Hemalurgy Creations

Kinetic

This page contains spoilers for the original Mistborn Trilogy.

So, with Hemalurgy, the possible creations that can be made are endless. We have already seen Kandra, Kollos, Inquisitors, and the beasts in Shadows of Self. What other combonations are there?

This is my thought on a possible creation. Koloss are made from 5 iron spikes and  what if, instead of iron spikes, the spikes were zinc? Hemalurgy dehumanizes someone and so the image that this creates in my mind is that of a mad scientist.

This page contains spoilers for the original Mistborn Trilogy.

So, with Hemalurgy, the possible creations that can be made are endless. We have already seen Kandra, Kollos, Inquisitors, and the beasts in Shadows of Self. What other combonations are there?

This is my thought on a possible creation. Koloss are made from 5 iron spikes and  what if, instead of iron spikes, the spikes were zinc? Hemalurgy dehumanizes someone and so the image that this creates in my mind is that of a mad scientist.

Mad scientists are emotionally unstable and scientifically brilliant.  Zinc, which implants emotional stability into the victim, would not produce such.  No, to create such a chimera, you'd need to steal their emotional stability (possibly in several places) and shove charged copper spikes into those holes (essentially replacing their emotional stability with expanded capacity for knowledge).  Possibly with a couple tin spikes to enhance their ability to glean information.  In addition, you'd need to give them the drive to create, and we don't even know if human creativity is transferable via Hemalurgy.  (it probably is, but it feels like it'd be more complicated than stab-em-and-go).  

Just a little precisation .... Koloss are made with 4 Iron Spikes not five ;-)

Edited by Yata

Just a little precisation .... Koloss are made with 4 Iron Spikes not five ;-)

Yep, I think the reason that's a common mistake is because they're described at least once as the combination of 5 people, but that's because it's four spikes into one person, hence giving that one person the strength of four others (or a bit less after Hemalurgic decay of course).

jW

Yep, I think the reason that's a common mistake is because they're described at least once as the combination of 5 people, but that's because it's four spikes into one person, hence giving that one person the strength of four others (or a bit less after Hemalurgic decay of course).

jW

Yeah... To be Honest I think you may create a Koloss also with some less Spike (or something really similar)... But 4 Spikes are required to have a direct control on Human based creatures... Probably Rashek designed the Koloss to be the perfect soldiers with the highest efficiency possible.

• 2 weeks later...

I think it's a bit odd that Kandra spikes are iron. Since iron steals physical strength, it makes sense that Koloss have them, bit why do they give Kandra sentience?

I suspect it wasn't used to steal strength, but instead a (the?) "human" trait that would somewhat tie to that. Are all the Kandrea Blessings Iron? Or just the Blessing of Potency? That would also play a role.

jW

I suspect it wasn't used to steal strength, but instead a (the?) "human" trait that would somewhat tie to that. Are all the Kandrea Blessings Iron? Or just the Blessing of Potency? That would also play a role.

jW

No, the "standard" Blessings may be of many pure metals (not alloys):

Iron steal Strenght for the Blessing of Potency

Tin steal Senses for the Blessing of Awareness

Copper steal Mental capacity for the Blessing of Presence

Zinc steal Emotional fortitude for the Blessing of Stability

They may probably use every Hemalurgic Spike to gain sentience but these are the common used in the Final Empire (and to be honest the ancient Kandra's Blessing covered all the knowledged metals)

But they are all "standard" Hemalurgy Spike with Human attributes... The reason they give sentience to a Kandra is about the Mistwraths are Human with a Cognitive Deficit.... You push with the Spike more Human Spirit Web into them to overcome the Cognitive Blockage that TLR designed for them.

Edited by Yata

• 2 weeks later...
On May 25, 2016 at 8:26 PM, Landis963 said:

Mad scientists are emotionally unstable and scientifically brilliant.  Zinc, which implants emotional stability into the victim, would not produce such.  No, to create such a chimera, you'd need to steal their emotional stability (possibly in several places) and shove charged copper spikes into those holes (essentially replacing their emotional stability with expanded capacity for knowledge).  Possibly with a couple tin spikes to enhance their ability to glean information.  In addition, you'd need to give them the drive to create, and we don't even know if human creativity is transferable via Hemalurgy.  (it probably is, but it feels like it'd be more complicated than stab-em-and-go).  

