Emotional Allomancy on other Animals

Yata

Question

Like the title says.

Does the Emotional Allomancy work on Animals (or other species) ?

I lnow it works on Hemalurgic Costruct but they are beings Human-based or Mistwrath-based (and in the end the Mistwraths are Human based).

12 answers to this question

I think it should work to some extent. Don't know much how animals work in Cognitive and Spiritual Realms, but I guess their brain chemistry is not that different from human's. Dopamine makes them happy, some other hormone makes them afraid etc. I'd say you can use a lot of emotional allomancy on mammals, primates especially, but good luck using it on a snail.

Actually... Emotional Allomancy doesn't work on koloss nor kandra; I mean, of course, after certain threshold is reached, you can control them, but under that threshold it has no effect. But at the same time Inquisitors are normally suspectible to emotional Allomancy.

That line about Inquisitors... I vaguely remember that issue being discussed somewhere.

It's a bit weird to Necro my own question with answer but I found the aswer to my old question searching a WoB for another Sharder.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Mistborn/comments/51n9c2/does_emotional_allomancy_work_on_animals/

Relevant parts:

Brandon:  Emotional Allomancy requires a certain level of sapience.

------

Q: huh, so that would mean that Divine Breath (or just regular Breath?) works in a completely different underlying mechanism than Emotional Allomancy in providing that calming effect for animals and children. I had previously thought it was just an overlap in abilities.

Brandon: There is an overlap. But it involves playing with spirit webs and/or the Cognitive Realm.

-------

Q: So dolphins, oragutans, mistwraiths and parrots might work?

Brandon: I was intentionally vague. :)

Well unless I missed something, we do not know the technical break down of how emotional allomancy works. So we do not know if it is triggering dopamine, or any other cerebral chemicals or not. I admit this is a far oversimplification, but my mentality is, it is emotional allomancy, animals and creatures have emotions, so it affects them lol. 

Someone should ask Brandon. With that said, I do not think we have ever read of it occuring in the books. YOu'd think it would come up if it was feasible. (e.g. a bunch of stampeding horses....). Maybe a strong connection to the spiritual realm is needed, and animals are weaker on that front?

51 minutes ago, Argel said:

Someone should ask Brandon. With that said, I do not think we have ever read of it occuring in the books. YOu'd think it would come up if it was feasible. (e.g. a bunch of stampeding horses....). Maybe a strong connection to the spiritual realm is needed, and animals are weaker on that front?

I think that Emotional Allomancy works with Cognitive Pulses, after all a Copper Ferring is immune to Emotional Allomancy and in the end Copper "cover" Allomantic Pulses.

If this is true the only natural defence aganist Emotional Allomancy is a strong Identity and in the end also an animal may have stronger identity than human (because more simply), but of course less than a Stick B)

In the Cosmere, it seems likely that emotional allomancy should work on most animals.  If emotionally Allomancy is mostly physical, then human and other creatures brains are almost certainly similar enough to make them generally compatible.  They certainly are in the real world.  If it is cognitive or spiritual, I expect them to be even more similar in how they are effected, considering how much more abstract the other realms are.  

I don't really know anything about animals and their connection to all three realms. However, in SH, there are no animals appearing in the cognitive realm following death, even though there are certainly TONS of animals dying during those last few weeks before the catacendre. I do know that fish were seen in the cognitive realm, however, as mentioned before, but they didn't leave....and go to the beyond...furthermore, Kelsier sees lots of plants in the cognitive realm, but I feel like these are representative of something else (like stars, or asteroids or something) seeing as when he sees them he is in the "sea" of outer space between worlds. So....this isn't really a great answer to the question, but more a comment about how we really don't know how much animals are involved in the cognitive or spiritual realms.

However, on the other hand, there seems to be some kind cognitive magical abilities or something with the birds in sixth of the dusk, and I assume that has something to do with "identity" and "connection" which are parts of the cognitive and spiritual realms....soo....I guess we really don't know.

41 minutes ago, jtburrup said:

I don't really know anything about animals and their connection to all three realms. However, in SH, there are no animals appearing in the cognitive realm following death,

This may be explained with the "more Invested you are and more you resist in the CR before the Beyond" every animal is less Invested than an average human and probably they can't make a willing effort to avoid the Beyond...They may simply go Beyond directly.

That's a great thought @Yata.

And I think we need to think about the names of the realms themselves. Animals are obviously physical, so they exist in the physical world. However, many animals have very little "cognition". But, they do (IMO) have souls...thus, to pass very quickly to the spiritual realm/ the beyond or skip the cognitive realm altogether makes sense to me.

Edited by jtburrup
typos