Long Game 23: The Siege of Luthadel

Renegade

Cobbles clicked underfoot, echoing with the muffled reverberations of the nightly mist which gave the street an otherworldly quality. Louik shivered as the dew stole down the back of his long coat, momentarily breaking his carefully composed haughty expression. Blasted informant, he thought. 

Like most noblemen, he had been in the mists countless times throughout his life, but that didn't mean he enjoyed the experience in the least. Especially during these last few days. Ever since the strange lurch in the swirling ether a few days ago, the mist had seemed freer, less restrained. Joyous, even. 

Louik despised change. He prided himself on foreseeing every conceivable possibility and ramification, and planning to best take advantage of even the worst situation. When something deviated from his carefully schemed plans or hypothesi, he took it as almost a personal insult on his intellectual capabilities. The change in the mists had eluded his uncannily accurate foresight, and for that he despised them. The fact that few realized the change even after its occurrence restored some small measure of his pride, but he still did not feel entirely comfortable in the midst of the unexplainable whorls and eddies. 

Still, the informant promised this unique bit of news was well worth the midnight meeting. Seeing a vague shape in the mists, Louik strode forward and dropped a bag of boxings. "Your requested fare, informant. Now, the information". 
     "Yes, Lord--"
     "Not here, you fool!" Louik hissed
     "Of course, of course. I realize how much a slip of my tongue could hurt your regal reputation, my lord" the informant said with a sly smile
     "Be careful how you threaten a member of one of the Lord Ruler's most favored houses, skaa."
     "I meant no threat, my lord. But your house is favored no longer. In fact, no house can now claim to be under the patronage of the Lord Ruler, for he has been killed, and skaa have gained control of Luthadel"
     Louik fell back, a stunned look falling across his face. He had plans for such an occurrence, of course, but they had been composed as more of a mental exercise than an actual course of action. They were only found within his mind as well; no nobleman would dare put such treasonous thoughts on paper. If it were true, though... Whoever gained control of Luthadel stood to become an emperor in their own right. I'd best get packing, he thought with a start. There's no way my house will pass up an opportunity such as this.

This is a faction game. We have four different factions, each with conflicting win conditions, as well as a Spiked team. I know that many people are chomping at the bit to kill as many people on the other teams as possible, but that would be suboptimal for everybody. The Spiked team is a conversion team. The longer we leave them alone, the more powerful their team gets. If we squabble over factional differences, we'll let the Inquisitor seed spies within our ranks.

If we let it grow to full-strength, the Inquisitor team will be stupendously overpowered. Take a moment and think of the players who gain your trust and steal your information, eliminators who get outed and troll you like the second coming of Hoid, planners who are already five steps ahead of you, players who are so commanding that you listen to them even if it's against your best interests. Now imagine all of these people working together as eliminators. Terrified? You should be.

Divided, it will be difficult to find the Spiked lurking in our midsts. Together, we have chance. Everybody's win condition is to kill the Inquisitor and all of the Spiked, but if we cut off the head first, we all will have a better chance of victory.

Please, let's destroy one source of head-splitting paranoia and focus on catching the Inquisitor first.

What are the rules regarding PMs?

5 minutes ago, Arraenae said:

Only Boosted Tin Mistings/Mistborn can make PMs and only for one cycle.  In thread communication will be key to rooting out the Inquisitor.

1 hour ago, Burnt Spaghetti said:

I know i will be. Lopen wont be able to tell me off for cycle 1 lurking this time :P

I'm hoping that doesn't mean you'll be voting on me. XD

Inquisitor - conversions roles are fun. I prolly won't be much help early in prodding people into discussion and I won't be able to talk all that much myself. Sorry! I'll mostly just pop in every now in then with some of my sagely wisdom, but don't expect too much. ;)

MR7: Eighty Splendid Suns started on June 30th, 2015, two days to it's anniversary. It was the last great faction game of this kind, and I recommend those who weren't around to play in it give it a read. It had a different secret faction, but it has a lot of parallels to this game.

