Stormlight Movie Posters/Trailers

Doc12

Hey guys, this is NOT a thread about Stormlight Movie casting, I know that's been done. 

What I really want to see discussed is what a theoretical Stormlight movie poster or trailer would look like, you know, those perfect scenes from the books that frames the entire movie/tv show/whatever. Imagine taglines and scenes for trailers and even trailer music. Stormlight is a fantastically visual world, with so many beautiful descriptions, cool fight scenes and undeniably flashy magic, with light streaming everywhere.

One of my favorite ideas (I stole this from Reddit) is a poster for the Way of Kings where Kaladin leaps across the chasm, where we only see his back, his spear upraised, the bridge behind him and the Parshendi before him, Light twinkling in their gemstones. In the foreground we see Bridge Four still pushing teh bridge. The tagline would be a simple 'Speak the Words'

What do you guys think? Go crazy!

WoK: Right after Kaladin considers suicide. 

The view is a side view of the chasm. Rain comes down. Kaladin stands before the drop, with his arm outstretched dropping the blackbane leaf. Syl is a ribbon of light above him flying towards he sky. The tagline is 'Life before death'. 

WoR: When Shallan is talking to the deserters. 

The background is dark. Shallan stands in the center, brighter than her surroundings with wisps of Stormlight floating off her. On the side are men standing in shadows and looking towards her. The tagline is 'Life before death'. 

I would draw these, but I'm a terrible artist. I still might try later, if no one else does. I encourage all you artists to show your interpretation of my ideas! 

Those are both awesome, @thegatorgirl00!

Personally, I'd want to see the hallway scene when Kaladin says the third Ideal and Syl forms into the Shardblade.  I'd have a dark hallway, a last sphere or two in the distance not yet gone out, while Kaladin is glowing dimly and Syl is wisping into the shape of the blade.  Elhokar behind him, cowering, and Moash and {I forget his name} leaning back in fear (or maybe just not show any of them, only Kaladin and Syl).  That might be more spoilery than would be best for a movie poster, though.

Another option would be to simply have a Shardbearer (Dalinar or Adolin, probably), looking through the eyeslits of their helm, holding the Shardblade up in front of them.  Slightly cliche, but would be amazing if they got the blade and plate right.  Glyphs on the blade would be perfect too, but I don't recall if either of theirs has anything like that (I don't think they do).

A Parshendi warpair in warform leaping over a chasm would also be incredible, perhaps with Alethi spearmen awaiting them.  They'd have to be shoulder-to-shoulder, covering for each other, with their weapons up and ready as they're jumping.  I'd probably have the Tower visible in the distance, or perhaps a pupating Chasmfiend.

jW

First off, I'd split each Stormlight book into 3 movies, and each movie would have several posters showcasing the main characters, all of which would have matched compositions.  For the first movie (The Stormlight Archive: The Way of Kings) it would be Kaladin in the slave cage, reaching between the bars for Windspren!Syl, Szeth reaching for Gavilar's black gemstone, and Shallan reaching for a Soulcaster.   The second (Stormlight 2: Dying Storms) would be Kaladin against the highstorm, Dalinar in battle against Parshendi (on a generic gem heart raid), and Jasnah after the battle with the muggers.  The third (Stormlight 3: The Silence Above) is Kaladin charging into the battle of the Tower, Shallan charging into the library to confront Jasnah, and Taln charging toward a village in the distance.   The taglines for each would be the three parts of the First Ideal, naturally.  

I think that the scene from WoK, when Dalinar exchanges his Outhbringer for the bridgemen is amazing and truly represents the main idea of the book. The sword sticks out of the ground in the middle of the glyph and the tagline  is "A life is priceless" . That's what I want to see. 

P. S. Actually, I have some kind of soundtrack that I'd been listening to when I read the books. I'll post it later

Edited by Northiver

My takes on movie posters.

Words of Radiance

Minimalist artsy poster.  For those midnight screenings at indie cinemas.

