Shardic Sentience

Emeralis00

So Preservation and Ruin had to collaborate because neither could create. Animals were not sentient because they had balanced amounts of Preservation and Ruin in them. Humans were sentient because they had a tiny piece of Preservation in them...

Yes.

So do we think that Ruin is unable to give a piece of himself to grant sentience, or just unwilling?

Unwilling. He wanted to destroy stuff, and only collaborated to make animals and plants so he could destroy it. Preservation broke the 'deal' by making humans sentient and then trapping Ruin.

Furthermore, do we think that humanity has similar origins elsewhere? Did Aona and Skai collaborate on Sel's humans? Was Endowment able to make humans by herself?

I don't know. I assume yes on both accounts.

Honor claims credit for creating humanity... did he do it alone or did he need help?

I know the least about this one, but I believe that he collaborated with Cultivation.

Are Scadrians more reckless because of their connection to Ruin? More conservative because of Preservation?

Conservative. They have more Preservation in them, and as a result they get allomancy, which is a way for them to preserve their life/power/important-thing.

Are Selians more ambitious and/or empathetic? Nalthians more generous? Rosharans more honest?

A lot of the basis of this theory is how they obtain their magic. Nalthese use their magic, Breath, by gifting it to others, Rosharins can only use their magic by being honorable (i.e. Kaladin could only use the second phrase by going back to save Dalinar). So, in effect, I would say that the shard of their origin affects their personality.

Can I just say that this theory is brilliant!

As to the question about if Odium had created humans. Since sentience is ultimately from the Shards, obviously the parshmen are the creation of Roshar's Shards. Earlier it was mentioned that perhaps Cultivation and Honor collaborated on Roshar's humans. What if the parshmen are Odium's attempt at creating humans, only altered to better match Odium's Intent. It would also make sense in regards to Jasnah's theory.

Humans existed before the 16 shards, The shards who created humans based them mostly on the ones they had seen before (from world liar is on as far as I know).

Yes. That is what I said in the OP.

Can I just say that this theory is brilliant!

As to the question about if Odium had created humans. Since sentience is ultimately from the Shards, obviously the parshmen are the creation of Roshar's Shards. Earlier it was mentioned that perhaps Cultivation and Honor collaborated on Roshar's humans. What if the parshmen are Odium's attempt at creating humans, only altered to better match Odium's Intent. It would also make sense in regards to Jasnah's theory.

Thank You! :D

It makes sense, however I would say that the Parshendi are the product of Odium rather than Parshmen because don't exactly show any sort of hate or major emotion whatsoever (unless you touch their dead but that could be a cultural thing).

Well, I think that the reason they are so docile is that some sort of magic mojo was put on them by the humans, who then turned the parshmen into servants. Of course we don't know enough about the world to say whether or not that is even possible. That spell might have override or subdued Odium's influence on them. As for the Parshendi I would say either they somehow avoided the spell, have overcome it, or Odium just created some new ones.

• Chaos locked this topic