Collection of all information involving Arsteel and Yesteel

Aliroz-The-Confused

Was it ever said that Arsteel and Yesteel were one another's only siblings?  Was it ever said which one was elder, and which one was younger?  What can we guess about Yesteel from his fallen brother?

Having no copy of Warbreaker, and eagerly awaiting Nightblood, I make this thread for all information involving the Steel Siblings.

Edited by Aliroz-The-Confused

The only things I remember are:

- Arsteel was the best swordsman of them (and probably of Nalthis at all)

- Astreel was probably of good heart, and he wanted to put together the old band.

- Yesteel is very good at stealth, or at least is better of Vasher

- Yesteel is the Ichor's creator and has probably a lot of knowledge about the Lifeless's creation and managment.

If I remember correctly, Brandon's annotations to Warbreaker also say that Yesteel might know how to create Type IV Biochromatic entities... I think there was a hint in the annotations but I am not sure.

2 hours ago, Civis said:

If I remember correctly, Brandon's annotations to Warbreaker also say that Yesteel might know how to create Type IV Biochromatic entities... I think there was a hint in the annotations but I am not sure.

Yes, that's likely what the second book will be about (if it's ever written).

I think the annotations mention it after the Lifeless army has been stopped, when Brandon confirms that if they hadn't been stopped, a new Manywar would have broken out, partly because of Yesteel.

Here are a few Arsteel/Yesteel WoB:

Interview: Feb 17th, 2016

Question

Is Yesteel on Roshar right now?

Brandon Sanderson

That is a RAFO.

Tags

Interview: Jul, 2009

Jeremy_Carroll

I've got a few Warbreaker questions: Is Clod a Lifeless Arsteel?

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. Good eye.

As far as I know that's basically all of the WOB relating to either (there are some that are just the same questions re-worded).

I forget something:

At the end of Warbreaker Jewel take Clod to his former brother (yesteel) hoping he may help her to restore a bit of Arsteel's mind (it's in the Warbreaker's annotations)

Edited by Yata

10 hours ago, Yata said:

I forget something:

At the end of Warbreaker Jewel take Clod to his former brother (yesteel) hoping he may help her to restore a bit of Allomantic steel's mind (it's in the Warbreaker's annotations)

For the confused: Yata meant to type "Arsteel", and what he did type was autocorrected to "Allomantic steel." 

28 minutes ago, Landis963 said:

For the confused: Yata meant to type "Arsteel", and what he did type was autocorrected to "Allomantic steel." 

Edited, thanks.... But have we an autocorrector ? o.O

On 1.07.2016 at 8:42 AM, Yata said:

Edited, thanks.... But have we an autocorrector ? o.O

Yeah. Every time you type fmetal or ametal, it gets autocorrected to "Feruchemical metal" or "Allomantic metal". ("metal" is the variable: it has to be one of the Scadrial's magic metals). Easier to type that way.

1 hour ago, Blackhoof said:

wait, Clod is a Lifeless Arsteel???

Yep, the book have a lot of clue about... And we have also WoBs that confirmed that things.

Clod is an experiment to see if you can turn a Returned to a Lifeless and in the end try to recover an Asset. You may see in the book that Clod has more sentience than the average lifeless, this is made in large part because He recived a lot of Breath just before dies (the Vasher's trick) and probably those Breath (or a part of them) were stored in the Corpe instead of vanish at the death.

When he was turned in a Lifeless He manage to stay closer to his former self thanks to Vasher's Breath (and maybe his nature as Returned but I don't think)

47 minutes ago, Blackhoof said:

I'll have to look for these clues on my next Warbreaker re-read

For example notice how Vasher refers to Clod in the book. And we knows Vasher has no problems with Lifeless in general (the Squirrel or the development of new kinds of liveless).... It's just uncomfortable with Clod

Edited by Yata

On 23 juin 2016 at 9:43 AM, Yata said:

The only things I remember are:

- Arsteel was the best swordsman of them (and probably of Nalthis at all)

- Astreel was probably of good heart, and he wanted to put together the old band.

- Yesteel is very good at stealth, or at least is better of Vasher

- Yesteel is the Ichor's creator and has probably a lot of knowledge about the Lifeless's creation and managment.

If i remember correctly, Dent (Vartredelees) was the better swordman.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a weird feeling that Yesteel did end up travelling to Roshar and that's why Vasher is there during SA. I know that it's been brought up that he finds utilizing Stormlight more humane than Breath to sustain himself, but by that same logic wouldn't Yesteel also find it easier to experiment with a more abundant and easily accessible resource?

Edited by The Invested Beard

19 minutes ago, The Invested Beard said:

I have a weird feeling that Yesteel did end up travelling to Roshar and that's why Vasher is there during SA. I know that it's been brought up that he finds utilizing Stormlight more humane than Breath to sustain himself, but by that same logic wouldn't Yesteel also find it easier to experiment with a more abundant and easily accessible resource?

I like the theory of that's why Vasher is there, but from what I understand he can't awaken anything on Roshar, he can infuse himself with investiture to sustain himself but using it is a different story. I'm unsure if he can use any surges while there. Hoid is the only one with abilities wherever he goes, but he is also incredibly old and more or less watched this universe form.

I do wonder what would happen if Yesteel traveled to Roshar, filled himself with stormlight and then hopped in a shardpool back to Nalthis.

4 minutes ago, Naurock said:

I do wonder what would happen if Yesteel traveled to Roshar, filled himself with stormlight and then hopped in a shardpool back to Nalthis.

We know that different forms of Investiture can interact in strange ways, so this raises the question of what would happen if Yesteel did this, then immediately got some Breath on Nalthis.

In WoR, someone (Mraize? Mr. T?) mentions a ruler / king in a city we haven't heard too much about yet, and describes that ruler as having "god-like abilities" or something like that. (Sorry - no time to look it up now; will come back and edit to add it later if I can.) I wonder if that ruler-person isn't Yesteel? Especially if they thought he was bringing dead bodies back to "life." BTW my guesses are usually way off, so take this with a grain of copper. :mellow:

On 9/8/2016 at 5:28 PM, Naurock said:

First of all He would take too much time to return (ok bad joke) to Nalthis. The Stormlight will not last. But I am pretty sure that the Stormlight can't trasform itself into Breath.

12 hours ago, old aggie said:

In WoR, someone (Mraize? Mr. T?) mentions a ruler / king in a city we haven't heard too much about yet, and describes that ruler as having "god-like abilities" or something like that. (Sorry - no time to look it up now; will come back and edit to add it later if I can.) I wonder if that ruler-person isn't Yesteel? Especially if they thought he was bringing dead bodies back to "life." BTW my guesses are usually way off, so take this with a grain of copper. :mellow:

He's the god-king of Tukar and if he is human, apparently he's "not of the local species" whatever that means. I took that to mean Aimian but it could be a Returned too.

On 2016-08-12 at 4:26 AM, old aggie said:

My guess is that it's one of the Heralds, but take that with a grain of copper as well :P

• Chaos locked this topic