Shows something of the "flavour" of the movie, while being artistically vague.  It's Jasnah with Soulcaster, Shardblade, and safehand. 

I've always admired minimalist advertising, like the Glinda and Elphaba posters for Wicked.

Spoiler

29sF9dI.jpg

Way of Kings

Blockbuster Hollywood style teaser poster.  I'm no good at taglines, but at least I didn't spoil the end of the book with a trailer or poster.  cough cough Ender's Game

I couldn't find the official font they used for the SA cover titles, so I just guessed.  It's not exact, since the real Way of Kings is in all caps, but if you didn't notice it until I pointed it out, then I was pretty close.   And those actor credits, hahah. B)

Spoiler

b8i3IAJ.jpg

Words of Radiance - Adolin

Stage play or Broadway musical playbill-style character poster.

Old art, but this picture was specifically made to emulate old-fashioned advertising material, so I think it's relevant.

Spoiler

rpiJhEZ.jpg

The kind of poster I actually want to see for SA: vintage advertising.

Spoiler

hoNMauT.jpg

I love this retro, colourful style.  I would very much like to see Rosharan regions depicted like this - it would make me go print out a poster to hang on the wall.  "Visit Urithiru" or "Tvklav's Unclaimed Hills Caravan Tours".  Maybe I'll do it when I have the time to experiment.

My take on the WoK trailer. 

Pans over the Shattered Plains. Parshendi singing is faint in the background and grows louder during the trailer. 

Voiceover: Long ago, the Radiants betrayed mankind. Now it is time for the old oaths to be spoken anew. 

Lightning flashes. Kaladin is standing at the Honor Chasm. 

The words Life before death appear made out of Stormlight on a black background. (If I say words appear, it uses this same font and background) 

Dalinar in Shardplate riding towards the chasmfiend. 

Shallan standing on the deck of the Wind's Pleasure. 

Kaladin sitting in a cage holding Syl. 

The words strength before weakness appear. 

Dalinar in his tent, writhing from a vision. 

Jasnah Soulcasting a man into fire. 

Kaladin strung up in a Highstorm. 

The words journey before destination appear. 

Adolin and Dalinar fighting at the tower. 

Shallan and Jasnah standing in Shadesmar. 

Kaladin in the final bridge run. The Parshendi singing is loud and joined by screaming and blades clashing. Arrows fly through the air. Syl flies above him and you hear her scream "Kaladin! Say the words!" 

The noise suddenly stops. A pair of hands hold a single glowing sphere. You hear a sharp intake of breath and the Stormlight streams upward leaving the sphere dim. 

The words Way of Kings appear. You can hear Dalinar's voice asking "What is a man's life worth?" 

8 hours ago, sheep said:

My takes on movie posters.

Words of Radiance

Minimalist artsy poster.  For those midnight screenings at indie cinemas.

Shows something of the "flavour" of the movie, while being artistically vague.  It's Jasnah with Soulcaster, Shardblade, and safehand. 

I've always admired minimalist advertising, like the Glinda and Elphaba posters for Wicked.

Reveal hidden contents

29sF9dI.jpg

Way of Kings

Blockbuster Hollywood style teaser poster.  I'm no good at taglines, but at least I didn't spoil the end of the book with a trailer or poster.  cough cough Ender's Game

I couldn't find the official font they used for the SA cover titles, so I just guessed.  It's not exact, since the real Way of Kings is in all caps, but if you didn't notice it until I pointed it out, then I was pretty close.   And those actor credits, hahah. B)

Reveal hidden contents

b8i3IAJ.jpg

Words of Radiance - Adolin

Stage play or Broadway musical playbill-style character poster.

Old art, but this picture was specifically made to emulate old-fashioned advertising material, so I think it's relevant.

Reveal hidden contents

rpiJhEZ.jpg

The kind of poster I actually want to see for SA: vintage advertising.

