Long Game 23: The Siege of Luthadel

Renegade

(Renegade my mist born character is just for RP purposes only, so you don't have to make me a mistborn) Parth is 5"10, he doesn't have any scars, except for the one on his leg. He always wears his mist born cloak and has a smooth voice. He is very clever, but is VERY prideful and he is not easy to manipulate, he sometimes follows their manipulations to do manipulations of his own. Parth Resnuren looked down on everyone, he was on top of Kredik Shaw. "How do you want me me to do this," he asked his latest employer. "Quickly and quietly," the employer said. Of course, Parth thought, they always want me to do it quietly for some reason. He jumped off of Kredik Shaw, dropped a coin and pushed on it to slow his descent. He was burning pewter, steel, bronze, copper, and tin. He snuck across the ground like a shadow, becoming apart of them and the mists. He broke through a window, snuck into the study, and stole the atium.

The mist crept across the sky in undulating wisps and curls, lavender against the scarlet night sky. It swallowed up the familiar buildings of Luthadel one by one: first Keep Venture, then Keep Tekiel, then Keep Lekal, then finally the walls of the building Ri was leaning against, Keep Elariel.

For the hundreth time, Ri tried to look inside the small gate she was supposed to enter through. She didn't see much, just a garden obscured by mist. She felt for the package she'd brought and sighed in relief when her fingers found coarse paper wrapped with twine. She had the package. Now she just needed to deliver it. As long as she was on time, there was absolutely no way to screw up this trip. No way at all.

Was she late? Ri resisted the urge to dig in her pockets for her pocketwatch to check the time. She hadn't dared to bring a metal pocketwatch with her, even if she should be safe from the Elariel allomancers. Unfortunately, that meant she had no idea if she was late. Ri peered into the garden again, but found nothing that could tell her the time.

Probably better to be early than late. The last thing House Tellé needed was to annoy House Elariel with a war looming on the horizon. Ri took a deep breath and opened the gate. It slid shut noiselessly behind her, trapping her inside Keep Elariel.

Get a grip, Ri told herself. Two years of this and you still act like it's your first time. You've done this millions of times before. Nothing's going to go wrong.

Ri raised her chin and strode towards the inside of Keep Elariel. She found the meeting point -- inside a small alcove below the third window -- and stood there with the package. Nobody was inside, so she stared out at the mist. It curled and undulated outside of the alcove, almost like a living thing.

"Greetings, Rima Tellé," a voice said.

Ri turned and saw a Terrisman and an Obligator right outside the alcove.

"Here's the mistcloak," Ri said. She untied the twine, unwrapped the paper, and unfolded the mistcloak. Tassels of various shades of grey fluttered free of their bindings, almost like the mist itself. Ri couldn't see the fine embroidery on the mantle, but she could feel the delicate patterns with her fingers.

The Terrisman took the mistcloak and handed Ri a bag of boxings. "500 boxings for the premium package, as you requested."

Ri looked at the Obligator, who nodded from outside the alcove, close enough to see the bag of coins but far enough to be unable to hear the conversation. "This transaction is witnessed," the Obligator said.

The Terrisman leaned forwards. "What information do you have for my lady?"

Ri smiled. The pay would be extra good tonight. "You're not going to believe this. Valette Renoux -- her name is supposedly Vin -- is a Mistborn, and she's going to assassinate the Lord Ruler. She's part of some coup that wants to take over the Final Empire, using the skaa as soldiers. And you know who's in charge of this? Elend Venture. Strange, right? He seems like a fool now, but immediately after the Lord Ruler dies, he's going to give a speech that puts him in charge of the entire city. House Elariel will be completely overrun by skaa, so you have to get out now or die."

"It's too late for us, Lady Rima," the Terrisman said. "The skaa are already inside the gates."

Ri turned and froze. A hoard of screaming skaa charged towards her with torches, swords, pitchforks, staffs, and other weapons. They were everywhere, hundreds upon hundreds of the creatures blocking the only way out.

Lord Ruler, I was too late, she thought.

The Obligator died first, impaled by a sword to the chest. Then the Terrisman fell to the ground, where he was beaten by two skaa with dueling canes. Ri tried to back away, but she was trapped in the alcove. A sword swung towards her neck.

Ri woke up in her bed, gasping and sweating. Lord Ruler, that... that was her third nightmare this week. The fourteenth this month. She shouldn't be worrying about, what, the skaa coming after her? House Tellé didn't own many skaa, because they were too expensive and too unskilled for Tellé's standards. Besides, the skaa had been pacified by Elend Venture's ridiculous parliamentary council or whatever it was.

