White Sand Volume 1-3 Typos

WeiryWriter

• 9 months later...

So this isn't really so much of a typo as what just seems like a sequential error to me. It's in the middle of chapter three where Khriss asks Kenton how he knows what direction to go in and he answers "magic!" and then proceeds to explain navigation using the sun. In that panel he holds up his hand and masters sand. I always assumed he overmastered during the battle with the Kerztians, right? But then he sand masters here and then like ten pages later a few Kerztians attack him and suddenly he doesn't have sand mastery because he overmastered. Am I missing some special thing here that Brandon would RAFO or is this just an error?

• 1 month later...
On ‎9‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 9:12 AM, jofwu said:

@Fatling That's not an error. "Overmastery" is when you use up dangerous amounts of your body's water. That doesn't happen to Kenton. His sudden loss of powers in volume 1 is a mystery at this point.

It is, however, a solvable mystery, given what we know of Realmatics and of Taldain.  (Arcanum Unbounded has the major clue in this regard, but applying rules learned in other works will help)

On 9/21/2017 at 6:12 AM, jofwu said:

@Fatling That's not an error. "Overmastery" is when you use up dangerous amounts of your body's water. That doesn't happen to Kenton. His sudden loss of powers in volume 1 is a mystery at this point.

Hopefully we’ll find out in volume two. In any case, I’m fairly confident that Kenton lost his powers due to overmastery. But even if it isn’t overmastery, virtually nothing occurs between the time that Kenton briefly masters sand in chapter three and when his powers are gone at the end of the chapter that could cause him to lose his powers, so this is still likely an error. The only event I see prior to this time that could lead to his lost powers is the battle with the Kerztians

• 4 months later...

In Volume 1, chapter 5, page 5 (I think) Khriss makes a reference to "Irarians". In Volume 2, chapter 5, five pages from the end of the chapter we learn that Baon is from "Iiaria". The prose refers to "Iiaria" and "Iiarians", but no mention of an "Iraria" or "Irarians".

My BEST guess is that in the revisions to writing Volume 1 it was decided to change Iiaria/Iiarian to Iraria/Irarian, but this was lost and forgotten while writing Volume 2.

My second best guess is that the instance of "Irarians" in Volume 1 is a typo there.

Other possibilities are that these refer to separate nations or that for the graphic novels they decided to keep Iiaria but change the adjective to Irarian. But both of these seem awkward and highly unlikely to me.

Chapter 1 page 13 (the page after one of the professors tells Khriss that Kenton needs a skilled diplomat on his side, at the top of the page where Kenton and Aarik are discussing the Diem's debt for the first time)

Aarik says "The Diem's situation is bad old friend. The Taisha wants to disband you..." I think that should be "The Taishin want to disband you", since Taisha is singular and it is the entire council (-ish) that want the Diem disbanded.

On page 56 when Acron is speaking with Khriss about the night the captain died and Baon ran into the camp. Baon claimed that Dynasty border guards killed the men. 

The problem is that the two panels that were supposed to show this were obviously on dayside, not darkside where Dynasty and it's borders would be. 

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:52 AM, ccstat said:

Ebook, page 106, center panel. Kenton's dialog attributed to an assassin. ("We can discuss that once...")

Actually, I am pretty sure that that is an art error. The artist accidentally colored Kenton's robe in blue. My reasoning is that the assassin didn't have a hood, and the zinkallin in the shot belongs to a mostly-off-panel Ais.

• 10 months later...

Edit: sorry for all of the "Also's" below. XD Been combing through this book for Coppermind work so I've just been adding things on to this post. :)

Chapter 1, on the second page of Kenton's conversation with the Lord Artisan (just after his first meeting with Delius).

In the center left panel, Kenton says "Dai'Keen" but the word is normally spelled "DaiKeen" without an apostrphe. (This is the only instance with an apostrophe that I've seen so far. Will keep looking in the rest of volume 2.)

Also...

Maybe a continuity error? We see Kenton use "Shella" several times in volume 2. I get the sense that this is a Darksider curse, and the Prose affirms that. Perhaps that's not necessarily correct. Perhaps Kenton picked it up from his mother. Thought it was worth pointing out though.

Also...

Fifth page of Chapter 4, Kenton refers to the a type of sandling which was introduced in Chapter 3 as "DelRak Naisha", but here he calls them. "DelRaiken". I believe this (the plural of DelRak) should be "DelRakin".

Also...

On the 11th and 12th pages of Chapter 4 there are two speech bubbles (both in the left-center panel) attributed to Dirin, but they definitely seem to be speech coming from Kenton. ("Now hold it steady." on page 11 and "...and strike." on page 12)

Also...

At the end of the fight that begins at the start of Chapter 5, Kenton says, "I don't know. The Kerztian high priest has a contract on my life but this is the first Lossandin who's tried to kill me." Run-on sentence. Needs comma before "but". And on the following page, "It was a setup, I still don't know how or why." seems like it should have a comma after "setup" rather than a period. There are similar issues to these in lots of places, but it can be tricky to say whether it's an actual error or just odd punctuation because of the colloquial nature of the text.

Also...

And later in the speech bubble, seems like it needs a space between "friends...almost". (This happens again at some point after this, but I forgot to note what page. I think it was a top right panel.)

Also...