Reveal hidden contents

hoNMauT.jpg

I love this retro, colourful style.  I would very much like to see Rosharan regions depicted like this - it would make me go print out a poster to hang on the wall.  "Visit Urithiru" or "Tvklav's Unclaimed Hills Caravan Tours".  Maybe I'll do it when I have the time to experiment.

Your art is gorgeous!

9 hours ago, sheep said:

:lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, the Austria one cracked me up. 

22 hours ago, Doctor12 said:

Trailer for the Way of Kings. 

Wit's voice: When you beat an iron sword relentlessly, it hardens. When you leave it alone, it rusts away. Let me tell you a story.

=o=o=o=o=o

The party, camera panning around the revellers. We see spren floating around, we see Jasnah looking disapproving and Dalinar dead drunk, but only briefly. We see a flash of White as the Assassin stalks down a corridor. Two guards notice him and charge. The Assassin bursts into light. Cut to Szeth by the dead body of the King, kneeling.

"I'm sorry."

=o=o=o=o=o=

"We came here for Vengeance, but all I see if frivolity and competition."

Dalinar from behind, looking over the Shattered Plains and the arrayed warcamps.Adolin averts his eyes. Sadeas snorts.

"Why can't you just relax? Why can't you be just like everyone else?"

"I cannot be like everyone else."

Dalinar, grizzled, broken, looking over the Shattered Plains and the warcamps arrayed there. 

Sadeas leaves, laughing. "That honor of yours is going to get you killed some day."

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

Voiceover: There are two kinds of people in this world, son. Those who save lives, and those who take lives.  

A young Kal, working in the surgery with his father: "What about those who kill to protect?"

A battlefield on a rocky landscape, from the eyes of Cenn. Kaladin leading them into battle. The Shardbearer. White flash, cut to Kaladin shivering in a cage.  

Kaladin looks up to see Syl floating over, a tiny translucent girl. Her light shines on his face.

Her voice: Why do men cry?

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

Shallan's voice: “Expectation wasn't just about what people expected of you. It was about what you expected of yourself.” 

Shallan clutching a sketchbook, following Jasnah. Her eyes are fixed on the Soulcaster. She is smiling, cut to her in her room alone scheming and drawing plans.

A cryptic voice: Let go of your lies.

(fade to black) (pause)

(bass drop)

Szeth lashing himself to the ceiling, running towards two Shardbearers. His Blade appears in his hands.

Dalinar sitting alone in a tent, screaming and writhing.

Kaladin on a bridge run, screaming as blood trickles down his shoulders and arrows kill those around him

Shallan in a room in a pool of blood.

(fade to black) (pause)

Words against A black screen as music builds to a crescendo.

Speak again the Ancient oaths.

"Life before Death." 

Lightning illuminates Kaladin before the Honor Chasm, tears mingling with rain.

"Strength before Weakness."

Dalinar charging at the Chasmfiend in full Shardplate to protect Elhokar

"Journey before Destination."

Shallan turning from a ship and running back to Khabaranth.

(pause)

"The Knights Radiant shall rise again." Music climaxes

A shot of Szeth running among people, lashing them left and right.

A shot of Shallan entering Shadesmar. 

A shot of Dalinar and Adolin surrounded on the Tower, looking around desperately, shouting their final battlecries.

A shot of Kaladin's boots thumping on the bridge, then leaping over the chasm onto the awaiting Parshendi. Syl screaming "Speak the Words!" 

Fade to black.

=o=o=o=o=o=o

Wit's voice, chattily: “Can you feel it? Something just changed. I believe that’s the sound the world makes when it pisses itself.”

Holy... I got chills just reading that.

11 minutes ago, Doctor12 said:

Words of Radiance Trailer.

Soundtrack I had in mind: None shall live by Two steps from hell

*Epic Drum intro

(Stormlight against a black screen (Thanks @thegatorgirl00) )

THE EVERSTORM IS COMING

Thirty-eight days,”a hand scratches on the ground with chalk.  “The end of all nations.”

Long shot, zooming on the Parshendi city.

“Our people are crumbling.” Venli speaks to Eshonai as they move through the city.

