Nightwielder and other Intangible Epics

Vissy

This is just a question that popped up in my head, and I had to get it out. Nightwielder has the power to turn himself intangible, and as explained in the books, he also has the power of flight. This allows him to avoid falling into the Earth's core when he uses his intangibility powers. 

But what about the intangibility Epics who can't fly?

Are they just all stuck in the Earth's core, having awkward conversations with one another? 

Please, answer that question for me.

Edited by Varangian

This is just a question that popped up in my head, and I had to get it out. Nightwielder has the power to turn himself intangible, and as explained in the books, he also has the power of flight. This allows him to avoid falling into the Earth's core when he uses his intangibility powers. 

But what about the intangibility Epics who can't fly?

Are they just all stuck in the Earth's core, having awkward conversations with one another? 

Please, answer that question for me.

Well, I think David also says that he has the ability to fly, like all intangibles. So I would say yes, unless they have a flying like or similair movement ability, they probably got stuck somewhere in the core of the earth and died, be it from dehydration alone.

Edited by Edgedancer

Actually, I don't think this is the case. Assuming incorporate beings aren't affected by air resistance, that means no energy is converted away from the fall. That means when an incorporeal being falls through the world, they should stop at the exact distance away from the core on the other side of the globe- because the gain/loss of momentum should be proportional on either side of the core.

If they step into corporeality near the core and get stuck, well that's their fault. :3

edit: hey I found a video that kinda explains it...

Edited by Unodus

Actually, I don't think this is the case. Assuming incorporate beings aren't affected by air resistance, that means no energy is converted away from the fall. That means when an incorporeal being falls through the world, they should stop at the exact distance away from the core on the other side of the globe- because the gain/loss of momentum should be proportional on either side of the core.

If they step into corporeality near the core and get stuck, well that's their fault. :3

But then they would fall through again. And again. And again and again and again and again. It would be like that game where you have to smash the things as soon as they come out of the hole.

But then they would fall through again. And again. And again and again and again and again. It would be like that game where you have to smash the things as soon as they come out of the hole.

Whack a mole?

I don't see why that'd be a problem, no matter how many times they oscillate they'd still go to the same height. In comparison to some of the other epic powers I think timing is easy enough to master.

by quick calculation, i make a rough estimate that it would take one or two hours for the trip from one side to the other (little more than half an hour if the gravity was constant at 1g toward the center of the planet all the time, but it will decrease when you sink inside the planet and the outer strata will pull you away from the center. Inside a concave sphere, gravity is 0 everywhere, so you could get a good approximation by assuming that you are being pulled only by the part of the planet that is inside your radius. however, the accurate calculation would require getting the estimatiions for the density of the planet at various depths, so i'm  just using raw approximations there. Also, I'm in no mood to calculate an integral). That's because, without anything to slow you down, you accelerate pretty quickly; in one and a half minute, you'll already be faster than an airplane. If you fly at constant speed, than you won't be much faster than just going around the planet. And if you have no control over it, you'lll spend that hour or two inside the planet, then pop up on the other side for a few seconds, then sink down again. seems a boring way to spend eternity.

• 2 weeks later...

Since Calamity doesn't give powers that are essentially useless, and no fun to observe, I think it is safe to say he wouldn't give someone Intangibility without flight.

But he could give someone intangibility with other kinds of pseudoflight( e.g. Ironpull).

then there is, you know, the heat and everything down there...

but hey! if you cant stand the heat...

I'm going to assume that wouldn't be a problem since heat is derived from atomic collisions- right?

But then again, shouldn't they freeze to death whenever they turn incorporeal...?

*shrug*

Probably the power is "you become untangible, but you can walk on anything you subconciously consider a surface that you could walk on, but if you want, you cann fall through it". A little bit complicated, but probably would work.

Probably the power is "you become untangible, but you can walk on anything you subconciously consider a surface that you could walk on, but if you want, you cann fall through it". A little bit complicated, but probably would work.

Well no, that specifically isn't how intangibles work in the Reckonerverse. That's why Nightwielder has flight.

• Chaos locked this topic