Nahel bond - effects on spren and Surgebinder

Oversleep

Question

Okay, I'm not sure about whether it was a theory only or was it confirmed somewhere.

Does Nahel bond pull the Surgebinder and spren closer together, what results in spren being pulled more into Physical (somewhat confirmed because as the bond progresses spren can manifest as Shardblade) and Surgebinder being pulled more into Cognitive Realm?
I mean, Kaladin was able to see spren nobody else could (like bindspren) and the other instance we have is Rock who is a Horneater who are a result of human/Parshendi interbreeding so they are closer to Cognitive (I just realised that that is also not confirmed).

11 answers to this question

For the first, I think you're almost right, but the bond provides them with sapience in the PR.

For the second, I don't quite know, but Horneaters, despite being listener/human offspring also bathe in the Pool atop the Horneater peaks (note Rock's story in the tavern) which supposedly helps them too

I don't think a Radiant is pulled more in the Cognitive (in normal circustance).

We saw what happened to someone near to the Cognitive with Rock (a little) and Lift (a lot in the Cognitive).

I think the Nahel Bond pulls together the Human-Spren relationship. This is mean the Spren is pulled more in the physical realm when the Radiant is there. But it may mean that a Radiant while is in the Cognitive Realm (Trasportation Surge or Perpendicularity) is pulled more deeply in the Cognitive.

The spren betrayed us, it's often felt.
Our minds are too close to their realm
That gives us our forms, but more is then
Demanded by the smartest spren,
We can't provide what the humans lend,
Though broth are we, their meat is men.

- 9th Stanza of Listener Song of Spren

Yes I think Parshendi are closer to the Cognitive Realm than men, and this characteristic would probably be passed down through interbreeding.

45 minutes ago, MallornDweller said:

The spren betrayed us, it's often felt.
Our minds are too close to their realm
That gives us our forms, but more is then
Demanded by the smartest spren,
We can't provide what the humans lend,
Though broth are we, their meat is men.

- 9th Stanza of Listener Song of Spren

Yes I think Parshendi are closer to the Cognitive Realm than men, and this characteristic would probably be passed down through interbreeding.

That also implies to me that the Spren wanted more physical presence, and humans could provide that since they weren't already so close to the Cognitive (meaning the balance point of the bonds resulted in the spren being pulled farther into the Physical Realm).

jW

It has been RAFO'd if Surgebinders/Radiants are granted longevity as a result of the bond (including after the Recreance), possibly in regards to how it is impossible to kill an idea outright, only kinda, so perhaps if they are brought closer to the CR, then longevity could be a resulting action

On 26/06/2016 at 0:00 PM, ParadoxSpren said:

For the first, I think you're almost right, but the bond provides them with sapience in the PR.

For the second, I don't quite know, but Horneaters, despite being listener/human offspring also bathe in the Pool atop the Horneater peaks (note Rock's story in the tavern) which supposedly helps them too

Sapience? or Sentience. The pool is may also be a Shardpool....so I guess that explains a bit

On 7/1/2016 at 2:14 AM, Darkness Ascendant said:

Animals can be sentient, which means able to think for itself. However, only humans can be sapient, so we are technically both

It is most definitely sapience in the Physical which is granted by the Nahel bond.