Heightened Tineye

Oudeis

How does the Third Heightening compare to allomantic tin? What, if any, overlap is there in the powers? Would a tineye have been able to notice the subtly different colors of the trap door in Mercystar's palace? Is there any real benefit to being a tineye at the Third Heightening? Obviously it's an improvement over just the Third Heightening, since you could also see things farther away, but does tin already give you the ability to distinguish shades the way BioChroma does? One possible advantage; while a tineye might be able to tell that the two reds in front of him aren't identical, he might not automatically know which is the "pure" hue the way an Awakener could.

Thoughts?

I believe we reached consensus that tin improves quantity of the information while Heightenings improve quality of it. So no matter the Heightening, you won't hear those whispers Tineye would, but Tineye is no match for Awakener when it comes to telling hues and tones apart.

There probably is a small overlap as both of the abilities have to do with improving senses, but a very small one. A Tineye at the Third Heightening would probably have almost perfect senses. Why almost? Because you'd also need to be a Windwhisperer to have all the improvements.

I always saw the Heightenings as a "small scale" Soul's expansion much more than improving sense I think it may be more like tiny glipse of Spiritual feeling about what your senses see/hear/smell/taste .... Like a few psychometrics.

Of course this may be really wrong.

Yes... It is sort of "psychometric" I feel... But that is definitely qualitative information. Quite probably it is related to an object's identity, which is spiritual in nature. So a tineye with the third heightening would be able to have ultra-sharp senses that pick up anything, and the ability to understand what they are seeing to an extremely high degree of subtlety. The combination would probably serve to make somebody supernaturally observant.

9 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

Yes... It is sort of "psychometric" I feel... But that is definitely qualitative information. Quite probably it is related to an object's identity, which is spiritual in nature. So a tineye with the third heightening would be able to have ultra-sharp senses that pick up anything, and the ability to understand what they are seeing to an extremely high degree of subtlety. The combination would probably serve to make somebody supernaturally observant.

Yes I though the same, but I have just a little doubt... is Identity Spiritual in nature ? Are you sure ? I remember it as Cognitive in Nature.

I would suppose identity to be cognitive as well, but I sort of remember seeing a WoB a while back that confirmed it to be a spiritual thing. I can try and hunt it up but I'm not sure where I had seen it.

Still, for now this quote from emperor's soul might be pertinent:

" All things exist in three Realms, Gaotona. Physical, Cognitive, Spiritual. The Physical is what we feel, what is before us. The Cognitive is how an object is viewed and how it views itself. The Spiritual Realm contains an object’s soul— its essence— as well as the ways it is connected to the things and people around it."

Edited by Drake Marshall

• Chaos locked this topic