Long shot, panning over Parshendi culture and their various forms.

Eshonai speaks “We sent the Assassin. We chose this war,”

Venli smiles darkly, holding up a gem with the lightning red spren inside “And now it is time to end it.” Linger on Eshonai's apprehensive face.

Cut to a highstorm, as the gem is crushed in the Storm, the red lightning infusing Eshonai.

She screams.

THE ASSASSIN IS BACK

"I am Szeth Son-Son-Vallano. I do as my Masters demand, and I do not ask questions."

Panning over a wall filled with scribbles. A voice in the shadows. “Dalinar must be removed.”

Szeth bows and leaps out the window.

DARK PLOTS ARE HATCHING

Aboard the Winds Pleasure, Shallan wakes to see men stabbing Jasnah, chasing her. She screams

in a dark room in a tavern, Kaladin seats with Moash and a team of 'patriots'. “What do you do if the hand is festering, threatening the entire body?"

“you'res speaking of killing the King.”

Adolin enters an arena to face four shardbearers. He is rapidly hit in sucession, each hit resulting in a flash of the screen, cutting to a black screen.

(Pause)

(Chorus kicks in)

THE KNIGHTS RADIANT MUST STAND AGAIN

Kaladin runs across a chasm, whooping as he soars into the sky

Shallan draws on paper frantically, tracing Pattern into paper, bringing him to life

Dalinar shouts a rousing battle cry to the armies as they march against a darkening sky

A girl (Lift) slides into darkness, pursued by coiling vines

The hand continues to write the chalk countdown

(Quiet portion of the music)

BUT THEY WILL BE SHAKEN

Pattern buzzes sadly as Shallan shuts her eyes, turning away from him “I hate you,” Shallan whispers.

“You will kill me one day,” Pattern agrees.

Syl drifts aimlessly, looking lost, as Kaladin festers in prison, crying curses against Elhokar.

"This is wrong, Kaladin."

"I don't care."

Kaladin falls from a bridge, screaming. Syl screams and vanishes.

SYL!!”

(Chorus comes back in)

THE EVERSTORM IS HERE

The hand now writes “Zero zero zero zero”

The Parshendi arrayed in stormform, eyes glowing and lightning flashing, chanting as the camera pans over Dalinar’s army. The sky breaks. Lightning flashes.

Dalinar kneels beneath a fracturing sky, holding his son.

Adolin kneeling before the corpse of his horse, disbelieving.

Lightning flashing, people screaming. Parshendi singing.

A flash of light, Szeth crashes before Dalinar, mad, implacable, Shardblade summoned. 

Dalinar shouting at Shallan to find a way to get them out of there

Dalinar summoning his blade just in time to meet Szeths

Adolin watching, horrified, as Szeth Lashes Dalinar into the sky.

(Most triumphant part of the music) 

LIFE BEFORE DEATH

Kaladin, bloodied, bruised, broken, warding an unseen figure from two more figures in the shadows. “You. Will not. Have him.”

STRENGTH BEFORE WEAKNESS

Dalinar clashes Blades with Szeth.

JOURNEY BEFORE DESTINATION

"Something is wrong with your Shardblades. All except...for mine." A glowing Shardblade appears in Shallan’s hands, as she plunges it into the Oathgate

WORDS OF RADIANCE

“Honor is dead,” a whispered voiceover against the black screen. “But I’ll see what I can do.”

:o This was literally playing in my head while I read it 

Just now, Daniyah said:

:o This was literally playing in my head while I read it 

Shows I'm doing a decent job at least XD Thanks!

WoR has seriously a lot of plot threads. was tricky trying to choose the ones most likely to be chosen for a movie. I think if a movie is ever made, Young shallan and young kal's flashbacks would be the first to go

On July 6, 2016 at 1:47 AM, Doctor12 said:

The party, camera panning around the revellers. We see spren floating around, we see Jasnah looking disapproving and Dalinar dead drunk, but only briefly. We see a flash of White as the Assassin stalks down a corridor. Two guards notice him and charge. The Assassin bursts into light. Cut to Szeth by the dead body of the King, kneeling.

