The 17S 4 Discussion Thread

Chaos

On the old site, I could click my avatar in the upper right corner and click on "My Content" to view every thread I've posted in and whether or not there are new posts in any of those threads. Does that feature still exist? I can't seem to find it anymore.

I really liked that feature, as it let me reply to people and follow content I was already interested in without getting distracted by new posts. Very good when I only have a few minutes to check the site between things. Also, it let me see those posts without having to check every single forum that I happened to post in. I know Notifications can do similar, but the My Content page was significantly more convenient than notifications. With notifications, I couldn't always tell if the notification was for something I had already checked or not, since they all were marked as read the second I saw them, even if I didn't follow the link to the post the notification was about. I'm not sure how notifications are on the new site, but I'd still really like a handy little list of posts like we had before =\

EDIT: ... and just after posting that, I managed to find it xD The new site equivalent is "Manage Followed Content" - I had thought that would just be a settings page, but if you go there and click on "topics" on the left, you get to a page very similar to what I was looking for. It's more clicks, but it also has better info about notifications and doesn't show topics you've Unfollowed, so I guess it works just as well. I'll have to make sure to autofollow topics now though.

Edited by Nyali

I like the new background. (Shadesmar?) And it looks very clean and modern.  Very bright.  I almost had to turn down my screen brightness. :P 

Personally, I prefer darker tones to lighter tones, but that is purely a matter of preference.  The site looks really nice.

Are you going to move the Question and Answer thread to the new Q&A sub-topic?

Edited by Magestar

Love the update! Everything looks really nice! Also, just noticed the new feature when you highlight text it lets you automatically quote what you have highlighted! This will be very useful! I can't wait to see all the other new cool features! (Oooh, and a blip noise when there's a new reply in-thread when you're typing one up! Ninjas are no longer silent! :ph34r:

Just now, Nyali said:

On the old site, I could click my avatar in the upper right corner and click on "My Content" to view every thread I've posted in and whether or not there are new posts in any of those threads. Does that feature still exist? I can't seem to find it anymore.

I really liked that feature, as it let me reply to people and follow content I was already interested in without getting distracted by new posts. Very good when I only have a few minutes to check the site between things. Also, it let me see those posts without having to check every single forum that I happened to post in. I know Notifications can do similar, but the My Content page was significantly more convenient than notifications. With notifications, I couldn't always tell if the notification was for something I had already checked or not, since they all were marked as read the second I saw them, even if I didn't follow the link to the post the notification was about. I'm not sure how notifications are on the new site, but I'd still really like a handy little list of posts like we had before =\

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but if you go on your profile now then underneath the cover photo and stuff is something similar to 'My Content', where it shows your different posts in different subtopics (and includes any tags on that thread :P)

1 minute ago, IrulelikeSTINK said:

Not sure if this is exactly what you are looking for, but if you go on your profile now then underneath the cover photo and stuff is something similar to 'My Content', where it shows your different posts in different subtopics (and includes any tags on that thread :P)

It isn't what I was looking for, but I did find what I was looking for (points at edit to previous post).

Love the update! Everything looks really nice! Also, just noticed the new feature when you highlight text it lets you automatically quote what you have highlighted! This will be very useful! I can't wait to see all the other new cool features! (Oooh, and a blip noise when there's a new reply in-thread when you're typing one up! Ninjas are no longer silent! :ph34r:

6 minutes ago, Nyali said:

EDIT: ... and just after posting that, I managed to find it xD The new site equivalent is "Manage Followed Content" - I had thought that would just be a settings page, but if you go there and click on "topics" on the left, you get to a page very similar to what I was looking for. It's more clicks, but it also has better info about notifications and doesn't show topics you've Unfollowed, so I guess it works just as well. I'll have to make sure to autofollow topics now though.

You can go to http://www.17thshard.com/forum/discover/content-started/ as well. I may have, uh, obfuscated something important.

2 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

Is my top menu supposed to be so low (Chrome and Firefox on Xubuntu)? I think it should be up there, close to the top of the page. Except for that, I really like this new design :)

screen.png

That's by design. I like it more vertically centered in that space.

4 minutes ago, Mestiv said:

Is my top menu supposed to be so low (Chrome and Firefox on Xubuntu)? I think it should be up there, close to the top of the page. Except for that, I really like this new design :)

screen.png

My profile menu bar is down that low as well too, and the white of the logo kind of bleeds over to the Create button, making it almost unreadable as well.

2 minutes ago, Ecthelion III said:

Not bad! Change is hard but this update looks promising.

(Except for the round profile picture. I hate that.)

If it makes you feel better, some staff had a reaction like that. It is a thing I can change, but for now I want people to get used to the round ones. There are a lot more circles in the design, so I actually do think it fits. It is very different though! Let's see how things go this first little bit.

1 minute ago, Ecthelion III said:

Wait wait wait hold it. There's no longer a "go to first unread post" button when you go to a thread.

It's the symbol on the left of the title (circle/star, depending).

4 minutes ago, Gamma Fiend said:

My profile menu bar is down that low as well too, and the white of the logo kind of bleeds over to the Create button, making it almost unreadable as well.

This could be a consequence of different screen resolutions on the desktop site, as now the width can vary a bit. I'll do some tweaking :) 

Are there new Rep ranks? Also, the site no longer appears to show total rep next to any of the profiles, in-thread.  Is that intentional?  Also, the unread topic headings are a bit buggy for me, I think.  There are ones I have not read showing up as read, and such.  And the lighter text is a little harder to read.  At least for me.

I like that the site makes sounds when new things have been posted.  My ears are far more attentive than my eyes.

Edited by Magestar

Stuff I like

The new spoiler and quote design

The "unread content" button

The tab design at the top

The new layout of where it shows member title and reputation on the left of posts

Stuff I don't like

Round profile pictures

It's harder to tell unread subforums and threads from read ones (the bold text is less obvious and visible than the flashy Allomantic symbols)

The lack of flashy Allomantic symbols in general

Just now, Ecthelion III said:

Stuff I don't like

It's harder to tell unread subforums and threads from read ones (the bold text is less obvious and visible than the flashy Allomantic symbols)

The lack of flashy Allomantic symbols in general

Same, the light/dark blue isn't different enough from the grey