Yolen, Adonalsium and the Creeping Death

CaptainRyan

Please note the following theory will contain spoilers for the sample chapters of "Liar of Partinel".

New Theory: Some, or all, of the original sixteen holders of the shards of Adonalsium were driven to Shatter Adonalsium because of 

Spoiler

the Skullmoss. Perhaps Adonalsium was somehow the cause of the Skullmoss. Perhaps some, or all, of the Vessels wanted to use the power of Adonalsium to stop the Skullmoss? Perhaps the reason Yolen is inaccessible is because the Vessels sealed off Yolen to prevent the Skullmoss from spreading to other parts of the Cosmere?

The sample chapters also mention, repeatedly, that there were once gods on Yolen and then they died. Splinters of pre-Shattering Adonalsium perhaps? Was part of the purpose of the Shattering an attempt to create new gods to protect people from the Skullmoss?

Blarg! There are so many tantalizing hints and possibilities in those few sample chapters. If only all of the Cosmere books were done and we could know what happened! Ah well, someday.

1 hour ago, Argel said:

It's not canon, so we don't even know if that will occur. We already know one thing in LoP was moved to Aether.

Indeed, it is not canon but I think there are, at the very least, hints of what might have occurred. While it is possible Brandon will rewrite the entire Shattering storyline, I am merely speculating with the available information. 

Yeah, I'm just not sure how far that can go when we already know at least one element was moved to a different setting. We know Hoid's real name and that he took it from his master, and maybe his personality starts out that way as well, but the more setting specific we get, I think the less we can rely on it. And e.g. no hint of dragons. It's not clear if the LoP Yolen is what Brandon has in his head anymore. Though don't we know Yolen has three races (human, dragon, and ??), so maybe the third race is the one causing the problems.

It was the other way around, actually - the magic system from Aether was reused in Liar. It may get cut, though, if Brandon decides to rewrite Aether or drastically change Liar, since he felt it wasn't a great fit.

Third race is called Shodel, but I don't think we know anything about them.

LoP Spoilers:

I suspect if the skullmoss sticks around, then it would be 'solved' by the end of Liar of Partinel or its sequel. There will be a time-jump between Liar of Partinel duology and Dragonsteel Prime, and we know that a good chunk of Dragonsteel Prime was the Shattered Plains sequence that was taken and repurposed for Way of Kings. Since Dragonsteel Prime was before the Shattering, I don't expect it will still be dealing with the fallout from the skullmoss.

Also, I would argue that we still do not know Hoid's real name. I have a feeling the name he gave his master (the original Hoid) is not the one he was born with.

On topic (Liar of Partinel spoilers):

Spoiler

Perhaps they solve the problem of the Skullmoss in Liar or perhaps they simply buy themselves some breathing room by fixing up a few circles. I have not had the privilege of reading the full "Liar of Partinel" so I do not know what direction Brandon takes with the story. It could even be a Mistborn: the Final Empire style twist where 

Spoiler

they assume they won by defeating the Lord Ruler but, instead, they set themselves up for a bigger failure.

They might then decide to Shatter Adonalsium as a desperate act?

• Chaos locked this topic