I'm not going to focus on the inquisitor. I'm going to focus on the players from rival houses who are also focusing on the house war. Because the Inquisitor and her converts are going to be doing the same, trying to instigate hostilities. I disagree with the people who think the inquisitor will wait to do her conversions. She needs info from the other factions as quickly as possible. Or control over the house she's currently in, I don't know which route she'll choose, but she'll convert fast. 

Also my work just started. I work at a cubscout daycamp, so from about 6 am to 4 pm (or more) I won't have signal. And I'm generally asleep from 10 pm to 6 am. So don't be confused if I don't respond to posts in a timely manner. Good night.

2 hours ago, Arraenae said:

This is a faction game. We have four different factions, each with conflicting win conditions, as well as a Spiked team. I know that many people are chomping at the bit to kill as many people on the other teams as possible, but that would be suboptimal for everybody. The Spiked team is a conversion team. The longer we leave them alone, the more powerful their team gets. If we squabble over factional differences, we'll let the Inquisitor seed spies within our ranks.

If we let it grow to full-strength, the Inquisitor team will be stupendously overpowered. Take a moment and think of the players who gain your trust and steal your information, eliminators who get outed and troll you like the second coming of Hoid, planners who are already five steps ahead of you, players who are so commanding that you listen to them even if it's against your best interests. Now imagine all of these people working together as eliminators. Terrified? You should be.

Divided, it will be difficult to find the Spiked lurking in our midsts. Together, we have chance. Everybody's win condition is to kill the Inquisitor and all of the Spiked, but if we cut off the head first, we all will have a better chance of victory.

Please, let's destroy one source of head-splitting paranoia and focus on catching the Inquisitor first.

I agree. All factions shold put most of their resources into finding the Inquisitors.

I find the argument about the Inquisitor v. a Faction based bloodbath to be largely redundant unless someone actually finds something to point out an Inquisitor. If someone does find something like that, or if I spot something like that, then of course I'll vote for that person. In the meantime, I see no problem with going after other factions. That might sound bloodthirsty, but it's quite possible that the Inquisitor will get caught in the cross-fire along the way anyhow.

For now, here's a bit of RP that I put together just then:

Ranel walked through the streets, ash staining the hem of his robe. Once, he'd never have been forced to endure this. Once, he could have hired a palanquin to carry him. Once, he could have sent a servant to do everything in his place. But, now, things were different. Now, he was supposedly in an enlightened place, free from the shackles of an oppressive tyrant.

And Ranel hated it.

According to this new peoples court, he was free from fear now. He wasn't at risk of being carted off by obligators for having disobeyed one of many strict laws that the Lord Ruler had made. He was free to interact, mingle, and be open without constant political intrigue. But, that was the price of stability. A world where everybody knew their place, where there was order, and where life was predictable.

He sneered at a nearby skaa, trying to cheer himself up. The skaa stared back, defiant. We don't answer to your kind anymore. Ranel remembered the man's face. He, and so many more, would pay the price for their lack of allegiance. People would remember the day when the weak Venture Republic was thrown down, and a new order rose, with Ranel at it's head.

Ranel made his way to a street where a bazaar of stalls, where peddlers of all kinds roared and yelled, as crouds jostled each other. He looked at it, and saw the chaos, the weakness, that had crept into the empire since the Lord Rulers demise. Under his rule, there wouldn't be such weakness. The skaa, the peddlers, and everybody else who thought to question a system which worked for 1000 years would learn obedience once more.

But, today, Ranel couldn't afford to turn his nose up at the commoners. Slowly, he began to head into the crowd. As he worked his way in, he was mercilessly jostled as other shoppers knocked him. He tried to take note of their faces, but their were simply too many.

As he reached a small stall, slightly less conspicuous than most (which wasn't saying much), Ranel quicly ducked aside and under the tent like fabric of the stall. As he glanced around, the room appeared empty, even though he'd deliberately arrived half an hour late. Bloody cheek. Ranel considered it an insult that someone could pull off the same power stunt he did, but do it better than him.

As it turned out, he didn't have to wait long. Only a couple minutes later, a rustling at the side of the stall announced another newcomer to the back of the store. Ranel looked up. "This had better be good." The figure looked up, a smile just barely visible on their face. "Trust me. It is."

