Webcomics

Quiver

I could have sworn I'd seen a topic about this once before... or maybe I just thought there was. In either case, if this is duplicating something-already-said... mea culpa. Please feel free to delete or merge as appropriate.

Anyway. On topic.

Anyone read any webcomics? There's a few I follow which I'm a big fan of -Order of the Stick making the top of the list- but I'm always looking for new material, and I'm curious what other people read.

Well, besides The Order of the Stick, the two others I love are Gunnerkrigg Court and Unsounded.

for those unfamiliar, GC is set in a gigantic mysterious school/magic laboratory/ industrial complex park and follows the lives of best friends Antimony Carver and Kat Donlan. It's slow simmering, but the characterization and gentle humor are excellent. I can't really do it justice, and it is a very strange world to describe. Be advised, the art in the first chapters is a bit rough, but improves in leaps and bound as the comic progresses.

Unsounded is set in a fantasy world on a brink of war and is sometimes a tad  NSFW. It's OK because it's art.  ;) The characters are very complex and (eventually, in the case of Sette) endearing.

I second Gunnerkrieg Court.

Of course there is the ever great xkcd, but you already know that one. Bug Martini (A brilliant gag comic, where every panel has something funny), Awful Hospital (It is semi-interactive, but the fanbase is mostly... tumblr, so take what you will from that), False Positive (Weird Fiction, so expect dread, not laughs, except when it is funny), Camp Wedonwantcha (About a group of children abandoned in a camp where people leave unwanted things. So dark, so sad, so very, very funny).

I've enjoyed Looking for Group for a long time, and The Adventures of Dr McNinja (yep). Oh, and No Need For Bushido, that's probably one of my favorites, and has a bit more seriousness the the others.

I love OotS to, of course.

jW

Well, besides The Order of the Stick, the two others I love are Gunnerkrigg Court and Unsounded.

Unsounded is set in a fantasy world on a brink of war and is sometimes a tad  NSFW. It's OK because it's art.  ;) The characters are very complex and (eventually, in the case of Sette) endearing.

Unsounded is a great Comic, but yes, very NSFW. 

I also read Dr. McNinja, Order of the Stick, Gaia, Dumbing of Age, ThePunchelineIsMachismo, Schlock Mercenary, Erfworld, Penny Arcade, the Last Halloween, and Junior Scientist Power Hour.

Schlock Mercenary is my favorite webcomic, followed shortly by order of the stick.

I also follow Darths and Droids, MLP: Friendship is Dragons, xkcd, and retail. All of which are quite enjoyable.

Oh! I forgot existential comics. That's a great one if you enjoy philosophy

Edited by Seonid

I like xkcd, but don't really follow it actively. I do, however, follow Darths and Droids pretty religiously, and I've been debating starting Order of the Stick. I used to read Looking for Group but kind of lost interest after a while.

the webcomics folder in my bookmarks has 22 entries right now.  used to be more.

other than ones that I already saw listed I'd add Atomic Robo, Dresden Codak, and Girl Genius as being fantastic; and 8 Bit Theatre, though no longer updating, is in the top 5 webcomics I have ever read.

For standalone comics:

A strong second for SMBC (Saturday morning breakfast cereal)

The Perry Bible Fellowship was discontinued long ago, but was very funny ( http://pbfcomics.com/ )

Tom the Dancing Bug is wonderful about half the time.

For long stories, Stand still stay Silent is nice ( http://www.sssscomic.com/ )

No one's mentioned Hiveworks yet: it's a good portal to find things you like ( http://www.thehiveworks.com/).

I started reading Order of the Stick in earnest this week and have gotten through 200-ish strips.

Also forgot to mention in my previous post that I really like The Dinosaur Whiteboard, by the creators of Darths and Droids.

• 2 weeks later...

Judging by the title alone, I'm guessing it's at least somewhat NSFW?

I got through the first few hundred pages. Surprisingly SFW.

My reading list is:

1. The Archipelago (highly recommended!)

2. Gunnerkrigg Court

3. Atomic Robo

4. Girl Genius

5. The Legend of Maxx (which prematurely ended this Spring)

Edited by Chandrian