Long Game 23: The Siege of Luthadel

Renegade

Day 5: Ruined Plans

On one night in particular, the assassinations amongst the different factions became so severe that it seemed as if the sky were raining coins.  Though, as we would later find out, this was perhaps advantageous to us.

The ash fell furiously in the night, and Ranel wasn’t happy about it.  He should’ve been off, fighting in the grand siege.  But no, he was a Soother, so he had to stay at the rear of the advancing force of men and koloss, attempting to Soothe away their fear and pain.  There was no art in what he did.  No pride.

Once, he would have been ashamed to have resolved himself to take up this position, as a mere morale-booster of his troops.  He could be so much more, and Allomancy had little to do with it.  He had always been taught that Allomancy did not make a man, no matter its brute power.  Allomancy was weak in comparison to the might of the human mind.

But it seemed that nobody cared for sharp minds anymore.

Several soldiers to the left of his position suddenly fell to the ground, struck by a volley of arrows.  Rolling his eyes, Ranel focused his Soothing on those soldiers, taking away their feelings of pain, of terror.  The men still reeled from the attack, but soon stood up, defiance in their eyes.

“Fall back!” a man on the right flank shouted as a horde of koloss coming from the direction of Luthadel charged in towards the main attacking force.  Ranel extended his Soothing towards those koloss, doing little to stop them, but causing a few of them to slow down or briefly glance around, confused.

As the arrows continued to rain down, one particularly large arrow sailed through the air at an incredibly steep angle, aimed directly at Ranel’s heart.  Ranel could only hear a faint whistling noise as a metal-tipped arrow penetrated the ash and mist and struck Ranel in the heart.

- - - - -

Ri had no Allomantic powers to call her own, and was perfectly fine with that.  In fact, it gave her quite the edge as an informant.  She could intercept information or supplies without any Seekers having so much as the slightest clue that anything was happening.  She supposed that perhaps being a Tineye could help from time to time, but she felt more satisfaction in doing things herself, without the assistance of any mystical, ancient abilities.

This evening, she would be meeting with several of the nobles around Luthadel, hoping to spread some false hope about the ongoing siege, and perhaps get a few more supporters of her faction on the inside.  And, of course, pick up a few tidbits of information and some boxings along the way.

Ri stood outside the grand Keep Erikeller, waiting for one of the high-ranking noble ladies of House Erikeller to arrive.  Well, technically, she wasn’t a member of House Erikeller, but that was a technicality that even most of her fellow House members weren’t aware of.

A short noblewoman approached the Keep, and Ri stepped out to greet her.  “Ah, Lady Fedra Erikeller!  How go things on this fine night?”

“Lady Rivalia!” Fedra said, invoking one of Ri’s many aliases.  “I love your gown!  How do you manage to keep it so pristine on such an ashen night?”

“Our house has some of the finest silks imported from the Northern Dominance,” Ri said, lifting the hem of her dress.  “We’ve managed to develop several promising cloths that are able to more easily repel the ash.”

“Is that so?  Well, I must say that I am most impressed.  Do remind me to--”

A coin struck the back of Lady Fedra’s neck, and she crumpled to the ground.  Someone cursed from beyond, and extended their hand out, sending a second coin straight into Ri’s chest.

- - - - -

The time has come, young apprentice, Ruin voiced in the Inquisitor’s ear.  Your final target is almost within sight.

The Inquisitor sniffed.  “And then I will die?”

Unfortunately, Ruin said in his ear.  It is a shame, but you will have been a… worthy sacrifice.  You must realize that all must eventually wither and die for me to have my way, of course.

“Of… course.”

Well, you have served me well.  You have already provided me four more unwilling recruits, with a fifth on their way.  Soon, destruction shall reign, and Ruin shall have its way.  They will stand no chance.

“As you say.”

Shush, Ruin said, though his voice did not sound aggravated.  Talk less.  Your target is close.  I can feel them.