Feel free to join the RP, if you like.

10 minutes ago, The Young Bard said:

Do votes for the GM count towards the money prize?

No. ;) Also, before anyone asks, voting for anyone else who is not participating in the game or has died in the game will not give you a boxing. It must be an actual, lynchable player other than yourself.

9 hours ago, zas678 said:

Man, this game is going to be great. It's going to be complicated, with 4 (well, 5) factions of unknown strength, but it's going to be very interesting. Especially with the coined-vote incentive. How many lynch trains do you think will be this game? :)

Hopefully none, if I can help it. Lynch trains are unnecessary. If people are going to vote just to earn their faction a boxing they should vote for someone who is not a candidate for the lynch, preferably someone with no votes on them. Why do I say this? Because bandwagons make lynch analysis very hard, and I'm sure I'm not the only player who is going to be paying close attention to who legitimately defends/attacks who. By having people vote for a lynch candidate for no other reason than a boxing, lynch analysis gets bogged with things like "is he or she really just doing it for the coin, or because they're teammates with the runner-up and want to widen the gap?" I'd rather avoid that headache, personally. That and the fact that bandwagons really don't help anyone, except maybe the eliminators by giving them somewhere to hide, though that isn't too much of a concern yet.

7 hours ago, Arraenae said:

I see you're trying those fear tactics you talked about using the other day. A decent attempt from the looks of it, but since I expected it, I can't say I'm really swayed either way :P. On that note, I have a some comments of my own regarding this. First, if you haven't been in your doc yet, do so soon. Renegade has put a list of everyone's name at the top of the docs so it's pointless to avoid it if you're trying to keep your identity a secret from potentially Spiked teammates. Really, avoiding the doc is going to only make you look suspicious. If you have a legitimate reason to be unable to access the doc, please find a way to stop by to at least tell your team that much. Or even post in thread, without giving your team away, why you are unable to access the doc at this time.

Second, it is important that each faction is aware of their resources, completely. All four of our Houses are going to need to kill the Spiked to win, and it is essential that each House keeps its members accountable for their actions, that way if anything fishy happens (like a stray Coinshot kill or an unforeseen Soothing) someone will be able to figure out the cause, and thus bring us all a step closer to winning. If factions fail to do this and focus entirely on murdering their known enemies, the end game can easily be overtaken by the Spiked. Not a single House should want that, even if they lose. Better that one House succeeds than the servants of Ruin.

Third, be especially careful of lurkers and players whom are playing exclusively neutral. In conversion games that's generally a very good strategy for the beginning, as it allows them to remain unnoticed while they take advantage of all the information handed out to get off the best conversions possible, and quickly. On this note as well, be wary of any sudden shifts in behavior, or if a player in your faction ends up defending someone from another, either in-thread or in-doc.

Fourth, at the start of the Day 3 it is very likely that all four factions will be compromised. Obviously take note of any inconsistencies with your teammates before then, but at that point in time it's probably more wise to assume that someone among you is Corrupt. Better safe than sorry, right? At the end of the day you know your team better than you know anyone on another. That being said, do not let that concern drive wedges in your faction. If any village faction wants to win it's going to require teamwork. Eliminators thrive on chaos, and given that this is a faction game there will be plenty enough for the Spiked to take advantage of without inciting it on their own.

I know all of this probably seems obvious to a lot of you, but I'd rather things not go unsaid as it's very possible there is at least one player that hasn't thought of any of these things yet. Better that, in some ways, we are all on the same page. My best advice is to make sure you do not focus on one aspect of this game too much. If your primary concern is the faction side of things, you leave the Spiked open to posture themselves however they see fit. If you focus too much on finding the Spiked, it's very likely your faction will be torn apart from the inside out, or you'll find your faction left behind by others. Find a balance between the two and you'll be much better off for it.

