Through Hemalargy, Ultimate Power?

Gremorys

Question

New to the forums, and didn't see this in the Q&A, though I am sure someone else has asked somewhere. Is it possible, using hemalurgy, with immediate spike transfer (straight through one soul to another without indirect contact to any outside particle such as air) to fully transfer every known shard power to a single holder? 

*Theoretically, of course, I would be surprised if even Harmony could tell you where to put an honorspren spike.* 

Edited by Gremorys

8 answers to this question

Theoretically, as long as the power is gained through the Spiritweb you can steal it. Some factors make this harder however. For example,
Stormlight spoilers.

if you steal a Surgebinder's Spren while not conforming to the Oaths it is likely that you couldn't use the powers and that the spren dies.

Also, IIRC Breaths aren't part of the spiritweb, so you can't steal them. You can steal the ability to Awaken however.

On 7/4/2016 at 9:29 PM, Gremorys said:

Is it possible, using hemalurgy, with immediate spike transfer to fully transfer every known shard power to a single holder? 

This quote relates directly to your question: www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=622#64

It's a little vague though. He says it's possible to gain all of the powers through various workarounds, and that Hemalurgy is one of those workarounds. However, he doesn't say that Hemalurgy work for all of them. The magic in Elantris seems especially hard to get, given how regionally locked it is. (Hoid apparently had some trouble with it, though he almost certainly wasn't trying to use Hemalurgy.)

My guess is that Hemalurgy isn't enough, on its own, to get all of the powers.

As an aside, there are upper limits on how much investure a Hemalurgic Spike can hold: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1158#14

Edited by Cartographer7

On 7/6/2016 at 10:15 AM, Cartographer7 said:

This quote relates directly to your question: www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=622#64

It's a little vague though. He says it's possible to gain all of the powers through various workarounds, and that Hemalurgy is one of those workarounds. However, he doesn't say that Hemalurgy work for all of them. The magic in Elantris seems especially hard to get, given how regionally locked it is. (Hoid apparently had some trouble with it, though he almost certainly wasn't trying to use Hemalurgy.)

My guess is that Hemalurgy isn't enough, on its own, to get all of the powers.

As an aside, there are upper limits on how much investure a Hemalurgic Spike can hold: http://www.theoryland.com/intvmain.php?i=1158#14

I believe that it is possible to gain the abilities more locally based through the use of Hemalurgic Connection.

I would suspect that even in the best conditions, some power is still lost. I mean you are talking about ripping and stapling soul matter from one person to another. I am sure that the initial damage is enough to loose some power, although in your situation it would be minimal enough that it might not be noticed. I am reminded of a Horcrux from Harry Potter, you can split souls, but the act of doing so weakens the parts that are produced. Also we cannot forget that as you add spikes, you yourself become less human. So in the end, are you even the person you were before?

Edited by TheBlueShifting

Is your question about power loss?
With Hemalurgy, there is always power loss. In the process of making the spike there is (relatively) huge power loss and after that there is half-decay. Half-decay can be prevented by covering the spike in blood, but it won't help against the initial power loss.

Edited by Oversleep

I suppose I should have put it as two questions. The first one is could someone like the God King have his store of breath taken from him and given to another forcefully through a hemalurgic spike. it sounds like from these answers that yes this could potentially happen. However the second question, "is it possible to have a perfect transfer of power?" sounds like it it might not be possible even under the most ideal circumstance.

.ie if the God King has 50,000 breaths, your saying its more then likely the one who receives the spike is really only getting like 30,000 or less breaths even under best circumstances? 

*edit*

Reread Kenod's answer; so Breath is probably not a good example, but it was the easiest thing I could think of to give a clear description

@Oversleep

Edited by Gremorys

9 hours ago, Gremorys said:

I suppose I should have put it as two questions. The first one is could someone like the God King have his store of breath taken from him and given to another forcefully through a hemalurgic spike. it sounds like from these answers that yes this could potentially happen. However the second question, "is it possible to have a perfect transfer of power?" sounds like it it might not be possible even under the most ideal circumstance.

.ie if the God King has 50,000 breaths, your saying its more then likely the one who receives the spike is really only getting like 30,000 or less breaths even under best circumstances? 

*edit*

Reread Kenod's answer; so Breath is probably not a good example, but it was the easiest thing I could think of to give a clear description

@Oversleep

I'm not sure about the breath thing, I read on the forum somewhere that it couldn't be transfered because it wasn't part of the Spiritweb but just raw Investure, but I can't find the source at the moment.

Thank you everyone who has responded to this question. Really appreciate it, and I think (hopefully) that I understand correctly. Hemalurgy can do a lot, but its not usable for every occasion and there is nothing you can do about some level of drawback. If anyone here has anymore info, or feel that it hasn't all been explained please post more I'm very interested.

Everyone here tho, have a cookie :D ! 

Edited by Gremorys