"You okay, Ri?" Laura, Ri's younger sister, asked from the bed across the room. "I heard you shouting."

"I'm fine," Ri said. She threw aside her blankets and sat up. She'd been completely blindsided by the coup, and it was stupid to think that she could have prevented it, but she hadn't heard a word of it until the Lord Ruler had died. She'd heard the same "Eleventh Metal" rumors as everybody else, and it was her failing as an informant that she hadn't investigated them further. Now the Venture boy was in charge, and House Tellé's biggest client, House Elariel, was gone.

The room felt suffocatingly small, far too much like the alcove in her nightmare. Ri stood up. "I'm taking a walk," she said. "You should try to sleep, Laura."

"Okay," Laura said. "Goodnight."

Ri glanced at her baby sister sleeping in the light of the mist. Laura looked so small and fragile, far too young to have lived through a House War and rebellion. "Goodnight. Love you," she said. Then she left the room to walk outside.

Sign-ups are now over!  I should be able to give everyone their role PMs within the next hour, and the game will officially begin then.  Please note that you will not be able to access your faction docs until the Night 0 thread is up.

Edited by Renegade

Night 0: Ashen Skies

I, Sazed, Keeper of Terris, write these words on the steel walls of my cell.  Things are not as they should be.  The world itself seems to have shifted, almost unnoticeably, but with catastrophic consequences.  I think it is best to begin this tale at the night when the siege began, where it ought to.  Perhaps, by reading these accounts, future generations can discover where we went wrong.  I hope, I pray to some Forgotten God, that the world can still be saved.  For, already, many friends have died, and I fear that I will soon join them.

The red, ashen sun set upon Luthadel.  Far below it, atop the wall of Luthadel, stood a small group of soldiers, peering off into the mists at the army that laid beyond it.

“It’s funny,” one of the soldiers said, stroking his scraggly beard.  “Over a year after the Lord Ruler’s death, and things still haven’t seem to have changed much.”

“Things haven’t changed?” asked another man, cocking his head.  “The world’s practically been turned upside down.  We’re in control of the empire now, and--”

“Are we really?” the bearded man said.  “Look out into the mists.  Three armies sit outside our own walls, ready to pounce and take Elend’s throne.  One of them is his own father’s.  So tell me, do you really think that we’re in control of this empire?”

“I suppose not.”

“We are still in the same place in this world.  The world still spins, the ash still falls, the mists still swirl in the nights.”

“The Lord Ruler wasn’t god, like the stories said.  He couldn’t control those things.  The only reason he survived as long as he did was because of some sort of Allomancy.  He wasn’t god.”

“True,” the bearded man sighed, glancing out of the corner of his eye at a man running frantically towards the soldiers.  “But this just proves my point.  All we’ve done is killed a man, not a god.  We’re not invincible.”

“Sir!” the man running towards the soldiers shouted.

Captain Demoux shouldered his way to the front of the group, and inclined his head towards the man.  “Ah, Lieutenant Goradel.  What news do you have from Haverfrex?”

Goradel nodded towards Demoux.  “Sir, the city has been taken over by Ashweather Cett.  I’m afraid they will be of no assistance to us.”

“And the surrounding districts?”

“Well, they have a sizeable number of troops, but…”

“Yes?”

Goradel sighed.  “They don’t see supporting Elend as any of their concern.  As we’ve feared, few outside of Luthadel actually consider themselves subjects of our new empire.”

Demoux put a hand to his face, slowly breathing out.  “Okay…”

“And that’s not the worst news.”  Goradel paused, glancing cautiously at the other men on the wall.  “Some of our own men have defected to Ferson Penrod’s side.”

“Penrod?” Demoux asked.  “Didn’t he recently try to get the Assembly to overthrow Elend?”

“And he failed,” Goradel nodded.  “But apparently he’s decided that if he can’t take the crown by votes, he’ll take it by force.  He’s managed to get himself a sizeable mob, comprised of defectors from our own soldiers and the other armies.”

“So that’s now four enemies we’re dealing with,” Demoux said, rubbing his forehead as Goradel slowly nodded.  “By the Survivor, we had better come up with a plan to survive this siege.”

Goradel nodded wistfully, looking off over the wall at the ash and mist swirling about.  “I’m not sure that we can.  But we’ll try.”

