2016-06-11 B&N "B-Fest" - Orem, UT

Sunbird

Brandon mentioned in a recent Facebook post that he will participating in Barnes and Noble's nationwide "B-Fest" event on June 11 at the Orem B&N. (See his events page.) Dan Wells is also scheduled to be there, as well as Sabaa Tahir. How many of my fellow Utah Sharders are planning on coming? If you're coming, are you just going for Brandon, or do the other two authors interest you too?

I had not heard of Sabaa Tahir before, but I'm a fan of Dan Wells. I ordered a copy of his latest John Cleaver book so I can get it signed next weekend. I'll have to see if I can finish reading it before then too, so I can ask him questions and/or gush about it. Might be a challenge because I have a stack of library books I need to read as well.

Purely coincidentally to the signing, I will be in the Salt Lake area this weekend, so you can bet your butts I'll be at the signing!

Awesome! I can't wait to meet some more Sharders in person!

I will not be cosplaying for this event (too storming hot to wear the black coat for my Prof outfit), but I'll wear my Bands of Mourning T-shirt and Stormlight pin.

Interesting bit in that signing report about how fans are becoming alpha, beta, gamma readers and the dangerousness of spoilers that implies. Seems like anything in unpublished works shouldn't be discussed in public like that. Kind of irresponsible of the pre-publication readers.

13 hours ago, masaru said:

Interesting bit in that signing report about how fans are becoming alpha, beta, gamma readers and the dangerousness of spoilers that implies. Seems like anything in unpublished works shouldn't be discussed in public like that. Kind of irresponsible of the pre-publication readers.

Perhaps but I personally think you'd need an encyclopediac memory to separate everything you know about the Cosmere as an advanced reader as well as with the sheer amount of material we know from interviews, Q&As, and the like.

I guarantee we could fill a few novellas, or one full novel (length-wise) itself, with all the information learned from these other mediums.

At one point, a fan asked Isaac, who was also there signing books in which he had done artwork/maps, a question, which Isaac then answered and then Brandon kind of interrupted him and said, "That's actually a huge spoiler. We're going to need to have that expunged from the transcript." And he looked over at us Sharders like, You got that? This is off the record. Unfortunately, I was not paying attention and completely missed what the question was and how Isaac answered it.

Little wilson asked what would happen if a pregnant woman were taken by the Shaod. The gist of Brandon's answer was that the woman would be affected like anyone else taken by the Shaod and the baby would basically go into stasis until the Elantrian magic was restored, at which point the baby would continue its growth and eventually be born but not become an Elantrian.

I thought of something else that happened that you might find entertaining...

So this one guy came through the signing line and asked to get a brief sound recording of Brandon. The fan explained that he runs a podcast in which they have this running joke where every episode, they introduce a celebrity guest, who says, "Hi! Glad to be here," and then doesn't say another word for the whole episode. Brandon was happy to let the podcast guy record him saying hi to the podcast audience. I thought that was pretty great.