

Some of that could do with significant tweaking, but fundamentally it's great stuff. Unfortunately most of the rest is (in my opinion) a confusing mess of conflicting & half-baked: mechanics, UI & UX that's propping up a boring grind-fest. :( Most of the pieces could work but they need adjusting and far too many of them conflict with each other. The game is absolutely worth trying out and I happily recommend playing up to level 10 or so. But beyond that all of the various problems start to really compound on each other. The current state of the game is basically what I'd expect from a late Alpha build, released long before it was ready. The lack of any decent communication from the developer or interest in engaging with their community only makes things worse. I can go into detail about the design problems if anyone's interested but otherwise I'll leave it at that.

With that said, if you're still having fun with the game, Great! :)

Edited by Claincy

I've actually seen Pokemon get easier to catch (assuming you actually hit them). Before the update a 10cp rattata broke out of 2 poke balls and a great ball before running, but this afternoon a 158cp was caught first try by a boring old pokeball (no nice throw or anything). I was lvl 15 before the update, and did an XP rampage shortly after that got me to 18, if that's useful for anyone doing analysis on capture difficulty