7 hours ago, TheMightyLopen said:

Inquisitor - conversions roles are fun. I prolly won't be much help early in prodding people into discussion and I won't be able to talk all that much myself. Sorry! I'll mostly just pop in every now in then with some of my sagely wisdom, but don't expect too much. ;)

I don't remember if you posted how long you'll be preoccupied (I'm sure you did) and honestly can't be bothered right now to go find it, but if you or someone else could tell me how long we should expect you to be on the lower scale of activity I would appreciate it for my notes.

7 hours ago, The Only Joe said:

I'm not going to focus on the inquisitor. I'm going to focus on the players from rival houses who are also focusing on the house war. Because the Inquisitor and her converts are going to be doing the same, trying to instigate hostilities. I disagree with the people who think the inquisitor will wait to do her conversions. She needs info from the other factions as quickly as possible. Or control over the house she's currently in, I don't know which route she'll choose, but she'll convert fast.

Has anyone said anything about the Inquisitor waiting to convert? If so, I definitely missed this unless you're carrying it over from your doc discussion. Either way, I somewhat agree. While it makes sense strategically, the fact that we are aware of that gives the other option - of waiting - strategic sense, too. This is an elimination game. People get paranoid and kill each other all the time for terribly illogical reasons because of that paranoia, as often without the prodding of the eliminators as with. If the Inquisitor avoids the limelight and waits the game out long enough that one faction gains obvious superiority, they can begin to convert them one by one to give them the best chance / control of resources. My point in bringing this up is not to give the Inquistors ideas. It's to make sure that you don't focus on definites. If the Inquisitor see's that they can easily take advantage of it. Ultimately until we know who the Inquisitor is for sure and begin to see how the Spiked are influencing the game, allomantically or otherwise, I believe it is extremely unwise to say things like "she will convert fast."

3 hours ago, The Young Bard said:

I find the argument about the Inquisitor v. a Faction based bloodbath to be largely redundant unless someone actually finds something to point out an Inquisitor. If someone does find something like that, or if I spot something like that, then of course I'll vote for that person. In the meantime, I see no problem with going after other factions. That might sound bloodthirsty, but it's quite possible that the Inquisitor will get caught in the cross-fire along the way anyhow.

I don't know if you've looked as far back as MR10 but I know I brought this up in my doc and think it's worth mentioning to everyone. Joe basically covered it with his earlier post but in that game I was the equivalent of a Spiked from the beginning and a lot of players (particularly the Coinshot equivalents) were focusing almost entirely on the Faction aspect of that game, and guess what? They lost. Granted that was an elimination game with a faction flavor, while this more-or-less the complete opposite, but I think my point still stands that every player needs to be equally involved in murdering their rival house members and rooting out the Spiked.

Edited by Amanuensis

Hey factionmates, I'm still on vacation so I only have access to my phone. For some reason it can't install the docs app over my hotel's wifi :( Can someone reserve orange for me? Oh, and use the numbers and letters (after "document/" and before "/edit") in our link as a key for the following One Time Pad for a quick message from me for the doc: LLECHNKLDEYWYQSKTKYUJHUOIPHGLRP

Edit: Oh, and I can see the doc, just not edit it. Just to let you know 

Edited by Bugsy6912

This is a faction game. This is not like MR10 or even really MR12. This is most like MR7, in my opinion, and you can see what happened there when everyone focused on Discovery. The Spiked are just another faction in this game. Do what you want, but I'm treating them as just another House vying for control of Luthadel for now. 

Edited by Mailliw73

16 minutes ago, Mailliw73 said:

This is a faction game. This is not like MR10 or even really MR12. This is most like MR7, in my opinion, and you can see what happened there when everyone focused on Discovery. The Spiked are just another faction in this game. Do what you want, but I'm treating them as just another House vying for control of Luthadel for now. 

That was my first impression too. However, in this game, unlike MR7, the inqusitors actually have powers (and in fact, those powers are stronger than anyone else's) and they convert others. In MR7, the discovery faction would grow weaker as time progressed. In this game, they grow stronger as time progresses. Taking out the spiked faction should be our top priority. If other factions take collateral damage, huzzah!

