Quiver

Webcomics

55 posts in this topic

I finally took the plunge and binge read the entirety of Gunnerkrigg court today. It's cool.

I, too, read Order of the Stick religiously.  It's by far my favorite.

Also, XKCD, QC, Erfworld, etc.

On 5/11/2016 at 5:45 PM, Straw said:

Ooo.  Do you read Skin Horse, too?

On 6/7/2016 at 11:54 PM, Sunbird said:

Judging by the title alone, I'm guessing it's at least somewhat NSFW?

Questionable Content is....borderline NSFW.  It depends on your workplace.  (I typically save it for home myself.)  There's definitely a lot of strong language and adult themes.  I would NOT recommend this comic for the younger readers on the board.  But for the grownups, it's a good one.

What I find fascinating about QC is how, even after binge-reading the whole thing, the art development progression is so gradual that I didn't even notice it.  Until I pop back and look at the first strip and go, "Holy CRAP!  The art has changed SO MUCH!"

Can anyone give me a verdict on Drow Tales? Good fantasy comic, or bad fantasy comic?

The best two I read are Girl Genius and Namesake.

Girl Genius (updates every mon, wed, fri) is set in a madcap alternate Europe where mad scientists (Sparks) run the world (badly). The story begins when a clumsy inept student called Agatha Clay is mugged by some soldiers and has her locket stolen, what she does not know (at first) is that she is the lost heir to the Heterodyne family of Sparks, the most terrifying of all Sparks, and that her locket was designed to dampen her brain down to keep her hidden and safe. The authors coined the term Gaslamp fantasy to describe a world part steampunk and part supernatural. There are monsters, robots (clanks), undead, minions, monstrous robot undead minions and just about anything else you might expect to find in a world where Mad Scientists can truly warp the laws of physics.

Namesake (updates tue, thur, sat) is based on the idea that the titular Namesakes get pulled into other worlds when they are young adults/children, have an adventure and return to find their Writer who tells their story, in this way stories keep spreading and strengthening magic/reality in all worlds. They are called Namesakes because children of particular names will always be pulled into the same world – a Dorothy will always go to Oz, a Wendy to Neverland, an Alice to Wonderland etc. Any child of the appropriate name could have their world turned upside down in this way.  The story starts when a girl called Emma goes to pick up her sister, Elaine, from the library and ends up being pulled through a portal. Emma ends up in Oz and Elaine is picked up by an organization called Calliope comprised of former namesakes and Writers who are very confused that an Emma has disappeared when there is no record of Emma being a Namesake name and so they don’t know where she has gone. Emma is confused herself as everyone keeps referring to her as ‘The Dorothy’ (as well as the fact that she is in Oz and a purple witch immediately tries to turn her into a handbag).  It has great humour too (eg when one character learns about magical, reality warping Writers he asks ” Is Terry Pratchett one of you guys too?”)

Both are excellent full-page comics, I'll also recommend - Freefall, Fey Winds and Gaia.

@ChocolateRob I will have to check out Girl Genius and Namesake! They both sound right up my alley.

I mentioned it earlier, but a definite second on checking out Gil Genius.  it is fantastic

Are you guys reading Gunnerkrigg Court?

If not, why aren't you reading Gunnerkrigg Court? Because you should be reading it. It is awesome. 

Apart from that, Girl Genius, Schlock Mercenary, the wonderful Order of the Stick, and the ever-glorious XKCD are all highly recommended. 
Goblins, the webcomic is fantastic as well. Strong recommendation for story, humour, and great writing/art. 

I read a few, my current favourite is Not A Villain. Brief from the website:

In a post-apocalyptic world, hackers are hunted down since the virtual reality "L.i.F.e." is what most people have left to live, to work, and to play.

Kleya, a genius hacker, is trying to reform her bad habits and live like a normal person. Alas, the addictive virtual Game is calling her name and she has an extreme dislike of losing...

It's pretty great :)

I also read Replay, OOTS (like plenty of others here it seems), The Dreamland Chronicles, Will Save World for Gold, Earthsong, Goblins, Gaia. I've read others at times, but those are the ones I'm reading currently.

Oh man. Today's Darths & Droids is an absolute gem.

Spoiler

darths1417.jpg

Any of y'all read Axe Cop? Bearmaggedon? Dr McNinja? or at least Big Nate?

15 hours ago, Dankness Ascendant said:

Any of y'all read Axe Cop? Bearmaggedon? Dr McNinja? or at least Big Nate?

read a little bit of axe cop, but it never really appealed to me.  Dr. McNinja is great though.  pity it is on its way out.

