I got White Sand (Prose)!

Wychmire

24 minutes ago, Pathfinder said:

I think Brandon has staff monitoring the emails the past few years, because about a year or so ago, I asked for it and a day or so later I got it. 

I and a friend of mine waited a month for the book

5 hours ago, Daniyah said:

If we want The Aether of Night, do we ask for it like we did for White Sand? 

Yes

But as far as I know Aether of Night was being torn to pieces and this pieces where used as elements in another books... This is the reason I avoided to request it. I don't want mess with my Cosmere's knowledge with contents far from canon

Edited by Yata

It says on Coppermind, "Elements have been incorporated into later works such as "Decay" becoming the Shard Ruin in the Mistborn series"

2 hours ago, Yata said:

But as far as I know Aether of Night was being tear a parts and parts of it where used as elements in another books... This is the reason I avoided to request it. I don't want mess with my Cosmere's knowledge with contents far from canon

I get what you mean now. So I think I'll refrain from reading it too

On 25.6.2016 at 11:56 PM, Wychmire said:

I just finished White Sand! It was excellent but I wish Eric had been dealt with better. His part of the story didn't seem to wrap up very well.

Really? I really liked how Erics story played out. It's just refreshingly different from other novels.

Spoiler

Normally when the writer puts the protagonist in a situation were they have to do something bad, they either make them stubbornly refuse and have some magic happen to have everything work out anyway or they make them magically come up with a third option that makes everyone happy or they have them just be too dumb to realize that it's a bad choice and then their intention was still pure and innocent. But not this time. He actually is forced to do the bad thing, knowing full well that it is a bad choice. And he still has to do it, because there is not other way.

And Erics destiny is also somewhat important in the grand theme of the book. The whole book is centered around duality and the clash of two worlds and this is represented in the characters, who each are struggling with different parts of themselves that can't work together:

Eric fights between his sense of responsibility and his desire for freedom.

Ais fights between his religious doctrine and his personal morals that contradict each other.

Kenton fights between his rebeliousness and his sense of responsibility.

And Khriss fights between her former innocence and her newfound adventerousness. (Or however you write it).

Both Kenton and Khriss get well out of this fight because they accept their new selfs, while accepting the person that they were before. This is accentuated by Kentons use of his one strong ribbon in the fight with drile. Eric and Ais however don't come well out of their struggles. Eric feels like he can only be one or the other. He feels that he can either only be responsible or free, but not both. Which, in the end, forces him to choose one part of himself and leaves him unhappy. Ais also doesn't come out too good, because he holds too strongly to both of his believes and his struggle never really ends. He can't accept that not everything of his religious doctrine can be compatible with his own morality and keeps on trying to make something work that ultimatly can't work out.

On 6.7.2016 at 1:42 AM, StormingTexan said:

Took me about 6 months to get it. I really wish someone could convince Brandon with a little editing to publish this. I enjoyed it more than Elantris. The graphic novel is not a good enough replacement. Of course in Brandon I trust so Que Sera, Sera.

Amen, Brother. This novel is really really good and that makes me kind of worried about the graphic novel. The gn format just doesn't really work with Brandon Stories and he allready said that if the graphic novels are a success that they will be the only format for this world. And that all subsequent stories published on this world will be also graphic novels in that case. And I really really don't want that.

The prose is just so much better than the graphic novel even in it's unedited state. And I really want more novels in this world, it really is an interesting world, which deserves more than some shallow graphic novels.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/9/2016 at 3:38 PM, Amaror said:

Really? I really liked how Erics story played out. It's just refreshingly different from other novels.

Reveal hidden contents

Normally when the writer puts the protagonist in a situation were they have to do something bad, they either make them stubbornly refuse and have some magic happen to have everything work out anyway or they make them magically come up with a third option that makes everyone happy or they have them just be too dumb to realize that it's a bad choice and then their intention was still pure and innocent. But not this time. He actually is forced to do the bad thing, knowing full well that it is a bad choice. And he still has to do it, because there is not other way.

And Erics destiny is also somewhat important in the grand theme of the book. The whole book is centered around duality and the clash of two worlds and this is represented in the characters, who each are struggling with different parts of themselves that can't work together:

Eric fights between his sense of responsibility and his desire for freedom.

Ais fights between his religious doctrine and his personal morals that contradict each other.

Kenton fights between his rebeliousness and his sense of responsibility.

And Khriss fights between her former innocence and her newfound adventerousness. (Or however you write it).

Both Kenton and Khriss get well out of this fight because they accept their new selfs, while accepting the person that they were before. This is accentuated by Kentons use of his one strong ribbon in the fight with drile. Eric and Ais however don't come well out of their struggles. Eric feels like he can only be one or the other. He feels that he can either only be responsible or free, but not both. Which, in the end, forces him to choose one part of himself and leaves him unhappy. Ais also doesn't come out too good, because he holds too strongly to both of his believes and his struggle never really ends. He can't accept that not everything of his religious doctrine can be compatible with his own morality and keeps on trying to make something work that ultimatly can't work out.

Eh. The story just didn't finish Eric's part.  And never explained what he did afterwards.