"I'm sorry."

=o=o=o=o=o=

Dalinar from behind, looking over the Shattered Plains and the arrayed warcamps.Adolin averts his eyes. Sadeas snorts.

Dalinar, grizzled, broken, looking over the Shattered Plains and the warcamps arrayed there. 

Sadeas leaves, laughing. "That honor of yours is going to get you killed some day."

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

Voiceover: There are two kinds of people in this world, son. Those who save lives, and those who take lives.  

A young Kal, working in the surgery with his father: "What about those who kill to protect?"

A battlefield on a rocky landscape, from the eyes of Cenn. Kaladin leading them into battle. The Shardbearer. White flash, cut to Kaladin shivering in a cage.  

Kaladin looks up to see Syl floating over, a tiny translucent girl. Her light shines on his face.

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

Shallan's voice: “Expectation wasn't just about what people expected of you. It was about what you expected of yourself.” 

Shallan clutching a sketchbook, following Jasnah. Her eyes are fixed on the Soulcaster. She is smiling, cut to her in her room alone scheming and drawing plans.

(fade to black) (pause)

(bass drop)

Szeth lashing himself to the ceiling, running towards two Shardbearers. His Blade appears in his hands.

Kaladin on a bridge run, screaming as blood trickles down his shoulders and arrows kill those around him

(fade to black) (pause)

"Life before Death." 

(pause)

A shot of Dalinar and Adolin surrounded on the Tower, looking around desperately, shouting their final battlecries.

A shot of Kaladin's boots thumping on the bridge, then leaping over the chasm onto the awaiting Parshendi. Syl screaming "Speak the Words!" 

Fade to black.

=o=o=o=o=o=o

Wit's voice, chattily: “Can you feel it? Something just changed. I believe that’s the sound the world makes when it pisses itself.”

I like it, but I think the part with "there are four we must watch" on the back cover of the book should make it in there somewhere.

On 7/6/2016 at 3:47 AM, Doctor12 said:

Trailer for the Way of Kings. 

Wit's voice: When you beat an iron sword relentlessly, it hardens. When you leave it alone, it rusts away. Let me tell you a story.

=o=o=o=o=o

"I'm sorry."

=o=o=o=o=o=

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

=o=o=o=o=o=o=o

(fade to black) (pause)

(bass drop)

(fade to black) (pause)

"Life before Death." 

(pause)

Fade to black.

=o=o=o=o=o=o

Hi, Doctor12,

I think this is awesome!! I love it!  I can see it very well in my head - so kudos to you for laying it out so clearly.

If I may offer one critique it would be the Wit line at the end.  I think you could cut the quote to the first two sentences: "Can you feel it? Something has changed."  I think it'd be better to leave your audience with something more poignant than talk of piss.  And if, theoretically, this WAS a trailer, that language would probably not get by the screeners.  That's all though.  Otherwise very clever :)

An aside: while reading all those magnificent ideas, imagining them in my head and thinking 'Wow, I need to see this movie!' another thought struck: what kind of weird fan forum can inspire people to create such awesome visuals and then actually spell them out in written text? :ph34r:

3 hours ago, Erklitt said:

An aside: while reading all those magnificent ideas, imagining them in my head and thinking 'Wow, I need to see this movie!' another thought struck: what kind of weird fan forum can inspire people to create such awesome visuals and then actually spell them out in written text? :ph34r:

Haha you should know. You're one of us :rolleyes:

'Kay, but what about movie posters for Words of Radiance that feature the spren? One of Syl, worried and upset, and text along the bottom reads, "You don't care about the law. You care about what's right." Next one features pattern. possibly in his Shadesmar outfit, hands behind his back, with text reading, "That is a good lie." The final one features a stormspren caught in a red gemstone, stormclouds gathering behind it, and the text underneath says, "The Everstorm comes."