Teach me

Darkness Ascendant

You mean free-form, right?

I'm just going to assume that you mean free-form, because that's what most of the RPs here are.

I'm also going to assume you already know this stuff:

Free-form role-playing is less like tabletop role-playing and more like a collaborative fanfic. In this sort of game, each player creates one (or two, or three, or ten) characters, writes for those characters, and develops them throughout the game. (Most of these games don't have a character limit, so create as many as you want, but make sure you can keep track!) 

Free-form games don't really have a goal. There may be a loose plot (for example, the What Happened in Oregon series center on the destruction of Oregon in the Epic turf wars) but there aren't really campaigns. Most of the time, it's difficult to say what will happen three or four pages out, as long-term plans are loose at best and subject to change. As a result, these games are highly character-driven as opposed to event-driven—that is to say, characters determine what will happen next by how they interact with their setting and with other characters. 

and if you don't, now you do.

So to begin, what you want to do first is to make an introduction post in the discussion thread, introducing your character to the other players. Then, you write an introductory post in the main thread, to shove your character where you want him/her to be able to start RPing. This post will usually include some background on your character and also provide some action to create a situation for your character to enter the plot.

From there you can just start to RP and interact with other players. If you want your player to interact with other players in the same post, you should PM them or send them a link to a doc so you can collaborate on how your character can interact. This will make it so that you don't control other people's characters like NPCs or something.

I'm not really a very experienced player, having only participated in two RPs so far, so a more experienced player could probably give more information on how RPs work.

• 3 weeks later...