6 hours ago, Dunkum said:

read a little bit of axe cop, but it never really appealed to me.  Dr. McNinja is great though.  pity it is on its way out.

No no no. Read the whole of Axe-Cop, or at least the special editions. They're amazing!

Have you read the Doctor McNinja-Axe Cop crossover? It's pretty hilarious

15 hours ago, Dankness Ascendant said:

No no no. Read the whole of Axe-Cop, or at least the special editions. They're amazing!

Have you read the Doctor McNinja-Axe Cop crossover? It's pretty hilarious

that's one of the few I did read, but it just didn't do that much for me.

No one read Erfworld? I find it to be extremely entertaining, besides Order of the Stick. 

30 minutes ago, Dankness Ascendant said:

Cyanide and happiness guys?

I find some of their strips funny, but others, not so much, so I don't follow it devotedly. Mostly I just lol when I see one on Facebook.

Just now, Sunbird said:

I find some of their strips funny, but others, not so much, so I don't follow it devotedly. Mostly I just lol when I see one on Facebook.

Yeah, there are some pretty messed up stuff in them.

1. Order of the Stick

2. Sandra and Woo

3. Darths and Droids

19 hours ago, Spoolofwhool said:

No one read Erfworld? I find it to be extremely entertaining, besides Order of the Stick. 

I do.  i generally find it less funny than order of the stick, but I like most of what he is doing.  still not 100% sure on this current arc just now.

3 hours ago, Dunkum said:

I do.  i generally find it less funny than order of the stick, but I like most of what he is doing.  still not 100% sure on this current arc just now.

It's probably a given that Erfworld is less funny since it's designed to be comedic for the most part with even the characters not taking themselves seriously. On the other hand, Erfworld feels to be more of a serious humor-type, and it's set in a completely made up world, which means it requires interspersed worldbuilding, which takes away room from funniness. 

I agree that this arc feels a bit shaky, but I think once it's done it will be pretty good. I think though that the first arc/book is the best part of the webcomic. Maybe that's just because that was the part where Hamster completely dominated.

Edited by Spoolofwhool

1 hour ago, Spoolofwhool said:

It's probably a given that Erfworld is less funny since it's designed to be comedic for the most part with even the characters not taking themselves seriously. On the other hand, Erfworld feels to be more of a serious humor-type, and it's set in a completely made up world, which means it requires interspersed worldbuilding, which takes away room from funniness. 

I agree that this arc feels a bit shaky, but I think once it's done it will be pretty good. I think though that the first arc/book is the best part of the webcomic. Maybe that's just because that was the part where Hamster completely dominated.

i definitely like the world-building aspects, and i'm especially interested in the magic system and the sorts of things different  groups of casters might be able to do when linked, since the examples we have seen so far have mostly been pretty impressive.  the different level of humor was sort of the first thing that came to mind, but isn't necessarily a bad thing.  he isn't trying to do the same thing as OotS, so it makes sense that the latter would be funnier.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:48 AM, Sunbird said:

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 2:50 AM, Dankness Ascendant said:

Yeah, there are some pretty messed up stuff in them.

It might be due to the different authors. There were four (now only three) people who write the strips, and different styles of humor appeal to different people. Rob's strips are the funniest, IMO, and Dave's are pretty good too. Kris has a very weird sense of humor, so his strips tend to be more absurd and nonsensical; there are a good number of his that I just don't find funny. And Matt, who's no longer with them, had the most offensive style of humor; I didn't enjoy a lot of his, either.

Some of my favorite comics came when they took turns drawing comics in each others' styles, obviously making fun of them ([1] [2] [3] [4]). I think they have just the right amount of mockery, while still being humorous on their own.

Maybe it's just me, but I've thought the quality of the strip overall has declined since they started working on the show. Which makes sense - they only have so much time to work, and anything they put in the show is going to be something they can't do in the strip. But since I don't pay to get the show, I'm probably missing out on some of their best stuff. Which is what it is... I'm not complaining (okay, fine, maybe I am complaining a little bit), since it totally makes more financial sense for them to do what they've done.

I have really slow internet and my parents are always lecturing me about spending too much time on the computer instead of spending all of my time outside freezing/burning to death, hurting my recently-surgeried back, and getting a decent sunburn, but so far I have a few webcomics I like.

1. The Order of the Stick (of course). WARNING: I am not up-to-date, so no spoilers.
  2. xkcd
  3. Saturday Morning Breakfast Cereal
  4. Scandinavia and the World, oddly enough. It's actually really funny and usually educational

EDIT: I am now fully caught up on the current OOTS story.

Edited by The Allomantic Metalhead