Who is your favorite character (and chapter, battle or part of the SA)?

My favorite character is probably Shallan, and the scene where she kills Tyn stands out,

I loved this scene. I read it over and over again.

Another good scene is when eshonai returns to speak to her people in the interlude, it gave me gees bumps.

My favorite Charakter is jasnah. She is a rational sholar but still very human. What i like most about her is that in multible scenes she relizes she had been unfair to shallan and apollogises.

The best scene with her is when she reveals her theory about the parshmen beeing the voidbringers.

I read SA in german and i have to say the translation is really well done in all those scenes.

Bridge 4 saving Dalinar's army and Adolin's duel against the four shardbearers were fantastic, but I have to say the moment I first became hooked on the series was at the end of part 1 of tWoK. When Kaladin's umpteenth failure culminated in his decision to go to the Honor chasm while reflecting about his life, the scene was already starting to get emotional and then his conversation with Syl sealed the deal for me. 

Favorite character(s): Ahhh it's hard to choose between Shallan and Wit, the cute bantering duo. But for SA specifically, then Shallan. She's probably my all-time favorite female character in fantasy literature because I can totally relate to her personality and experiences XD And I looove red-heads! (Also, I'd like to voice my love towards Szeth, Zahel, Mraize, Rysn and Axies.)

Favorite scene(s): Dalinar exchanging his Shardblade for the freedom of Bridge 4 and saving the lot of them in WoK + Kaladin falling from the sky and saving Dalinar in WoR.

I like several of the characters...  Though for the most part, Kaladin plays into the scene's that get my attention the most like - the Spear Kata... where Kaladin's being made fun of... taunted... and then he loses himself in the moment, remembering a number of people and he's going thorough a Kata that amazes everyone who see's it... including Teft...

I also like when Teft pops off with his "Heralds above" comment about Kaladin fighting to hold the bridge head... where he's recalling that Stormlight doesn't grant skill, it just amplifies/perfects the person using it...

Ironically, I like when Navani interrogates Kaladin about where her son is... 

My favorite character right now is Dalinar. Every time he turns around, some higher power is telling him that there is no hope, humanity is doomed. That kind of thing has broken many great people in fantasy literature before and as Amaram has stated previously, Dalinar does not bend. I mean, how would you feel if you worshipped a god your entire life and he suddenly started talking to you about how much he hates you? That has not stopped Dalinar from standing up and doing everything within his power to lead humanity "through the stormwall," so to speak. That's why my favorite scene is when you first learn what the Nightwatcher took from him in recompense for his requested boon. The Nightwatcher herself is probably going to take his place eventually. Her otherworldliness (she is a spren) and her connection to Lift is more than enough reason, but then you add in the guarantee that at least one of the other main characters will ask her for their own boon cements this in my mind. 

Edited by Griffhor14

Kaladin and Shallan in the chams, and more particulary when they goes deep in confidences. So emotive...

"Oh, storms. She smiled anyway." I think I almost cried reading this (and very very very few books can do this to me, and most of them only can once)

Edited by Dracnor

These scenes always stick out in my Memory:

Szeth:

The soldiers fanned out through the room while the two fully armored Shardbearers stepped toward him, Blades out. The king smiled.

So let it be,” Szeth said, breathing deeply, sucking in the Stormlight of the many gemstones tied in the pouches at his waist. The Light began to rage within him, like a highstorm in his chest, burning and screaming. He breathed in more than he’d ever held before, holding it until he was barely able to keep the Stormlight from ripping him apart.
Were those still tears in his eyes? Would that they could hide his crimes. He yanked the strap free at his waist, releasing his belt and the heavy spheres.
Then he dropped his Shardblade.
His opponents froze in shock as his Blade vanished to mist. Who would drop a Shardblade in the middle of a battle? It defied reason.
And so did Szeth.
You are a work of art, Szeth-son-Neturo. A god.
It was time to see.
The soldiers and Shardbearers charged. Mere heartbeats before they reached him, Szeth spun into motion, liquid tempest in his veins. He dodged between the initial sword strikes, spinning into the midst of the soldiers. Holding this much Stormlight made it easier to infuse things; the light wanted out, and it pushed against his skin. In this state, the Shardblade would only be a distraction. Szeth himself was the real weapon.