56 minutes ago, Mailliw73 said:

33 minutes ago, Paranoid King said:

That was my first impression too. However, in this game, unlike MR7, the inqusitors actually have powers (and in fact, those powers are stronger than anyone else's) and they convert others. In MR7, the discovery faction would grow weaker as time progressed. In this game, they grow stronger as time progresses. Taking out the spiked faction should be our top priority. If other factions take collateral damage, huzzah!

I'm definitely leaning towards PK's side of this. That is a good point I didn't consider because I wasn't a part of MR7, let alone looked much into it. What I was going to argue is the following:

After reading the rules again I now realize that the Spiked don't have a non-allomantic kill, meaning they're going to have to depend on a Steel spike to reduce our numbers. So that means we should only expect a Spiked kill every other cycle, unless he manages to Spike a Coinshot with Steel. An Inquisitor Spiking a player might as well be a kill, though, only their name is unannounced and since they still live, it is considerably more dangerous for us all. The main reason why I don't want to consider the Spike as "just another House" is they're going to likely have a lot more information than the lead faction no matter what, which gives them a severe advantage, especially in the early game. We can't just treat them as any other faction, not if any of us want to win, unless blind luck ends up on our side.

One thing I want to mention. Given that Coinshots are a kill-every-other-cycle, there are likely more vigilantes than usual. If you're a Regular and steal a vial of Steel from a player, take note of it, but be careful about telling your team. While it's possible you may have found the Inquisitor, there's a larger chance they're just a village Coinshot. If the Inquisitor or a single Spiked player is in your doc, or someone eventually gets Spiked, you're telling the Inquisitor exactly who they he needs to Spike to get a kill every cycle. If I were an Inquisitor I know I would take care of the kills on my own until I can find someone with Steel already to maximize our team's effectiveness. We cannot let that happen, otherwise if a Steel kill happens every night, we might have to start purging that role. I'd really rather not do that.

That being said, I advise that no matter what, no Village Coinshots should use a kill on an odd numbered night. If an Inquisitor Spikes a Coinshot with Steel, I'm certain that he's going to make a kill every night. If he decides not to in order to maintain the allusion that no Coinshot has been turned than at least we keep him from dwindling our numbers faster. If he decides to use the kill anyway (assuming all Village Coinshots listen, which they should if they don't want to get purged unnecessarily) then we'll know for a fact that a Coinshot has been compromised. I also propose that on some even numbered nights we have the Coinshots promise not a single one will use a kill. If a kill happens anyway that should mean they are Spiked and based on who they killed, we might be able to figure out which one it was. Never mind just realized that's pointless, Inquisitor will kill anyway.

Another possible idea is that on N2 we should all agree to have our Coinshots kill the most inactive players in the game so far (barring real life reasoning). This would allow the collective to get an idea of how many Coinshots there are total, so the deaths can be accounted for more easily, while also giving players incentive to be active beyond earning more Boxings. If it turns out by N2 that there are no, or few, seriously inactive players, we can instead hold a vote to Coinshot lynch players that we agree are suspicious, as a pseudolynch, or just hold off on it entirely. I don't think we need to do this, as every faction with a Coinshot should be able to keep them accountable, but it's something worth considering.

Edited by Amanuensis

For the love of Harmony, please do NOT roleclaim to your faction if you are a Coin-shot! Please, please, please don't do this! Coinshots are the strongest role in this game, since they're the only ones who can vig kill multiple times, and they can do it every other turn. Normally, you'd expect Mistborn to be stronger, but since they can only get one vial of each metal per game, they can only kill once per game (Duralumin + Steel). Even if their faction gets lucky and steals a steel shipment, the Mistborn would need to get two that way in order to kill a second time. That's a lot of once per games. But, if you're Mistborn, ALSO please do not roleclaim to your faction, because if the Inquisitor spikes a Mistborn with Steel, that Mistborn gains the power to vig kill every night.

We cannot let Coinshots get spiked (or Mistborn spiked with Steel), since every coinshot to get spiked (or Mistborn spiked with Steel) is another half night kill the eliminators have. That'll get out of hand FAST, especially if each faction gets a coinshot and the Inquisitor manages to hit all four AND hit a Mistborn with Steel. That'd give the eliminators three night kills every night.

