I can't be the first person to notice that some of Sanderson's characters seem quite similar. Now, let me be clear, I'm not saying this is a bad thing, and I'm not insulting his writing. I'd be lying to myself if I insulted his work, and also, I don't want to wake up with a Hemalurgic spike in my back. I just thought it'd be fun to point out parallels between characters. For example:

A young, high-ranking man who just wants to lead their country and do what's best for the people, but their dad doesn't make things any easier. At least they have their awesome girlfriend to support them, who's also a pretty good fighter.

I think Elend and Raoden would get along pretty well, actually...

46 minutes ago, Axies the Survivor said:

Quellion and Miles are Kelsier wannabes. People have also pointed out similarities between Kell and Kaladin.

Well, with Kelsier being such an authority/religious figure... Actually I felt that in AoL he was a Shadow Archetype to both Miles and Wax.

Also some similarities between Elend and Suesebron, how they both start out pretty naive to ruling and become epicly awesome leaders.

While we're here, can I just say, I would love to read a conversation between Jasnah and Elend. I feel that they would either become best friends or scholarly mortal enemies... Also, banter between Lightsong and Shallan. I feel that it would be a lasting friendship of Wit, sass and puns.

But, I must say, there is no character that is similar to The Stick. Stick is the perfect character. You go Stick.

Oh I have noticed this... For my part, I have always thought Kaladin, Kelsier, Wax and to a lesser extend David and Dalinar were very similar characters. I have noticed the majority of his male leads were of a similar personality type and I had always thought he was more "creative" with his female character than his males. If I look into SA, Kaladin and Dalinar share many key characteristics, Renarin is a very typical character for Brandon (very similar to Steris and to a lesser extend Elend), but his female seem to swing more madly across the personality spectrum. Jasnah, Shallan and Lift are very different individuals. I figured Lift may be reminiscent of Vin, but very little is known about her character.

Overall, Brandon's male leads tend to be introverted/introspective, traumatized by events of their past, angry, very honorable or trying to be (all have a code they try to maintain and while  this code may change, it is still there). They all think they are right and they tend to take matters into their own hands without listening to others. The have similar powers, flying come across rather often and they all act heroically.

While it certainly isn't a negative thing as all authors have their favorite quirks, it made me yearn for other characters I perceived as "different" to take up a more important role within the various stories.

11 hours ago, Ecthelion III said:

Also Maxal, Wayne is definitely a character I could perceive as "different" XD

LOL. I absolutely agree -_- However Wayne is the one "different character" I am satisfied with when it comes to page time. There could have been more flashbacks pertaining to his past as I yearn to read more about it (I find it very interesting), but his present day presence is important enough. In other words, I do not think Wayne was capable of carrying the POV of a main character: his inner thoughts sounded too insane. So yes, he was different, but not rounded up enough to be the main (or one of the) main players, IMHO.

Cody and Wayne? They are both joking all the time, both speaks with accents, and they both fight/fought crime. And both also have a more serious past, which they dont speak of as often. There are of course many differences as well, like what they are joking about, different skillsets, the fact that Cody carries guns while Wayne does not, and so on.

On June 19, 2016 at 0:37 AM, Eki said:

Vasher and that old grumpy Zahel seem very similar...

Not to mention Hoid, Hoid, Hoid, Hoid and Hoid.

Hate to burst your bubble. 

Spoiler

But Zahel is Vasher. 

1 hour ago, Nashan'Elin said:

I think Eki was joking...

Unless you're joking too. Or maybe I'm bad at online sarcasm. I don't know.

Idk, but if he was, i was being ironic. lol if not, then i was being serious. . . . :lol:

3 hours ago, Stranker said:

Am I the only one who saw a little bit of Wayne in Lift?

I see a little/lot of bit of Wayne in several characters - Lift, Cody and Lopen off the top of my head but I know there are others. Brandon definitely recycles certain traits from time to time. Not to say these characters are carbon copies but rather that they are cut from a similar cloth. 

Edited by CaptainRyan

• Chaos locked this topic