Doc12

Vin vs Iron Man

86 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I don't know if this has been asked or discussed before in this site, I ran a quick search and came up with nothing so far. I'm just wondering, in a battle between a mistborn and a man literally encased in iron, how would the battle come out? Now I know there's already a debate in Marvel about Magneto and Iron Man, but a Mistborn has so many other abilities in his or her arsenal, and I'd like to see how you guys think they could be used in a battle. Also, would Stark be able to out think a Mistborn and come out on top?

I think this could be a really interesting topic to just theorize over.

Knock yourselves out!

I suspect that Iron Man's flight and repulsors would let him outrange Vin, but she might be able to take the victory by surprising him with emotional allomancy and/or duralumin. I put it 7/10 in Stark's favor.

Depends on where and how the Mistborn would be able to engage Iron Man.  Iron Man does have the distinct advantage (IIRC) that none of his projectiles (save his missiles and that one dart salvo from Iron Man 1) are metal, meaning that an Allomancer can't just set up a steel bubble like Wax's and call it a day.  

But Iron Man's flying wouldn't matter as Vin could at any point pull herself towards him, or push herself away. She could also throw off his shots by pushing only on his arms, throw off his flight by pushing only on his legs. Also she could potentially rip off his armor if she aimed a push at his chest, and a pull at both arms, and burned duralumin while doing it. Actually she could aim the push at his chest, and a pull on his helmet, arms, and legs while burning duralumin. Suddenly Tony Stark is in midair with only his chest plate. Assuming of course the pull on his helmet, arms, and legs don't result in ripping his head and various appendages off while she is at it. 

But Iron Man's flying wouldn't matter as Vin could at any point pull herself towards him, or push herself away. She could also throw off his shots by pushing only on his arms, throw off his flight by pushing only on his legs. Also she could potentially rip off his armor if she aimed a push at his chest, and a pull at both arms, and burned duralumin while doing it. Actually she could aim the push at his chest, and a pull on his helmet, arms, and legs while burning duralumin. Suddenly Tony Stark is in midair with only his chest plate. Assuming of course the pull on his helmet, arms, and legs don't result in ripping his head and various appendages off while she is at it. 

Assuming the Mistborn doesn't tear bits of Tony off during such a dismantling, Tony's got two outs in such a situation.  1) the modular armor he was working on during Iron Man 3, which could replenish bits as they were torn off (and are also subject to Allomantic abuse) and 2) the icing problem.  I don't care how good you are at burning pewter, frostbite'll get you as badly as anyone else wearing a tattered cloak and ninja gear.  

Assuming the Mistborn doesn't tear bits of Tony off during such a dismantling, Tony's got two outs in such a situation.  1) the modular armor he was working on during Iron Man 3, which could replenish bits as they were torn off (and are also subject to Allomantic abuse) and 2) the icing problem.  I don't care how good you are at burning pewter, frostbite'll get you as badly as anyone else wearing a tattered cloak and ninja gear.  

That is the one problem with this discussion, Iron Man has a lot of armors. He also had an armor that was immune to Magneto, and a nano armor that was within his body. So given there are countless iterations, I figured I would use the standard armor in the battle. But that choice would ultimately be up to the OP. The icing problem I do not think would be a huge issue for Vin for two reasons. One, she could easily rip him apart long before he got that high. Second, Ham walks around in just a vest numerous times while it is snowing out and doesn't show any signs of frostbite. So although I do not believe Vin would be immune, I do believe she would last more than long enough to dispatch Tony. 

Edited by Pathfinder

That is the one problem with this discussion, Iron Man has a lot of armors. He also had an armor that was immune to Magneto, and a nano armor that was within his body. So given there are countless iterations, I figured I would use the standard armor in the battle. But that choice would ultimately be up to the OP. The icing problem I do not think would be a huge issue for Vin for two reasons. One, she could easily rip him apart long before he got that high. Second, Ham walks around in just a vest numerous times while it is snowing out and doesn't show any signs of frostbite. So although I do not believe Vin would be immune, I do believe she would last more than long enough to dispatch Tony. 

Unless Iron Man begins round 2 in an aluminum suit, Any Mistborn would be able to manipulate any of his suits as they see fit.  Admittedly, they wouldn't be able to tear apart the nano suit, not without killing Tony.  

I was assuming the suit Tony uses in the MCU would be a good guideline.  

vin could probably crush the armor - and the person within - with a duraluminium push.

iron man could shoot vin in a variety of ways, and those bullets move too fast to be pushed on.

So the victory goes to whoever strikes first.

Allomancy has a limited range. Bullets have a much greater range.

Iron man can fly up high in the sky. Vin can only go as high as her pushes send her.

iron man surely has infrared sight, movement sensors, and plenty of other stuff that is at least as good as tin to find people. In the night, infrareds are much better than tin.