The Inquisitor grunted, and a coin struck him, glancing along the side of his face.  The Inquisitor roared, a line of red appearing on his cheek.

“Dominic?” the attacker questioned.  “So it is you who’s been causing all this trouble.  Just as I suspected.”

Kill them! Ruin shouted, and Dominic obliged, throwing out a handful of coins and Pushing on them with all of his strength at the hooded attacker.  The attacker responded by Pushing a coin of their own against the wall of a nearby hovel, altering their trajectory and soaring past the Inquisitor’s coins.  The Inquisitor Pushed on the coin that the figure just used, causing the figure to accidentally Push themselves towards the Inquisitor.  The Inquisitor immediately Pushed a fistful of coins into the ground, slamming into the attacker in midair, and punching them across the face.

The attacker fell towards the ground, but not before taking a coin in each hand, and Pushing on each with as much Allomantic strength they had.  One coin struck the ground, slowing their descent, while the other soared upwards, directly into the Inquisitor’s stomach.  The Inquisitor’s eyes widened as he tumbled out of the air and crashed through the roof of a building below.

Dominic shivered in the demolished room, blood running down his face.  “I… I’ve failed you, Ruin.”

You don’t say, Ruin said.

“I had… the honor to be your obedient servant.”

Shut up, you failed me.  You’re nothing to me now.  You've Ruined this plan.

- - - - -

Ranel (The Young Bard) was coinshot!  He was an unspiked Soother.

Ri (Arraenae) was coinshot!  She was an unspiked non-Allomancer.

Dominic (dowanx) was coinshot!  He was the Inquisitor, with a Steel Spike remaining!

Day 5 begins now and will end in 46 hours and 48 minutes.  Good luck!

Finally! Took long enough for us to get a Spiked, and the inquisitor! With STEEL left! :D Maybe we can turn this around into a victory for Ce.... errr... everyone. Right. Everyone.

Quick links:

Player list:

1. Jonly (The Only Joe)
2. Locke (OrlokTsubodai) Penrod Non Allomancer (via Lynch)
3. Sandhya (Elbereth)
4. Silk (Amanuensis) Venture Rioter (via Lynch)
5. Rima (Mailliw73)
6. Olvar (Alvron)
7. Ranel (The Young Bard) Soother (via Coinshot)
8. Guilty (Master Elodin)
9. MottelMusgreave (Mckeedee123)
10. Ri (Arraenae) Non Allomancer (via Coinshot)
11. Straw (Straw)
12. Kelron (cloudjumper)
13. Kipper (Kipper)  Rioter (via coinshot)
14. Hadrian Penrod (Araris Valerian)
15. Zas (zas678)
16. Shara (Nyali)
17. Vela (Burnt Spaghetti) Cett Non Allomancer (via lynch)
18. Jaena (jaimeleecee) Non Allomancer   (via coinshot)
19. Dominic (dowanx) Inquisitor (via coinshot)
20. CennCelverclogs Stimbers (TheSilverDragon)
21. Sart Tram (Sart)
22. Ganon (TheMightyLopen) Seeker (via coinshot)
23. Stink (STINK) Non Allomancer (via Koloss)
24. Louik (Bugsy6912)
25. Skydall (Paranoid King) Penrod Thug (via lynch)
26. ExisaErikell (phattemer)
27. Parth Resnuren (Conquestor)

Edited by Nyali

Sart
So, Venture had for a while been discussing an alliance with the Spiked (yes, yes, house of lies and murder, I know). Last night, that paid off. The anonymous Spiked color essentially said “Kill so-and-so and we have a deal”. (I’m not including that person’s name for now because I can’t decide whether it would be better put out there or not, but it’s irrelevant to the point so I don’t see a need for the moment.) I’m the Coinshot in our faction, but rather fortunately I was observing last night for my internship and didn’t get on my doc or the Shard barely at all today, so I wasn’t able to change my order for Dow (it was essentially a placeholder for until we decided the real target for the night). 