So, please, please, roleclaim responsibly! And by that, I mean, don't roleclaim. Discuss hypotheticals with your faction instead, like what each role should do if it happens to exist in your faction.

27 minutes ago, Nyali said:

For the love of Harmony, please do NOT roleclaim to your faction if you are a Coin-shot! Please, please, please don't do this! Coinshots are the strongest role in this game, since they're the only ones who can vig kill multiple times, and they can do it every other turn. Normally, you'd expect Mistborn to be stronger, but since they can only get one vial of each metal per game, they can only kill once per game (Duralumin + Steel). Even if their faction gets lucky and steals a steel shipment, the Mistborn would need to get two that way in order to kill a second time. That's a lot of once per games. But, if you're Mistborn, ALSO please do not roleclaim to your faction, because if the Inquisitor spikes a Mistborn with Steel, that Mistborn gains the power to vig kill every night.

We cannot let Coinshots get spiked (or Mistborn spiked with Steel), since every coinshot to get spiked (or Mistborn spiked with Steel) is another half night kill the eliminators have. That'll get out of hand FAST, especially if each faction gets a coinshot and the Inquisitor manages to hit all four AND hit a Mistborn with Steel. That'd give the eliminators three night kills every night.

So, please, please, roleclaim responsibly! And by that, I mean, don't roleclaim. Discuss hypotheticals with your faction instead, like what each role should do if it happens to exist in your faction.

Ah, that just made me realize another danger. If the Inquisitor manages to get multiple Coinshots Spiked. That's not ideal either. Yeah, I dunno if I inspired your post given they were 3 minutes apart or we just had very similar concerns at the same time, but thank you for bringing this up too. I don't know if I agree entirely with not roleclaiming, though. Some roles are just really only effective if you're team knows about them / can strategize around them. That and it's impossible to keep a teammate accountable of their actions if you don't know what actions they can take. I think our best bet at finding the Spiked, or at least minimizing their damage, is using the docs to discuss what each player must do for the interest of that faction's win condition, and if they end up making a decision on their own that goes against the faction's consensus, chances are they are Spiked and we can lynch them the next day. Otherwise they will skate in the background and do whatever they want without pressure. If that isn't incentive enough to keep the Spiked in line, then I don't know what is.

25 minutes ago, STINK said:

This is the daily warning that Ada is usually a threat to anyone rather than a help :ph34r:

Also I'm totally the Inquisitor. Jokes. Really. I dunno.

Me? A threat? I'm as harmless as a cucumber. Whatever that means.

I've already accepted the fact that I am utterly doomed this game. You don't need to rub salt in the wound. My team doesn't have a Lurcher so it's very likely I'll be killed N2, either by the Inquisitor or by a Coinshot from one of the three Houses I don't belong to. That's a big reason for why I'm suggesting plans that help control all of the Coinshots.

The real question is, why are you encouraging it?

Edited by Amanuensis

Fair points, Aman. I think the idea of only killing on even nights makes sense. And yes, I was writing that post when you posted, so I didn't see yours before doing so.

I dunno about the killing inactives thing though. That just tells people who to protect with Iron if their faction has a Lurcher.

17 minutes ago, Nyali said:

I dunno about the killing inactives thing though. That just tells people who to protect with Iron if their faction has a Lurcher.

True. Since my entire intent of that suggestion was so that we can see how many Coinshots we have in this game total, Lurcher's interfering to keep their faction ahead would defeat the purpose. Conclusion: I think it's better for Coinshots to just claim in their groups and be scrutinized by them closely. I would hope that other factions would out them the second they do something to strongly suggest that they are Spiked, but I would not be surprised if a faction attempted to use that knowledge to gain advantage over another. Definitely think restricting village Coinshots to even numbered nights is beneficial to all.

8 minutes ago, STINK said:

I'll always encourage the death of some people. I never forget :P

What are you not forgetting about me, here? :o

2 minutes ago, Mailliw73 said:

@Amanuensis You already know your team has no Lurchers? :P what happened to not role claiming?

I don't remember saying that teammates shouldn't claim their roles to each other :huh: in fact, I swear I just argued the opposite.

Edited by Amanuensis