Tien's Theme: Kaladin Remembers

Here is my first musical composition for the Stormlight Archive. This is what I imagined for Tien's theme, which would (theoretically) be used for Kaladin's memories throughout The Way of Kings.  The first melody you hear (A section) is for Tien - it's meant to be song-like and sad.  The B section has some major chords and is more or less Kaladin's hero theme.  It brings a sense of determination and resolve to the overall "Tien theme" which seems appropriate for Kaladin. My goal was to create a theme for both characters that brings together the emotion of their story. 

This is all on piano - although feel free to imagine a full orchestra! :-D  WhenIf I figure out a program to make that happen, it will definitely be on my list of things to do!

(Please excuse the "lameness" of the video.  I only have Windows Live Movie Maker and for anyone who is familiar with it: you know my pain. For those of you who don't: it stinks. But, hey, I'm a musician not a film maker :-P)

Enjoy!

Just enjoyed it for the ??th time. Just wow again.

One remark: For a not-so-quick reader, the text sometimes changes too quickly. I like to spell out the words in my head, and got a little rushed now and then. Which is such a pity. Just a suggestion for your next work - which I really hope we'll hear soon!

5 hours ago, Erklitt said:

Just enjoyed it for the ??th time. Just wow again.

One remark: For a not-so-quick reader, the text sometimes changes too quickly. I like to spell out the words in my head, and got a little rushed now and then. Which is such a pity. Just a suggestion for your next work - which I really hope we'll hear soon!

Wow, thanks!  My sister @esamitch told me the same thing - you're right!  Honestly, I just got sick of editing it! Haha again - not a movie-maker.  I have no patience.  The reason I kept it is because I was more concerned about getting the quotes to go with specific points of the music.  So I sacrificed readability for drama...Thank you for the critique though.  Maybe I'll get better at creating movies :-P

Incidentally, the two I'm working on now are an over-arching theme for The Way of Kings, interchangeably Dalinar's theme (exciting, "hero' music!)  I'm also trying to create a more lively Shallan theme that can easily relate to the lullaby (musically speaking), but is from when you first meet her in SA when she enters Kharbranth. 

On 7/8/2016 at 5:00 PM, Erklitt said:

Got goosebumps. Thank you!

5 hours ago, Amanuensis said:

Same for me! Eyes even watered up a bit towards the end :P 

Hooray! That's what I was going for!  You guys are amazing!  Thanks for being so encouraging!

8 minutes ago, esamitch said:

So glad you posted this @Tharatariel10/big sis! And thanks everyone for being so nice...It took some convincing on my part to get her to put this out there! I can tell you that Dalinar's theme is coming along awesomely, and it's my favorite out of the bunch so far. :)

I gather from this that we all owe you thanks - have an upvote!

• Chaos locked this topic