“What…what are you?” The guard’s voice had lost its certainty. “Spirit or man?” “What am I?” Szeth whispered, a bit of Light leaking from his lips as he looked past the man down the long hallway. “I’m…sorry.” 

Wit:

“Can you feel it?” Wit asked of the open night. “Something just changed. I believe that’s the sound the world makes when it pisses itself.”

Edited by WEZ313

• 7 months later...

Kaladin. Without a shadow of a doubt. I've never been so moved by a fictional character. I found myself feeling anguish at his hardships, pride at his achievements and a desperate hope that things work out well for him. He's the only character i've ever been moved to tears over (the scene where he goes back for Dalinar and his army).

Whilst it's so difficult to choose a favourite moment, I'd have to say a scene from earlier in WoK stood out for me. It was the scene where he had lost all hope and was about to jump in to the chasm.  Not only does he find the strength to carry on, but he also swears to protect the bridgemen with his life. And this is exactly what he did, watching his struggles and determination put me in complete awe of him.

And even in WoR, where his flaws became more apparent, I found myself totally able to empathise and understand them.

On 5/6/2016 at 10:06 AM, Nyali said:

My favorite scene: Shallan and Kaladin in the chasms. Specifically this part (format and grammar may be off since I'm copying this from the audio book):

Words of Radiance - Chapter 71

Hide contents

"We'll be fine. You'll see." That darkened his mood further. "You still think I'm too optimistic," Shallan said.

"It's not your fault," Kaladin said. "I'd rather be like you. I'd rather not have lived the life I have. I would that the world was full of only people like you, Shallan Davar."

"People who don't understand pain."

"Oh, all people understand pain," Kaladin said. "That's not what I'm talking about, it's..."

"The sorrow," Shallan said softly, "of watching a life crumble? Of struggling to grab it and hold on, but feeling hope become stringy sinew and blood beneath your fingers as everything collapses?"

"Yes."

"The sensation, it's not sorrow, but something deeper. Of being broken. Of being crushed so often and so hatefully that emotion becomes something you can only wish for. If only you could cry, because then you'd feel something. Instead, you feel nothing. Just, haze and smoke inside, like you're already dead."

He stopped in the chasm. She turned and looked to him. "The crushing guilt," she said, "of being powerless, of wishing they'd hurt you instead of those around you, of screaming and scrambling and hating as those you love are ruined, popped like a boil. And you have to watch their joy seeping away while you can't. Do. Anything. They break the ones you love and not you, and you plead, 'Can't you just beat me instead?'"

"Yes," he whispered.

Shallan nodded, holding his eyes. "Yes. It would be nice if no one in the world knew of those things, Kaladin Stormblessed. I agree. With everything I have."

He saw it in her eyes, the anguish, the frustration, the terrible nothing that clawed inside and sought to smother her. She knew. It was there, inside. She had been broken. Then, she smiled. Oh storms, she smiled anyway. It was the single most beautiful thing he'd seen in his entire life.

I have to agree with you one of the best for sure... filled with raw emotion fantastic scene

Reveal hidden contents

"You had never left your family's lands before?" "Yes." "And you went to rob one of the smartest women in the world?" "Uh, yes."

• 2 weeks later...

Reading The Way Of Kings, Dalinar was my favorite, he remindd me of my father, especially the way he teacher Adolin. Reading Words Of Radiance, however, i am stuck between Kaladin and Adolin. Dalinar have been pissing be off slightly with the entire "Trusting Amaram" stuff. Adolins character development have me sighing, he has developed into the perfect hero, and i am so afraid of something happening to him. And Kaladin.. is just Kaladin. How do you not like Kaladin? Sure, him being bitter and petty around lighteyes is slightly irritating but after what he's been through i seriousy don't blame him. 

My favorite scene has to be either when Adolin walks around the streets in The Way Of Kings, watching the other soldiers, and realising why his father always had made Adolin wear military clothes everywhere. 

