Sand Mastery New Info from NewsLetter

Pathfinder

11 minutes ago, WeiryWriter said:

On the topic of Dayside vs Darkside magic systems:

Maybe I am being stubborn but I still interpret that as to say skycolors could be lichen based like dayside magic. Taldain's magic isn't "viewed" as magic because it is part of the world's very ecology. Sand masters don't view their mastery as magic as evidenced by Kenton's reaction to Khriss asking him about magic. Khriss doesn't view skycolors as magic as every darksider has them. But for us I would say it is magic, and it is derived from investiture. But that is my own theory. 

8 minutes ago, DSC01 said:

Well, there's tons and tons of sand around, so I got the impression that when someone was mastering constantly, new sand was getting sucked up to replace that which had been drained of Investiture. If not--if you can keep accessing Investiture for as long as you keep mastering the same sand and don't run out of water--then that really raises a question of just what is being recharged by the sun.

True, though again from what I recall of both mediums, we never see a trail of black sand around a sand master till they stop mastering. Basically I am in complete agreement with you that either there is a finite amount of investiture in the sand, or it is cycling in new sand, just the problem is I have not see any evidence for either in either medium. The only thing I can think of is that maybe because the sand master is still in the sun while he is doing it that it is continually channeling that investiture from the sun's radiance. Kind of like a chain reaction that if you keep feeding it, you can maintain it almost indefinitely, but if temporarily stop the reaction, you have to start from scratch. Then if the sand master was on another planet with white sand, he or she would have to watch his or her water levels as well as the investiture amount in the sand as there wouldn't be the sun to charge/fuel it while mastering. 

Edited by Pathfinder

10 hours ago, frozndevl said:

Is this discussion on skycolors from the prose version? If so, on the edge of spoilers.

Everything stated is either theory/conjecture, or brought up in WoB. None of this has been mentioned in the prose version. So it is all fair game to discuss. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/6/2016 at 11:00 AM, Pathfinder said:

Double post to reply to kingsdaughter. Why can't there be a different breed of lichen that likes UV rays on darkside and functions differently as result? Why does dayside have to be the only ones with the monopoly on lichen and why does this lichen only be allowed to have one form?

I agree with your idea about a different breed.  We know that Investiture has some wavelike properties.  I suspect that the Day side fungus has organelles similar to chloroplasts that modify the Investiture of a specific wavelength so that it can be used.  If that wavelength were absorbed by the moon soil, it would never reflect to the darkside.  Therefore, organisms on the darkside would evolve to access a different wavelength.