Forgery Initiation

I think we all agree that the access to the Investiture is related to the Intent of the Shard which the magic belongs to. Examples: Surgebinding - bond and oaths, Allomancy - self-preservation (Snapping), Feruchemy - ruining yourself to later preserve, Hemalurgy - Ruining, Awakening - Endowing Breaths et cetera.

Now, we don't know much about Sel systems. We suspect that Shaod takes those who are devoted to something and that Dakhor is related to domination.

What about Forgery? Shai states anyone could do it, but it requires long studies... And that's it! You have to be really devoted to spend many years learning and studying and if you are enough devoted, you gain Forgery! That's kind of self-fulfilling mechanism - what allows you to use Forgery is what you need to be to learn it. Anyone devoted enough can be a Forger and to become a Forger you need to be really devoted.

I also suspected that rewriting Spiritual Aspect is kind of forcible act, so it can be linked to Dominion, but I feel I'm grasping at straws here.

Someone asked to Mister Sanderson if "everybody" (of the right country) may use Chayshan and Forgery. He aswered somethng like "Forgery ? Nope".

In the end like you said, it's possible that Forgery is so complex that studing it you become devoted enough but I remember Mister Sanderson said that out idea about "be devoted and of the right nation" is wrong

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/1/2016 at 2:26 PM, Stormgate said:

That WoB looks like Sanderson wiggling out of a question.

yeah, iirc the phrasing of the question correctly, the answer could easily be read as not everyone can do it, cause not everyone knows how to.

Gonna try and find it.  Found it.

Around Feb 22nd, 2016, Brandon Sanderson said:

Question

With Forgery and ChayShan, can anybody from that country do them?

Brandon Sanderson
Forge? No.
(source)

It'd be a tight wiggle, but there's room.

Edited by Master_Moridin

Not sure, but perhaps Forgers need to Forge themself? I don't mean Essence stamps, but changing themself by creating a lie, a fake past, about themself and convince themself that it is true. I got this idea from the fact that Shai seems to be talking about some family members (Aunt Lu and Uncle Won, thanks Landis) that thaught her Forgery, magical and mundane, but we have also been given evidence that they didn't exists. This would be in line with the fact that they are devoting themself to something, and the fact that the magic system works by changing the past of objects.

Edited by kenod
Added names

2 hours ago, kenod said:

Not sure, but perhaps Forgers need to Forge themself? I don't mean Essence stamps, but changing themself by creating a lie, a fake past, about themself and convince themself that it is true. I got this idea from the fact that Shai seems to be talking about some family member that thaught her Forgery, magical and mundane, but we have also been given evidence that this person didn't exists. This would be in line with the fact that they are devoting themself to something, and the fact that the magic system works by changing the past of objects.

Aunt Lu and Uncle Won, I believe were the "characters" in question. 

• Chaos locked this topic