So, now Bard and Rae are dead and village (:( my RP partner...), and Sart and I are the only ones in our faction. And since the Spiked posted for an alliance, there must be a Spiked in our faction. I know that I’m not Spiked, so Sart has to be. I presume that I was the Spike target for tonight, but I killed Dow before he could Spike me. Oops. :P

Obviously, Venture can’t really win now, not with soon-to-be one person left. :( So for the remainder of the game I’ll just be focusing on finding the Spiked and killing them in revenge for the fall of Venture. (Assuming no one kills me for being an enemy coinshot. >>)

Edited by Elbereth

3 minutes ago, Mailliw73 said:

El, just send your Koloss to Cett and let them burn. :)

We'll see. 

1 minute ago, cloudjumper said:

I don't think that would encourage them to put their faction list up...

My faction list already is up. The currently alive members of Venture: Me and Sart. And Sart is Spiked. I am alone... 

Edited by Elbereth

2 minutes ago, Elbereth said:

We'll see. 

My faction list already is up. The currently alive members of Venture: Me and Sart. And Sart is Spiked. I am alone... 

I meant Cett's faction list.

Edit: Sart

Edited by cloudjumper

Tram was tired. He had narrowly avoided getting Spiked last night, and now the other Houses wanted to kill him. He wanted to scream. Honestly, he probably could scream. He doubted that would damage his reputation at this point. He had killed the Inquisitor, and yet everyone was set on killing him. He saw the reason why of course. Sandyha (Elbereth), was claiming his role in the night's affairs. It was a foolish gesture. A simple examination of Tram's body would prove that he wasn't Spiked. With no one else to scapegoat, Sandyha would be the next logical target for the lynch. He supposed she might try to ally with another House to get out of it. That would be a risky proposition for anyone, but the Nobles might be desperate enough to do it. The Spiked couldn't be trusted. He was getting very annoyed by all of it. His house had been nearly exterminated. He was the only true Venture left.

He shot a coin angrily into the sky. With the help of her allies, Sandyha would have little trouble lynching him. If he hadn't shot Dominic, he wouldn't be in this situation. He would be allies with the Spiked, instead of being hunted. He didn't want that fate though. He didn't want to be controlled. He wanted to be feared, true, but he didn't want to be controlled either. It would just be pity from an angry god. He would not accept that.

His only regret was shooting Kipper. If he had listened to his gut instinct, his House would not be in this mess. There was an idea. He had a record of that, didn't he? He searched through the various ledgers. There!

Tram began flicking his fingers, trying to spark an idea. His eyes wandered around the room Eventually they settled on Dominic (dowanx), the weapons merchant. Pretending to be a merchant seemed like an easy place for the Inquisitor to hide. More importantly, he jumped onto the bandwagon of Shady (Paranoid King). While Tram couldn’t fault him for doing that, it was a tad bit suspicious. He had also made a vote on Zas, though that was apparently in jest. Were they teammates? Tram didn’t know. However, he did know the arms dealer was being too quiet. Although parties (and 4-day weekends) were fun, this was just a facade for a deadly conflict. Tram wanted more. He disliked the quiet nobles, scheming in their factions. It was too easy for a Spiked to hide that way. This was a war, after all. There could be no sitting on the sidelines.

He had voted on the Inquisitor day 2. He supposed this could be a distancing tactic, but with the volatility of the lynches, why would he have risked something so blatant. There also could be the assumption that he was Spiked after that point. However, the Inquisitor was going after him with his Steel spike. The Inquisitor was prepared to die to give him that power. The only reason for that would be if the Inquisitor knew he was a Coinshot. The Spiked wanted a kill every cycle. Thus, someone from his House had to have been already Spiked for them to know that information. There were only two members in his faction right now. Since he was one of them, and was going to get converted, the other must be Spiked. It all pointed back to Elbereth. He just hoped the other Houses would listen to him.

