So How Much More Cosmere-Aware will We Become?

VirtuousTraveller

So I'm curious about how much this first volume of White Sand will tell us about the greater cosmere story we're all dying to uncover.  I've heard rumors about this planet Taladin and 

that Bavadin, who holds the shard Autonomy, is there.  From the previews, it almost sounds like the sun/star in this system is the source of investiture, but that's an idea having not read the unpublished story.

I requested a copy of the unpublished works a week or two ago, but haven't heard back (hopefully that means Brandon and crew are hard at work pulling off a surprise early release of Oathbringer along with the Arcanium Unbounded this fall!)

Without spoilers, how much insight into the cosmere do you think we'll get from this graphic novel?

Edited by VirtuousTraveller

Personally, with very little knowledge of White Sands, I imagine this first release will be fairly Cosmere-light. If I understand it correctly, this is only part 1 of 3 for the graphic novel. I would imagine that part 3 will drop far more Cosmere knowledge and that we will only get a bit in part 1 and 2.

Also, random thought: Will Hoid be making appearances in these novels? If so, that would be awesome to get some "canon" art work of him!

Actually He often uses mondane trck to disguise himself.

I think we never saw him using magic to change himself, at least with the normal people... I am pretty sure he uses some trick to stay hidden from "extra senses" of Shard and other above the average being.

So I'm curious about how much this first volume of White Sand will tell us about the greater cosmere story we're all dying to uncover.  I've heard rumors about this planet Taladin and 

that Bavadin, who holds the shard Autonomy, is there.  From the previews, it almost sounds like the sun/star in this system is the source of investiture, but that's an idea having not read the unpublished story.

I requested a copy of the unpublished works a week or two ago, but haven't heard back (hopefully that means Brandon and crew are hard at work pulling off a surprise early release of Oathbringer along with the Arcanium Unbounded this fall!)

Without spoilers, how much insight into the cosmere do you think we'll get from this graphic novel?

Seeing as how this is pretty early on in the timeline, and we are just now meeting Khriss (who at this time we believe doesn't know much of anything about the cosmere) there probably won't be a lot of insight to the cosmere.  At least in the first issue it will probably be more of a background/get to know the characters.

I feel there might be some info in the later issues about how Khriss became aware of the cosmere and what started her on her path to worldhopping/gathering info on magic systems.

We've been told that Hoid will be making an appearance (that being a change from the manuscript).

As for the overall Cosmere knowledge expansion, every new magic system is an added dimension, an added data set for understanding the overall cosmeric insights. Given that this is coming out with the short stories coming out next (and those all having forwards from Khriss) coming to understand Khriss may be the most important insight. She is the most aware individual in the Cosmere at later points, so seeing her beginning is important too.

I assume this is the case, but would like to check just to be sure. Any discussion I come up with regarding information of Autonomy from the prose edition I cannot post or discuss in the cosmere theories board correct?

Based on this quote from someone asking about the forum rules, I anticipate we will learn more about Autonomy.

Based on this quote from someone asking about the forum rules, I anticipate we will learn more about Autonomy.

Lol not necessarily. A lot is my own theories based on info in the prose version. Unfortunately cannot I explain what I mean because of the forum rules. However if you read the prose edition and want to check out that forum, please do! Everything I came up with is there.

ps: really trying to hold to the forum rules with my response. Not trying to skirt them, so hopefully I have not done anything to break them. 

Edited by Pathfinder

Actually He often uses mondane trck to disguise himself.

I think we never saw him using magic to change himself, at least with the normal people... I am pretty sure he uses some trick to stay hidden from "extra senses" of Shard and other above the average being.

possibly some kind of aluminum? In Ars Arcanum after the band's of morning i think it is they talk about how it has a deadening effect on magic.

possibly some kind of aluminum? In Ars Arcanum after the band's of morning i think it is they talk about how it has a deadening effect on magic.

More probable that he stores Connection whenever he can, so that he becomes unremarkable to any Shards that might be looking.  

More probable that he stores Connection whenever he can, so that he becomes unremarkable to any Shards that might be looking.  

Maybe but He would lose some "benefits" of be Connected with a Shardworld and I am unsure if he would do it

Maybe but He would lose some "benefits" of be Connected with a Shardworld and I am unsure if he would do it

True.  Of course, that applies more for some Shardworlds than others (note that his version of speaking tongues does not involve funny accents, like the SoScads' medallions do).  W/r/t the aluminum hat idea, he's only described as wearing headgear once, in a deleted scene for TES, which was part of his fool's motley.  He doesn't even wear a hat on Roshar, in the very heart of his greatest enemy's territory, sticking solely with black hair dye and perhaps some Lightweaving or similar magic to prevent aging. 

W/r/t the aluminum hat idea, he's only described as wearing headgear once, in a deleted scene for TES, which was part of his fool's motley.  He doesn't even wear a hat on Roshar, in the very heart of his greatest enemy's territory, sticking solely with black hair dye and perhaps some Lightweaving or similar magic to prevent aging. 

Sorry, hadn't realized the actual viability of this idea before I made it in jest. I guess there are situations where this could and is more than a joke. Not an actual theory I am promoting in this case.