ChocolateRob

Well I just bought the kindle version but almost immediately returned it for a refund. I was only around a quarter of the way in when I realised the formatting was a complete failure. I imagine it works well enough on kindle fire (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong there) but on kindle for PC or paperwhite/regular it does not work.

The problem is double pages, the formatting shrinks down large landscape images to fit into a portrait size, rendering pictures blurry and writing illegibly pixelated. I suspected beforehand that this may be a problem with my regular kindle so I downloaded kindle for PC before even trying to read this book, unfortunately the PC version is just as bad, there is no zoom option at all. I used the computer's magnify function but that just gave me a larger blurry, illegible image. Double pages are supposed to be where the best art is, not the worst.

I don't really want this book in hardback so I guess I'll just have to wait for paperback instead.

Feel free to rant with me on this subject (restrict fire to amazon though, it's not Brandon's fault).

From what I understand the Kindle app is just horrible when it comes to formatting graphic novels/comics.  But you should be able to sync the kindle edition with a comixology account which has a /much/ better interface.

I don't think there is going to be a paperback?  At least I'm looking at the Dresden Files graphic novels and they don't have paperback editions, even for the one that came out in 2013.

On 6/29/2016 at 2:23 PM, ChocolateRob said:

Well I just bought the kindle version but almost immediately returned it for a refund. I was only around a quarter of the way in when I realised the formatting was a complete failure. I imagine it works well enough on kindle fire (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong there) but on kindle for PC or paperwhite/regular it does not work.

The problem is double pages, the formatting shrinks down large landscape images to fit into a portrait size, rendering pictures blurry and writing illegibly pixelated. I suspected beforehand that this may be a problem with my regular kindle so I downloaded kindle for PC before even trying to read this book, unfortunately the PC version is just as bad, there is no zoom option at all. I used the computer's magnify function but that just gave me a larger blurry, illegible image. Double pages are supposed to be where the best art is, not the worst.

I don't really want this book in hardback so I guess I'll just have to wait for paperback instead.

Feel free to rant with me on this subject (restrict fire to amazon though, it's not Brandon's fault).

Yeeah, this is why I'm shelling out for the physical copy.

I didn't get this on the kindle, but I have other comics that I did. I had no issues reading them. It showed the full page, then double tapped to see individual panels, or to zoom on double page spreads. I have read them on two generations of the Kindle Fire. Most of those comics were Marvel, some recent, some Golden and Silver age reprints.

I don't know comiXology, however if you plan to read this on an ordinary kindle, here is my experience:

I got the kindle version and tried to read it on my Paperwhite. Yes, the double tapping helps a great deal, it changes reading from being absolutely impossible to being just a pain. Sometimes the text is still too small, sometimes a speech balloon is split between too panels. Those are rarely rectangular, so most of the time you see parts of another panel while not seeing the whole of the one you are currently looking at.

With kindle app for PC, the same double tapping diminishes the pain a little further; if your monitor isn't too small you can now actually read everything.

But really: this is only a stopgap if you are absolutely bent on reading it and for whatever reason have trouble obtaining a paper version. Otherwise: keep away! (Or use this comiXology.)

Kindle APP is horrible for reading comics, because of bad UI and low-quality image.

But comiXology offers Lift level awesomeness. In some cases, even better reading experience than physical copy.

To those who already bought Kindle edition, you should download comiXology APP from Apple or Android app store, and sign in with your Amazon.com account. Then you can download "White Sand" without paying extra money.