The way Hemalurgy works, as far as I understand, is the spike sorta latches on to the victims spirit web-- what makes them, them-- and rips off the corresponding chunk of whatever that latched on to. The possibilities here are endless. The spirit web is everything about somebody, including magic and stuff like that. So, stealing a Spren, or stealing BioChromatic Breath, is possible. I would imagine that, since the spirit web makes up everything that a person is, though not physically, creativity could be taken.

Edited by Tman

6 hours ago, Tman said:

The way Hemalurgy works, as far as I understand, is the spike sorta latches on to the victims spirit web-- what makes them, them-- and rips off the corresponding chunk of whatever that latched on to. The possibilities here are endless. The spirit web is everything about somebody, including magic and stuff like that. So, stealing a Spren, or stealing BioChromatic Breath, is possible. I would imagine that, since the spirit web makes up everything that a person is, though not physically, creativity could be taken.

Not everybody may be stole through Hemalurgy, only piece of Spirit Webs... Something aren't relate to Spirit Web (for example you can't stole Breath with Hemalurgy because it's pretty physical Investiture).

Anyway you have right, with the part of Spirit Web you may stole, and the possibility to use their Spirit Web to Twist the reciver... The Hemalurgy's possibilities are quite infinite. But also the Knowledge of its use is as complex as its flexibility.

You also cannot steal an affinity for chicken with Hemalurgy. 

INTERVIEW: Apr 15th, 2013

Reddit AMA 2013 (Verbatim) 

THE_VIKACHU ()

Another hemalurgy question: Is it possible to steal more than just spiritual DNA with hemalurgy? If you, say, infused someone with a hundred hemalurgic spikes charged from people who liked chicken, would the spike person enjoy chicken as well?

BRANDON SANDERSON

You can steal quite a lot with Hemalurgy. Anything encoded on a person's soul, really. Not sure if chicken liking counts, though...

TAGS

So, certain things might not be stealable.

Hm... Is that affinity for chicken a major part of your identity? Does it define you? If so... Than maybe you could steal it.

Also... What if you did make a koloss with five spikes? What if you made a normal koloss and then gave it an extra spike made of copper? Because then it might have about normal mental capacity again...

9 hours ago, Drake Marshall said:

Hm... Is that affinity for chicken a major part of your identity? Does it define you? If so... Than maybe you could steal it.

Also... What if you did make a koloss with five spikes? What if you made a normal koloss and then gave it an extra spike made of copper? Because then it might have about normal mental capacity again...

It's hard to say.... Human-attribute's twist the user and probably you may have a lot of possibilities based on where you put the Copper Spike

On 5/26/2016 at 7:20 PM, Yata said:

Yeah... To be Honest I think you may create a Koloss also with some less Spike (or something really similar)... But 4 Spikes are required to have a direct control on Human based creatures... Probably Rashek designed the Koloss to be the perfect soldiers with the highest efficiency possible.

*spoiler for BoM*

in Bands they say that 4 spikes is the minimum needed for Harmony to control a man, so, yes Kolos have 4 because it's the "cheapest" way to create and control them. having more spike will probably make them stronger but will twist their bodies even more probably making them grow and die faster.

2 minutes ago, Important_wavy_thing said:

Could you steal emotionlessness with Hermalurgy? I have a friend who needs a small dose, and I don't care if she turns into a monster of some sort.

You could probably steal emotions from her, but hemalurgy is the epitome of "don't try this at home."

On 7/6/2016 at 4:38 AM, Landis963 said:

You could probably steal emotions from her, but hemalurgy is the epitome of "don't try this at home."

she will most likely die if he tries to steal emotions from her, better try Soul Forgery

• Chaos locked this topic