I'm not sure who to trust at this point, but Sart has a better point and Elbereth jumped on the fact that Dominic was killed by a coinshot way too quickly. Elbereth it would be very nice if you told us who the other spikes are or at least how many in each faction.

I think I'm going to vote on Elbereth as well, assuming Sart can provide a link to the post he(?) made. Don't want any fabricated evidence :P

Oh, and why did Con's pose warrant a downvote? I personally don't see anything that bad about it. I mean, I suppose it could be that he was soliciting information from an eliminator regarding their teammates, but I took that more as a joke than an actual request for information

6 hours ago, Sart said:

Tram was tired. He had narrowly avoided getting Spiked last night, and now the other Houses wanted to kill him. He wanted to scream. Honestly, he probably could scream. He doubted that would damage his reputation at this point. He had killed the Inquisitor, and yet everyone was set on killing him. He saw the reason why of course. Sandyha (Elbereth), was claiming his role in the night's affairs. It was a foolish gesture. A simple examination of Tram's body would prove that he wasn't Spiked. With no one else to scapegoat, Sandyha would be the next logical target for the lynch. He supposed she might try to ally with another House to get out of it. That would be a risky proposition for anyone, but the Nobles might be desperate enough to do it. The Spiked couldn't be trusted. He was getting very annoyed by all of it. His house had been nearly exterminated. He was the only true Venture left.

He shot a coin angrily into the sky. With the help of her allies, Sandyha would have little trouble lynching him. If he hadn't shot Dominic, he wouldn't be in this situation. He would be allies with the Spiked, instead of being hunted. He didn't want that fate though. He didn't want to be controlled. He wanted to be feared, true, but he didn't want to be controlled either. It would just be pity from an angry god. He would not accept that.

His only regret was shooting Kipper. If he had listened to his gut instinct, his House would not be in this mess. There was an idea. He had a record of that, didn't he? He searched through the various ledgers. There!

He had voted on the Inquisitor day 2. He supposed this could be a distancing tactic, but with the volatility of the lynches, why would he have risked something so blatant. There also could be the assumption that he was Spiked after that point. However, the Inquisitor was going after him with his Steel spike. The Inquisitor was prepared to die to give him that power. The only reason for that would be if the Inquisitor knew he was a Coinshot. The Spiked wanted a kill every cycle. Thus, someone from his House had to have been already Spiked for them to know that information. There were only two members in his faction right now. Since he was one of them, and was going to get converted, the other must be Spiked. It all pointed back to Elbereth. He just hoped the other Houses would listen to him.

Ooh. No outed eliminator this game. That's different. Suppose it's worth it to lynch a village Coinshot who you can't convert or control anymore, though. 

Regarding voting on Dow - Same thing I was just saying about Meta over in MR15. Sure, the lynch this game is volatile (although it's not that much worses than usual), but enough to lynch a basically inactive player with one vote on him? Uh. No. I don't buy that. The entire thing about this game is that the lynch is completely focused around active players who could be dangerous just because they're in another faction. Dow does not qualify. 

And shame on you, trying to take responsibility for my kills. My kill role. :angry:

4 hours ago, Conquestor said:

I'm not sure who to trust at this point, but Sart has a better point and Elbereth jumped on the fact that Dominic was killed by a coinshot way too quickly. Elbereth it would be very nice if you told us who the other spikes are or at least how many in each faction.

Um. I jumped on the point that he was killed by a Coinshot because I'm the Coinshot that killed him? Don't really see how that's a valid point.  

11 hours ago, The Only Joe said:

Sart. exhautsed from work, i'll make a longer post before rollover, but I endorse Elbereth's message. She'd be gleefully revealing herself if Sart accused her of being an eliminator, and Sart's defense doesn't hold up.

Actually, from what I've seen of Elb, I don't think she'd reveal like that. There have been revealed eliminators in pretty much every recent game, and she seems like the sort of person who'd want to shake up that trend. Besides, if she claimed this cycle we'd kill her regardless. This way, she can get an extra kill and reveal next cycle.