- - - - -

Welcome, everyone!  The only actions available tonight are faction koloss/kandra purchases, vial distribution, and Inquisitor spiking.  Remember: if you have multiple metals available, you must respond to the PM I gave you to choose which vial to receive, or you will not receive any.  If you did not receive a PM from me yet, please tell me.

This turn will end in exactly 24 hours from now, and your faction docs are now open. Good luck!

Thanata closed the double door of the ballroom gently behind her, then turned and went up to Father's office. 

He glanced up as she entered. "Did you get it?"

Thanata braced herself, fingering a smooth stone tucked into a pocket in her mistcloak. Still, she reminded herself. Still as stone. "No, Father."

He raised an eyebrow. "Explain why I shouldn't have you lashed, then."

"I ran into something on the way that I deemed more important."

"More important," he said flatly. 

"Yes. A dead body."

He scoffed, but didn't speak, so she went on to tell him what she'd found. 

"Let me get this straight," he said slowly. "You found a dead Allomancer in an alleyway. Killed by an Inquisitor."

"Yes, sir."

"And...? What use is this?"

"The knowledge that there is an Inquisitor in town?" she offered. "That's not something to be ignorant about."

He frowned. "I suppose. Still..." Thanata remained still as he looked at her, considering whether to lash her or not. She hadn't done what he'd asked. She had been whipped for less.

Finally, he shook his head. "No need to weaken my Mistborn if there's an Inquisitor on the loose. Find out all you can about them tomorrow night, then. Ask around if any other Allomancers have gone missing."

She nodded. 

"And finish what I asked you to do tonight, too," he said sternly.

"All in the same night?" Thanata said in surprise, then caught herself. "Yes, Father."

"You have appointments to keep tomorrow, I understand," he said. "I expect you to be awake for them."

"Of course," Thanata said. She knew a dismissal when she heard one. And even with pewter, she did need some sleep. Without another word, she went out and up to her room, where she carefully stored away her mistcloak after taking the stone out of the pocket and putting it on her nightstand. 

She lay in bed awake, remembering the dead man in the alleyway and the look of horror on his face. He'd been a Smoker, she thought, judging by the color of the flakes of metal in the vials she'd found. Nothing that could help him against an Inquisitor. To be fair, she wasn't sure anything could.

She closed her eyes, but his face stared back at her from beneath her eyelids, soon joined by other faces. Other corpses, some of her own making. She couldn't bear seeing that for long. 

After a moment, she opened her eyes and reached for the stone by her side, staring at it in the darkness with tin-enhanced eyes. She focused completely on the cold, hard blackstone. It was rounded now, from constant rubbing, but it wasn't perfectly shaped. She ran her fingers over its contours, imagining herself going into the stone, free from pain and sorrow and grief and trouble. Stone. 

Eventually, she likely fell asleep. She couldn't be sure: stones couldn't tell the difference between sleeping and waking. But she was still for a time, and that was enough. 

Sandhya closed the door to the dining room behind her and collapsed against the wall beside it for a moment in relief. She had had to ask to be excused early to get away from this particular young lordling. She'd pled a headache.

She rubbed her temples. She wasn't entirely sure she didn't have a headache, after listening to him drawl on and on and on in that nasal voice. 

She sighed and stood again to go back to her room. After changing out of her rather uncomfortable dress into a more practical gown that was somewhat inky from when she occasionally wrote on herself rather than the paper, she gathered up her writing materials and headed down to the empty ballroom. 

She twirled a couple of times as she walked from the entrance of the ballroom to the dais. Coming to the ballroom meant the end of her duties and the beginning of a night with just her calligraphy, and eventually Thanata. She grinned, looking down at her nearly finished work. Thanata would love it, she knew. It was just like her. 

She smiled, although a little sadly. The style did fit Thanata: cold, hard, dark. Emotionless. 

She sat and uncapped her blackest ink. Only a few more letters to outline, and she'd be done. She stared down the hall for a moment, imagining Thanata flying through the mists, stalking the Inquisitor and courageously taking him down... Then she shook herself and went to work. 

Thanata crept through deep darkness, hoping she'd made the right decision. Hoping that she was going the right way.

Hoping the Inquisitor wasn't standing behind her, ready to murder her...

Wanted to post this before the night started, but didn't finish it in time. Oops. Actually game-relevant thoughts will be coming later. :D So glad this game started! 

Question-answering time!

