Hoid in The Emperor's Soul (Major Spoilers)

So in The Emperor's Soul, Shai is betrayed by "The Imperial Fool". Bradon Sanderson has said that the fool is Hoid. But then that makes me wonder why he stole the moon scepter. It seems that everything Hoid does has some purpose behind it, so what do you guys think Hoid's reasoning was for stealing it? Also, does anyone else feel bad for Shai? Who knows how much time she' going to waste trying to track down a world hopper (although it would be interesting if she became a member of The Seventeenth Shard and began worldhopping in search of him. I know how unlikely that is, but it would still be neat).

We actually know why Hoid stole the Moon Scepter. This is a pretty heavily paraphrased quote from the London Forbidden Planet signing during the Shadows for Self tour:

In what way is the Moon Sceptre linked to the Dor?

Brandon - I think we can canonise this. So the Moon Sceptre-...so the sceptre is kinda like the Rosetta Stone. You can use it to translate the symbols from one system to the symbols of another and can use it to understand their meaning (paraphrased a bit, but simply put Moon Sceptre = Seliash/Selian Investiture Rosetta Stone)

My initial hypotesis was that a Selish's Magic User with the Sceptre may travel in another region of Sel and use the "ReCoded" simbols to use his Magic there as if he is a local mage.

Example: An Elantrian goes to the Rose Empire, and with the Sceptre's conversion He may use AonDor through MaiPon's characters.

But there are things that made me doubt of my own idea <_<

• 5 months later...
On 6/22/2016 at 10:30 PM, Stranker said:

So in The Emperor's Soul, Shai is betrayed by "The Imperial Fool". Bradon Sanderson has said that the fool is Hoid. But then that makes me wonder why he stole the moon scepter. It seems that everything Hoid does has some purpose behind it, so what do you guys think Hoid's reasoning was for stealing it? Also, does anyone else feel bad for Shai? Who knows how much time she' going to waste trying to track down a world hopper (although it would be interesting if she became a member of The Seventeenth Shard and began worldhopping in search of him. I know how unlikely that is, but it would still be neat).

"The Imperial Fool" = "The King's Wit"  How did I not see this the first time?

• 2 weeks later...

"In what way is the Moon Sceptre linked to the Dor?

Brandon - I think we can canonise this. So the Moon Sceptre-...so the sceptre is kinda like the Rosetta Stone. You can use it to translate the symbols from one system to the symbols of another and can use it to understand their meaning (paraphrased a bit, but simply put Moon Sceptre = Seliash/Selian Investiture Rosetta Stone)"

But why did Hoid need to translate symbols? Is it just because he wants more knowledge?

Edited by rohyu
format

Well, we don't actually know why. TES is early Cosmere so Hoid's aims/goals would even harder to guess at than usual but it wasn't his first visit to Sel, as he'd appeared in Elantris (but he has visited even earlier than that). We don't know exactly how the Sceptre does what it does or if it can have any further capabilities but he seems to want for something.

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/14/2016 at 7:13 AM, AnanasSpren said:

Well, we don't actually know why. TES is early Cosmere so Hoid's aims/goals would even harder to guess at than usual but it wasn't his first visit to Sel, as he'd appeared in Elantris (but he has visited even earlier than that). We don't know exactly how the Sceptre does what it does or if it can have any further capabilities but he seems to want for something.

Ten years earlier?

• 6 months later...
  • Chaos locked this topic