WeiryWriter

White Sand Volume 1 Typos

31 posts in this topic

Pg 34, top right panel: speech bubbles are associated with the wrong characters.

So this isn't really so much of a typo as what just seems like a sequential error to me. It's in the middle of chapter three where Khriss asks Kenton how he knows what direction to go in and he answers "magic!" and then proceeds to explain navigation using the sun. In that panel he holds up his hand and masters sand. I always assumed he overmastered during the battle with the Kerztians, right? But then he sand masters here and then like ten pages later a few Kerztians attack him and suddenly he doesn't have sand mastery because he overmastered. Am I missing some special thing here that Brandon would RAFO or is this just an error?

@Fatling That's not an error. "Overmastery" is when you use up dangerous amounts of your body's water. That doesn't happen to Kenton. His sudden loss of powers in volume 1 is a mystery at this point.

On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:12 AM, jofwu said:

@Fatling That's not an error. "Overmastery" is when you use up dangerous amounts of your body's water. That doesn't happen to Kenton. His sudden loss of powers in volume 1 is a mystery at this point.

It is, however, a solvable mystery, given what we know of Realmatics and of Taldain.  (Arcanum Unbounded has the major clue in this regard, but applying rules learned in other works will help)

On 9/21/2017 at 6:12 AM, jofwu said:

Hopefully we’ll find out in volume two. In any case, I’m fairly confident that Kenton lost his powers due to overmastery. But even if it isn’t overmastery, virtually nothing occurs between the time that Kenton briefly masters sand in chapter three and when his powers are gone at the end of the chapter that could cause him to lose his powers, so this is still likely an error. The only event I see prior to this time that could lead to his lost powers is the battle with the Kerztians

In Chapter 4, on the page before they reach Kezare, Khriss comments on the air gun device:

It's an interesting device this zinkallin, Kenton. Mechanically simple, it operates along similar principles to our pistols.

Based on the Prose version and some other uses in the graphic novels (e.g. qido/qidoin), I'm pretty sure this is the plural form of zinkall. But the sentence is structured as if it's singular.

Seems like this should be "zinkall" or else the sentence needs to be reworded slightly.