• You may name your faction's kandra, as long as the name is kandra-esque and does not reveal any game-pertinent information.
  • It will be noted in the write-up whether someone was Spiked.
  • You may not order koloss to attack your own faction.
  • You will learn a kandra's name if it is stolen with Flared zinc.
  • You may not use koloss or kandra the same Night turn that they are bought.

Quicklinks:

>  Signups
>  Night 0

Players:

Player List

1. Jonly (The Only Joe)
  2. Locke (OrlokTsubodai)
  3. Sandhya (Elbereth)
  4. Silk (Amanuensis)
  5. Rima (Mailliw73)
  6. Olvar (Alvron)
  7. Ranel (The Young Bard)
  8. Guilty (Master Elodin)
  9. Mottel Musgreave (Mckeedee123)
  10. Ri (Arraenae)
  11. Straw (Straw)
  12. Kelron (cloudjumper)
  13. Kipper (Kipper)
  14. Hadrian Penrod (Araris Valerian)
  15. Zas (zas678)
  16. Shara (Nyali)
  17. Vela (Burnt Spaghetti)
  18. Jaena (jaimeleecee)
  19. Dominic (dowanx)
  20. Cenn Celverclogs Stimbers (TheSilverDragon)
  21. Sart Tram (Sart)
  22. Ganon (TheMightyLopen)
  23. -- (STINK)
  24. Louik (Bugsy6912)
  25. Shady (Paranoid King)
  26. Exisa Erikell (phattemer)
  27. Parth Resnuren (Conquestor)

Edited by The Young Bard
Screwed up quicklinks

26 minutes ago, cloudjumper said:

Hello Aman! So nice to see you! Any thoughts or plans?

Edit: I know it's a bit early, but I want to get some discussion going. The sooner the better.

Well, my first thought is it's a night turn, so votes don't count :P I've got plans, but they're strictly based in my faction, for now.

On the subject of discussion though, I have a slight concern that people will be too focused on their faction docs. I think that it'll be less important on night turns but in the day I'll do what I can to encourage discussion as a collective.

Edited by Amanuensis

On 6/27/2016 at 8:08 PM, Amanuensis said:

Well, my first thought is it's a night turn, so votes don't count :P I've got plans, but they're strictly based in my faction, for now.

On the subject of discussion though, I have a slight concern that people will be too focused on their faction docs, compared. I think that it'll be less important on night turns but in the day I'll do what I can to encourage discussion as a collective.

Oh. It's a night turn. I didn't notice that, so thanks!

• The boxing reward for posting (not voting) counts if a player votes on a Day turn or the preceding Night turn.

Also, since I didn't cover this much, here's a bit of an elaboration on the nightly faction actions:

Faction actions (purchasing or using koloss/kandra) are submitted at the top of your faction's document, under where it says "Night [#] Actions".  Whatever is placed last there will be accepted, as long as there is some sort of agreement about it (everyone doesn't have to be in consensus, but one player can't just come in at the last moment and change the action orders); if this occurs, it'll just revert to whatever it was before.

Man, this game is going to be great. It's going to be complicated, with 4 (well, 5) factions of unknown strength, but it's going to be very interesting. Especially with the coined-vote incentive. How many lynch trains do you think will be this game? :)

Wanna buy some gen-u-ine allomantic metals? Only 5 boxings each, and that's cutting me own throat! 'fraid I can't provide any contact info, for...personal reasons, but once you try it, I assure you that you won't want to go to any other dealerships for a few days. In fact, you won't want to go anywhere at all, that's how pure these metals are.

Is it possible to give other players metals or boxings? (inside or outside of my faction?) Is it possible to set up a trade with another player to trade or sell metals? (For example, perhaps I know that Metacognition is a seeker, and Gamma Fiend, in my faction, is a mistborn. Would it be possible to buy a vial of metal from Meta, and then give it to Gamma? Could I give one of my own metals to Gamma?)

1 minute ago, Paranoid King said:

Is it possible to give other players metals or boxings? (inside or outside of my faction?) Is it possible to set up a trade with another player to trade or sell metals? (For example, perhaps I know that Metacognition is a seeker, and Gamma Fiend, in my faction, is a mistborn. Would it be possible to buy a vial of metal from Meta, and then give it to Gamma? Could I give one of my own metals to Gamma?)

You can't trade metals or boxings amongst players or factions. (The only exception to this is the one vial that a non-allomancer may steal, since they may give that to whomever they wish.)