Hi everyone!

So I'm a new member and a recent fan of Sanderson.  Thus far, the Stormlight Archive is all I've read.  I love the books so much I was inspired to compose some theme music in my free-time.  This one is my take of the lullaby from Book 2: "Words of Radiance".  I've decided to call it "Veden Lullaby" since technically it's probably a traditional song of Vedenar/Jah Keved.  

The instruments you hear are piano, alto recorder, voice and keyboard (strings) - all by me.  I'm totally an amateur and this is only the second song I've recorded ever! So, please, keep that in mind.  I'm hoping to get better!!

Anywho, thought I'd throw it out here for other fans to hear and hopefully enjoy. :-)

5 hours ago, mirahound said:

This is amazing! I could absolutely see this as a leitmotiv for either Shallan herself, or for her flashbacks. (Also, you have one of the greatest "amateur" voices I've ever heard!)

Thank you @mirahound - I am working on a Shallan theme from The Way of Kings which is a more lively, mischievous tune which, I think, is how we see her initially. But I have used similar chord-structure, tonality to the lullaby which means I could easily transition into the other.  

4 hours ago, Landis963 said:

I'm almost afraid to watch this, because I have my own headcanon version of Shallan's lullaby which will almost certainly conflict with yours. 

Haha - hey, this is just my headcanon played out loud.  You're free to have your own!  I'd be interested to know if your melody is major or minor?  Because I originally wanted mine to be a major melody  - I thought that would be incredibly ironic considering the circumstance in which its sung in the books.  But I couldn't get one to fit in my head.  

5 hours ago, Tharatariel10 said:

Haha - hey, this is just my headcanon played out loud.  You're free to have your own!  I'd be interested to know if your melody is major or minor?  Because I originally wanted mine to be a major melody  - I thought that would be incredibly ironic considering the circumstance in which its sung in the books.  But I couldn't get one to fit in my head.  

Mine is major - a 15-Note sequence (lots of deconstructed thirds) repeated throughout the verse, then a separate 10-Note sequence for "and with a song you'll sleep,/ my baby dear."  I'll write it out once I get a proper note ID app.  Or access to a piano.  

Edited by Landis963

• 3 years later...
  • Chaos locked this topic