So, if both sides are aware of the presence of the other, iron man should win by riddling vin with holes before she can get close enough for allomancy.

vin could probably crush the armor - and the person within - with a duraluminium push.

iron man could shoot vin in a variety of ways, and those bullets move too fast to be pushed on

Iron man can fly up high in the sky. Vin can only go as high as her pushes send her.

iron man surely has infrared sight, movement sensors, and plenty of other stuff that is at least as good as tin to find people. In the night, infrareds are much better than tin.

So, if both sides are aware of the presence of the other, iron man should win by riddling vin with holes before she can get close enough for allomancy.

Mistborn can also pull, which means if one gets close enough, they can latch onto Tony and start wreaking havoc.  Also, metal bullets would veer away by dint of Pushes.  This does not apply to the repulsor beams, but IIRC those are mostly short- to mid-range, to augment a cqc engagement.  Those laser cartridge things seem to have a long enough range, though - one wonders how precise they are, but still.  

Unless Iron Man begins round 2 in an aluminum suit, Any Mistborn would be able to manipulate any of his suits as they see fit.  Admittedly, they wouldn't be able to tear apart the nano suit, not without killing Tony.  

I was assuming the suit Tony uses in the MCU would be a good guideline.  

I checked, the anti magneto suit is made of carbon tubes. So I believe that is not metal, though those in the scientific field may be able to better elaborate. 

iron man could shoot vin in a variety of ways, and those bullets move too fast to be pushed on.

Again, Vin does not need to push off coins to fly up to Iron Man. All she needs to do is pull on a part of him and she goes flying right at him like a homing missile. Now to clarify, anytime I think of fights like these, I picture an arena where the two characters face off. If we are talking in general, then there are going to be a lot of other factors coming into play. 

edit: ninjaed by Landis lol

Edited by Pathfinder

A Mistborn is an Hellish target for everyone at long range.. The combination of Pewter, Steel/Iron and Bendalloy... give them quite all the evasion they need.

They may also create Cadmius bubble as fast deflection field if they don't want to expend the valuable Bendalloy in extreme cases

Edited by Yata

Mistborn can also pull, which means if one gets close enough, they can latch onto Tony and start wreaking havoc. 

If she's close enough to pull, then she's close enough to duraluminium/pull the back of the armor and push the front, crushing the person inside.

No, I'm talking about a range of several kilometers. I don't really know what iron man can do - I've only seen a couple movies - but modern heavy weaponry has a useful range of a few kilometers. A coinshot can't have a range greater than a couple hundred meters, probably much less. Iron man can hover one kilometer above the ground and fire at everything with an infrared signature with lasers or aluminium bullets or something.

If she's close enough to pull, then she's close enough to duraluminium/pull the back of the armor and push the front, crushing the person inside.

No, I'm talking about a range of several kilometers. I don't really know what iron man can do - I've only seen a couple movies - but modern heavy weaponry has a useful range of a few kilometers. A coinshot can't have a range greater than a couple hundred meters, probably much less. Iron man can hover one kilometer above the ground and fire at everything with an infrared signature with lasers or aluminium bullets or something.

Well therein lies the continual problem with versus bouts. The conditions need to be named. Does Tony know Vin's abilities and same vica versa prior to combat? If they do have knowledge, do they have time to prepare (to make aluminum weapons for instance)? Where do they start, how far apart do they start, and do they have knowledge of where each other are when they start?

If he's flying, and she's just pulling herself towards him (which would be difficult anyway based on the range) then she's essentially a sitting duck.  He can fire bullets or flames or just drop stuff behind him and she'll get hit.  If he's going straight up then there is not even any way for her to dodge except by shooting a coin-pouch to the side (of which she likely doesn't have more than one or two).  He just needs to stay directly above her to avoid her having manueverability.

If he's flying, and she's just pulling herself towards him (which would be difficult anyway based on the range) then she's essentially a sitting duck.  He can fire bullets or flames or just drop stuff behind him and she'll get hit.  If he's going straight up then there is not even any way for her to dodge except by shooting a coin-pouch to the side (of which she likely doesn't have more than one or two).  He just needs to stay directly above her to avoid her having manueverability.

That is why I stated she could push on arms and legs individually. So for instance, steady pull on his chest to go towards him. While flying towards him, he raises his arm to shoot her. While still pulling on his chest, she pushes on his arm, causing the shot to go wide. Same with his other weapons

edit: that is also not accounting for the fact that she can switch what she is pulling on, or push. He would have forces throwing him every which way preventing him from aiming or locking on with any of his weapons. For instance yanking on him to accelerate towards him, then pushing on his right shoulder while pulling on his left should would spin him around. Then yank on his leg to further close the distance, making him flip backwards. Storms, keep it up enough and Tony may very well lose his lunch in his visor lol. 

Edited by Pathfinder

You're all assuming that Steelpushing and Ironpulling generate enough force to rip Iron Man's armour. I am not so sure about that.

You're all assuming that Steelpushing and Ironpulling generate enough force to rip Iron Man's armour. I am not so sure about that.