I've just noticed that in Volume 2, the occasional page headings (giving location, time, etc.) indicate capitalization--they use small caps for lowercase letters. Thus I noticed some capitalization errors...

Chapter 1 page 1 has "Sand Masters" which should be all lower case.

Chapter 1 page 12 uses "Darksider Quarter", Chapter 4 page 21 uses "Darkside quarter", and Chapter 5 page 16 uses "darkside quarter". Darkside should definitely be capitalized so that last is an error. As for the other two, depends whether it's supposed to be a proper noun or not. One of the two is presumably an error.

Also...

Speaking of capitalization errors, the "Previously..." page at the very beginning has a lot of those. (including inconsistencies just on that page alone) Notably is capitalized "Sand Masters" and I think some lower case "darkside/dayside" uses.

In Chapter 4, on the page before they reach Kezare, Khriss comments on the air gun device:

It's an interesting device this zinkallin, Kenton. Mechanically simple, it operates along similar principles to our pistols.

Based on the Prose version and some other uses in the graphic novels (e.g. qido/qidoin), I'm pretty sure this is the plural form of zinkall. But the sentence is structured as if it's singular.

Seems like this should be "zinkall" or else the sentence needs to be reworded slightly.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2018 at 8:56 PM, Personification said:

Actually, I am pretty sure that that is an art error. The artist accidentally colored Kenton's robe in blue. My reasoning is that the assassin didn't have a hood, and the zinkallin in the shot belongs to a mostly-off-panel Ais.

I disagree, as Kenton is seen in the center of the panel surrounded by glowing sand, standing next to Ais. The hooded assassin with the incorrect speech bubble can be seen in the next picture in the same place relative to the assassin with the pony tail.

On 7/14/2019 at 6:48 PM, Jofwu said:

Edit: sorry for all of the "Also's" below. XD Been combing through this book for Coppermind work so I've just been adding things on to this post. :)

Also, as I was looking through the Coppermind, the Interactions with Investiture section in the article on Sandlings says "She eventually realizes that the sand gains a microflora after being ingested by the sandlings," which I believe is an error. In the scene where Khriss is explaining the differences between the sands, she says sand that has been ingested by sandlings has been stripped of the invested microflora, and so appears like Darkside sand.

10 hours ago, ReadAndFindOut said:

Also, as I was looking through the Coppermind, the Interactions with Investiture section in the article on Sandlings says "She eventually realizes that the sand gains a microflora after being ingested by the sandlings," which I believe is an error. In the scene where Khriss is explaining the differences between the sands, she says sand that has been ingested by sandlings has been stripped of the invested microflora, and so appears like Darkside sand.

Agreed, good eye. The White Sand articles desperately need some love. :)

• 1 month later...
  • Jofwu pinned this topic
  • 4 weeks later...

not a typo or an art error, but an error nonetheless:

when delius explains that he's drinking expensive wine to spend money of the other merchants, he gives the price of a bottle at 1000 lak.

the debt that cannot be settled, and that kept growing for centuries, is given at 700000 lak. that's 700 bottles of wine.

I really doubt a sum that is ludicrous to even the most prosperous merchants cannot buy more than 700 bottles of wine. delius surely has drunk more than that in five years.

I'm thinking a lak could be equaled to 1000 dollars roughly. 700 millions would be something well above the wealth of any merchant (discounting some big corporations that would not exist in taldain), while 70 millions would already be manageable. most important, the debt has increased a lot over centuries, and it was very big to start with. so a lak must be much more than 100 dollars, otherwise when the debt was smaller - say, only 200 thousand laks - it could have been paid.

the other reference we have is 20 thousand to set up mining operations. I have no idea how much money it would take to set up mining in a preindustrial society. $ 20 millions seems a bit high, when there is no expensive machinery. so perhaps a bit less than 1000 dollars per lak.

anyway if we take a lak to be 500-1000 dollars, then a bottle of wine, no matter how expensive, cannot really cost more than 10 or 20 laks. 30, tops.

• 2 months later...

As there are no page numbers, I will use pages after the chapter header to show where these are.

The first is on the 9th page of chap. 4 in the middle/left of the page.

Hard to believe that young man was hiding such combat ability, no?

The text bubble points to Lord Delius. However, it doesn't make sense for Lord Delius to be the one who says this since he is walking away in the previous frame, and is almost gone by this one. I think it was intended that Baon (the only other character in the frame) be who says this line. This would only make sense if Baon speaks Lossandin though.

The second is on the 2nd page of chap. 6 on the bottom right of the page.

Kenton always insisted he could do more with one ribbon more than anyone else could do with dozens, Elorin. He always said that.

One too many 'more's here. Either one of them needs to leave, or there should be a comma/semicolon before the second 'more'.

• 3 weeks later...

Major inconsistency I've noticed while writing White Sand articles for the Coppermind:

In Volume 1 chapter 2 we see Drile refuse to drink from the ceremonial water bowl. Kenton brings this up again in chapter 6 of the same book, saying again that Drile did not drink the water.

In Volume 3 chapter 6 Drile says that he felt weak during their duel- the same way he felt weak during the battle with the Kerztians in the Kerla. The two of them then put two and two together and realize that Elorin poisoned the water they both drank.

So in Volume 1 the we see Drile decline to drink, sand in Volume 3 he says that he drank. What exactly is going on over here?