White Sand Volume 1-3 Typos

WeiryWriter

So I found a typo and figured we should have a thread for reporting them.

On the third to last page of Chapter 3 the full name of Gevin is spelled "Gevaldin" when Khriss is speaking to Loaten on the eleventh page of Chapter 5 it is spelled "Gevalden".

I found a... bubble-o(?).

In the bottom left of the third page of Chapter 5, Cynder and Jon are quibbling about linguistics vs. anthropology. The speech bubbles are associated with the wrong characters, with each "speaking" the others' lines.

40 minutes ago, Kythis said:

I can't find the exact part right now (read it last night) but there is a bit where a phrase is repeated twice, something like "to return to return" in the middle of a sentence.

Saw that one too, thought it might be for emphasis, but it just seemed off. I was gonna go find it when I get home today.

On 6/28/2016 at 8:23 PM, Kurkistan said:

I found a... bubble-o(?).

In the bottom left of the third page of Chapter 5, Cynder and Jon are quibbling about linguistics vs. anthropology. The speech bubbles are associated with the wrong characters, with each "speaking" the others' lines.

I really, really don't know which guy is Cynder and which one is Jon Acron. On the 6th page of Chapter 4, the comic seems to be interchanging the names in the same panel unless I am confusing the intent of that whole panel. In any case, the first two panels are also at odds with how they are initially introduced.

Edit: In looking through the rest of the book, it seems that the initial scene introducing them might be incorrect? There's a lot more references to the Blue Overcoat as being Cynder and the White Overcoat as being Jon. Although, again, C4 P6 has them referring to the same person using both names in the same panel. Ultimately, I guess it doesn't even matter because I never even realized that Background Sidekick Duo had incorrect names in my first read-through.

Edited by SAMWAF

59 minutes ago, SAMWAF said:

I really, really don't know which guy is Cynder and which one is Jon Acron. On the 6th page of Chapter 4, the comic seems to be interchanging the names in the same panel unless I am confusing the intent of that whole panel. In any case, the first two panels are also at odds with how they are initially introduced.

Edit: In looking through the rest of the book, it seems that the initial scene introducing them might be incorrect? There's a lot more references to the Blue Overcoat as being Cynder and the White Overcoat as being Jon. Although, again, C4 P6 has them referring to the same person using both names in the same panel. Ultimately, I guess it doesn't even matter because I never even realized that Background Sidekick Duo had incorrect names in my first read-through.

Don't look like sidekicks, more like shadows, honestly-

On June 30, 2016 at 2:44 PM, Kythis said:

I can't find the exact part right now (read it last night) but there is a bit where a phrase is repeated twice, something like "to return to return" in the middle of a sentence.

Is it the one at the top of Ch 1, Page 8 "remind me remind me again  why I thought this would be a smart idea? "

14 hours ago, SAMWAF said:

By my count there were five instances where White was indicated to be Cynder the linguist and/or Blue was indicated to be Jon the anthropologist, and five other instances where it was the other way around...

I do think the Ch 4 panel you mention is simply Kenton addressing each of them in turn, not the same person by two different names. But even so, in Chapter 5 when they are arguing about linguistic vs. cultural enclaves it switches off within the space of a single page, which is almost as bad.

Anyway, I noticed the inconsistency pretty much immediately on my first readthrough and am honestly pretty annoyed by it.

ETA: Completely different non-typo possible error: was anybody else really confused by the line "He knows I'm a Sand Master. Changing my robe wasn't enough to confuse him." As far as I can tell, Kenton is still wearing his Sand Master robe when he thinks this...

Edited by Jess

Also, Kenton says after the Kertzian warrior-priest dies, that Kertzians never fight without armor. As far as I can tell, they seem pretty close to unarmored everywhere. 

10 hours ago, Alfa said:

Also, Kenton says after the Kertzian warrior-priest dies, that Kertzians never fight without armor. As far as I can tell, they seem pretty close to unarmored everywhere. 

I figured that to be one of the handful of comments to signify that something fishy is going on with the Kertzians (like them having both the forehead scarring for being a Priest AND the scarring for being a Warrior, at the same time.)

Chapter 5, 4th page, first panel: "No Elisians<SPACE>," -- there's an extra space between "Elisians" and the comma.

Also, is someone from Team Sanderson going to take a look at this thread, or someone from Dynamite...?

Edited by SAMWAF

On 7/1/2016 at 1:43 PM, WeiryWriter said:

Not a typo (and it may not even be a mistake) but based on the prose draft, when Kenton pours out the water to "summon" the dorim vine for Khriss and company shouldn't the sand turn black?

Expanding on WeiryWriter, during the combat between the sand masters and the kershtians, we never see any black sand. There are an army of sand masters, mastering sand, and then dying, yet there is not a drop of black sand laying on the ground that they mastered. That was during the combat. After we do not see any black sand either, though it could be argued by the time Kenton climbs out the sand could have been recharged, but that would mean he was buried under the sand for more than 4 hours. 

So, I have a general complaint about colors but I'm not sure if this qualifies as a typo. Color usage doesn't seem to be super consistent in the comics. For example, some people have blue eyes, and sometimes their eyes are just kinda drawn with browns or generally unclear. Obviously if this is a super long perspective shot, I don't expect people's eyes to be drawn, but take a look at Chapter 1, Page 3-5. Sometimes Praxton's eyes are clear light blue, and sometimes it's brown-ish. Again, maybe I'm just being nit-picky.

Similar complaint for the sand master sashes. Sometimes the colors aren't so clear and/or consistent. Especially since brown, tan, and cream are all the same color (kinda), just different hues. In the big meeting of the entire Diem, each rank of sand masters is set out with colored flags indicating their rank. The colors at this meeting are gold, yellow, dark blue, gray? light blue?, brown, tan, cream?. But then in other instances, there's light blue sashes and maybe even a black sash seen.

There's also a clear error with the sashes in Chapter 1, page 2-3, where there's two instances of someone with a green sash. Based on what I infer from the comics and what I read from the prose version, there isn't a rank green sash. Maybe there's some new, unexplained character with a rank indicated by a green sash that isn't explained, but it feels like it's an error.

Someone else pointed this out in some other thread, but Praxton should be bald. He's drawn with hair in Chapter 1, pages 4-5. 

Edited by SAMWAF

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed most of these through my first read and was frustrated. I have no idea who cynder is compared to acron.. Glad to see this is already a topic. Kinda annoying how so much time was put into this but there seem to be a ton of little mistakes.

Here's something I see no one has mentioned: 

Chapter 3, page 14: khriss asks Kenton is he is sure that he knows that it's only two days to the nearest town.  And he responds "magic!". That response feels like it should follow the question being "how do you know it's only two days out? ".  Not why. It doesn't make sense with why. 

Also why is Kenton a darker brown when every other lightsider is pale and white? Just to make him stand out? 

Edited by Khrissmas

It seems somehow odd to me that Kenton knows the word "magic" but not the word "mage". I know, it's another language, but won't it be better translated with one of its synonyms if you do not want it to have the same root? Of which the english language has plenty, by the way. Wizard, warlock, sorcerer, enchanter, for example.

• 1 month later...