A man at peak human fitness (that is all the serum did for captain america) throwing a discus (cap's shield) can damage it, why wouldn't pushes and pulls from a pewter burning mistborn?

edit: vibranium absorbs energy, so what his shield is made of did not give him any additional penetrating power

Edited by Pathfinder

I still think that a mistborn will be hard as hell to hit from distance for Mister genius-billionaire-playboy-philanthropist.

A man at peak human fitness (that is all the serum did for captain america) throwing a discus (cap's shield) can damage it, why wouldn't pushes and pulls from a pewter burning mistborn?

edit: vibranium absorbs energy, so what his shield is made of did not give him any additional penetrating power

Wrong analogy. Throwing a shield should be compared to firing a projectile (like shooting coins) while ripping things apart is a whole different thing.

I still think that a mistborn will be hard as hell to hit from distance for Mister genius-billionaire-playboy-philanthropist.

Aiming systems, heat-seeking, homing missiles...

Wrong analogy. Throwing a shield should be compared to firing a projectile (like shooting coins) while ripping things apart is a whole different thing.

Aiming systems, heat-seeking, homing missiles...

Ok, then how about Captain America being able doing exactly that? Strong enough to rip apart Tony's suit. Also if the amount of force as result of a push of shooting coins is comparable to the power of the shield damaging the armor, then a duralumin push and pull should clearly tear the armor in two. 

Aiming systems and heating seeking which both would be distorted due to a Bendalloy bubble, homing missiles which would be stopped by steel, and we haven't even mentioned atium. 

edit: also tearing the suit apart should take less effort than trying to penetrate the armor. Tearing it apart is going against the joints and seams of the armor, which has only so much structural integrity to allow for manipulation and motion. 

edit 2: it also has not been stated at what point the two fighters begin, do they have knowledge of each other's location, do they have knowledge of each others capabilities, and if so do they have time to prepare based on this knowledge? Because if so, Vin gets benefits of this as well.  

Edited by Pathfinder

you can never trust movies or videogames for consistency on those matters. in any fps, whipping someone with a pistol hurts more than actually firing with the pistol. Even in a game like mass effect, which is set in the future. just the same, in every action movie the mooks will unload cartridges upon cartridges of bullets on the hero without ever hitting, but the guy throwing a sword always hits. I wouldn't draw conclusions on weapon damage or armor resistance from those fact.

you can never trust movies or videogames for consistency on those matters. in any fps, whipping someone with a pistol hurts more than actually firing with the pistol. Even in a game like mass effect, which is set in the future. just the same, in every action movie the mooks will unload cartridges upon cartridges of bullets on the hero without ever hitting, but the guy throwing a sword always hits. I wouldn't draw conclusions on weapon damage or armor resistance from those fact.

And comic books hold even less consistency. Magneto goes from only manipulating metal, to all magnetic fields to which all things in existence have so he can manipulate everything (oh oh and I forgot, he can make black holes and turn invisible that way too!), to oh yeah by the way, suddenly he had telepathy. What is consistent in both comic books and movies, is that Captain America can and has damaged and or destroyed Iron Man's armor. He has accomplished this even against armors specifically made to fight/kill Captain America (and that armor had nothing to do with the Civil War story line, it came long before it). 

edit: just to clarify as this always comes up when posts go back and forth quickly, when I bold words, it is in an effort to show emphasis. This is to avoid using caps so as to not sound like I am shouting. Ironically enough, the use of bold has been in the past still been viewed or assumed to be as yelling or being upset. Again I am not. I am only using bold to call attention or highlight specific points in my post. 

edit 2: also if this thread has taught me anything during my research is this: Tony gets manipulated, taken over, or his armor stolen or taken over a lot. These armors also get beaten up, stopped, or destroyed by other heroes a lot lol. 

Edited by Pathfinder

My mistake guys, I should've put in conditions, like many of you stated. 

Right, let's say w have three rounds.

Round 1: standard armor. Each side has little knowledge of the extent to each other's powers.this rounds should be relatively short as bot sides have the advantage of surprise 

Round 2: knowing the powers of each side, each side prepares. IE:aluminium suit, hulk buster. Basically this duel will be them seeing how well their new strategies work and adapting better.

Round 3: all out battle with even more in depth knowledge of the others strengths and weaknesses.

Standard suit for Tony in the first round, probably the modular one in the MCU. Vin has access to all metals so far. Do we give her atium tho? Perhaps not in the first round. They both can go absolute OP in round 3

They won't be trying to kill each other, So try to limit to non lethal attacks. IE: stun blasts, gas, concussion grenades for Stark, no crushing for Vin.

Edited by Doctor12

Overall some really cool discussion guys! Thanks!

As for setting, i also picture a roofless arena, with metal for vin to toss about, and the hulkbuster drvice from avengers 2 which give extra parts when the suit is damaged. The repairs are limited, of course, and Vins metal reserves aren't infinite. It might turn out to be a fight of who can last longest after all.

Edited by Doctor12