Uh... yeah, I would. I mean, there have been a lot of outed eliminators in recent games, but that's at least partly because it's fun. Maybe if I'd been a revealed eliminator before, I wouldn't do it, just to do things differently, but my first time? I will definitely be revealing when I get the chance. 

Other note  - Today I have a lot going on (working with horses and then practice with a chamber music ensemble and then either contradancing or observing for my internship all night... It's going to be a long day.), so I can't promise to be on again before turnover. Apologies.

1 hour ago, Elbereth said:

Uh... yeah, I would. I mean, there have been a lot of outed eliminators in recent games, but that's at least partly because it's fun. Maybe if I'd been a revealed eliminator before, I wouldn't do it, just to do things differently, but my first time? I will definitely be revealing when I get the chance. 

Ok, apparently I had a bad read on you. Sorry about that. Regardless, this cycle would be a bad time to reveal anyways, since you'd be lynched pretty quickly. People wouldn't want a spiked controlling literally half of venture's assets, and lynching said spiked would place a soft-cleared coinshot in control of an entire faction of Kollos. If you get said coinshot killed this cycle, you can reveal next cycle and go out in a blaze of glory, sending Koloss everywhere or using your army to threaten any house that pushes for your lynch. That would be much more fun than revealing now and getting lynched or coinshot killed next cycle.

That said, my argument could now apply to either one of the suspects, and Elb's usually honest playstyle has more or less convinced me of Sart's guilt

Edited by Bugsy6912

On 7/15/2016 at 10:36 AM, Mailliw73 said:

Congratulations. So whoever told your doc that is Spiked. 

Oh good, thanks for confirming Dow and Elodin. They were marked as likely, but not certain. Dow had voted for Orlok and PK, so he wasn't Penrod, and Sart voted for him at one point, so I didn't think he was Venture, though that could have been a ruse. Elodin voted or PK too, so not Penrod, and he voted for Aman, so not Venture. That put them both in Lekal. For the rest:

• Maill claimed Lekal.
  • Maill claimed McKeedee was in Lekal by asking him to vote for Burnt
  • Maill claimed Joe was in Lekal.
  • Stink died to Koloss and our Kandra reported that Lekal only had 2 Koloss while Venture had 4, so that almost certanily meant Venture hit Lekal and killed Stink, putting Stink in Lekal.

And our notes guessed you were the faction with 6 from the start, because at the end of Night 1, our Kandra reported Lekal as having 5 Koloss and the other two factions as having 6 Koloss. Also, our notes didn't put anyone else in Lekal. I'm assuming we're right on that?

So, yeah, we totally needed a Spiked to tell us what you yourself posted in this thread :rolleyes:

Hmm, Elb or Sart.... Sart did vote for Dow earlier, but random poke votes early on against eliminators are a pretty solid eliminator tactic so that if the eliminator in question gets killed, they can go "See? I'm totally village, I voted for him!" Dow was certainly not ever at risk of being lynched there. To be clear, I don't think poke voting on an eliminator early on means anything one way or another - it could have been random luck/insight too. But, Sart didn't exactly make a case for Dow being an eliminator, just poke voted and kept it there when Aman claimed Orlok was an elim. Of course, I suppose House Venture all knew that Orlok wasn't an eliminator, but Sart certainly didn't help Aman stay out of the lynch, whereas it looks like Elbereth tried to help save him - she was voting for Orlok from before the claim. I think. I'm not going back over old posts, I'm looking at my vote tally notes.

I dunno. Maybe it's the posting only in RP thing, which while cool, makes it hard for me to read Sart's posts, but Elbereth sounds far more legit to me. So, [ Sart ], at least for now.

Sorry for not posting for the last day or so - something came up at work, and then it was baby wrangling all night and falling asleep way before I meant to, then baby wrangling all morning X.x Infant Surgebinders are a handful, especially since she's figured out how to stand up (and fall down if not watched/supported/caught).

Edited by Nyali