Also, all of Kaladin and Shallans scenes down in the chasms in Words Of Radiance. Theyre hilarious together. And Shallan made kaladin smile. Aw

Favourite Characters (in order):

- Kaladin: I always like the Kaladin scenes, I like his sense of honour, and his competence, yet complicated by his doubts. Too many favourite scenes: Saving Dalinars army, Saving Adolin in the 4v1 duel, Shallan & Kaladin taking on the Chasmfiend, Least favourite scene...oddly, much of the battle at the end of WoR with Szeth (although I rather liked Syl's weapon switcheroo's) because it became quite overpowered and left me wondering where the book could go from here (with the remaining oaths)

- Lopen. He seems to embody that Monty Python song 'Always look on the bright side of life" (Favourite scene: where the stub of his lost arm starts growing. Next fav: where he says he likes being a bridge runner) 

- Szeth. Such conflict within one person. Such drama. Favourite scene (A): opening scene to WoK. Absolutely fantastic way to open a story.

Other random favourite scenes:

Hoid telling Kaladin stories, Taln scenes, Syl trying to part the winds while Kaladin is strung up in a highstorm, Giant turtle islands, Gaz - in Shallan's entourage - being spotted by Kaladin.

Absolute favourite scene:

Really tough one. I'd probably go with Szeth's assassination of the Jah Kaved king...but only just, over the Kaladin saves Dalinar / Adolin scenes. Szeth's use of lashings in that scene was incredible.

Edited by vikorr

After Words of Radiance, I think my favorite character is probably Shallan. There are a lot of layers to her, and I'm really intrigued to see where she goes next.

My favorite scene is probably Kaladin and Szeth's fight at the end of WoR; I don't normally have this kind of reaction to a book, but it gave me chills, I was laughing out loud with delight, I was pumping my fist in the air (it's a good thing I wasn't reading it in public, I guess), and generally I thought it was awesome.

I can't choose a favorite character, that's like a 15-way tie. Favorite scene, though, would probably be the big duel in WoR, though I also LOVE Dalinar giving up the sword for the bridgemen, everything with Shallan and Kaladin in the chasms, Shallan killing Tyn, the bridge charge at the end of WoK, both Wit POVs... actually favorite scene is looking like a many-way tie too... just too many good things in Stormlight to choose from lol.

My favorite character, hands down, is Jasnah. She is logical and strong. She cares about her family and friends with a fierceness that I love, and she stands up for what she believes in without concern for how it will affect her. I adore that kind of integrity. She isn't a fool, meaning that she cares more about the truth than winning the argument. Also, she isn't lawful stupid. Really, she is my kind of woman. 

That being said, my favorite scene so far when Kaladin is protecting Elhokar, and finally figures out. I get a kick out imagining Graves' face every time. 

Spoiler

"I will protect even those I hate, so long as it is right."

Gotta say Szeth for favorite character. His entire story arc has been very intriguing, and if his character is going where I think it is (as a rogue but overall good element), then I'm very excited.

Scene goes to the end of Words of Radiance where Szeth is resurrected and given Nightblood- that entire scene gave me chills. Second favorite would probably be Szeth at the towers of Urithiru- that one clicked with me for no real reasons.

The impressive battle scenes have already been mentioned; of the battle scenes my personal favorite is Kaladin defending his bridge and saving Dalinar's army.

But my favorite scene with my two favorite characters is when Kaladin goes through his spear dance/forms and Syl manifests to Bridge 4 as a ball of light following along with his spear. Bridge 4 just looks on in awe. It was a really touching moment for Syl to do that.

Edited by dionysus

I'd say my favorite character at this point is probably syl.  Now as for favorite scenes I'd probably have to go for the afore mentioned chasm scene with Shallan and Kaladin, it gets me everytime, even reading the blurb of it here had me in chills and some slight welling in the eyes.  Also I would have to say the entirety of the scene where kaladin remembers the death of Tien (so sad) and following it up all the way to the end of bridge 4's rescue of Dalinar and his men.

Now if I'm speaking honestly, they're are so many scenes in SA as well as all of Sandersons works that bring me to chills.  

I love the honor chasm scene where Kal almost kills himself.  It reminds me of the epiphany scene in WoT when rand is on dragonmount which is probably in my top 5 scenes for WoT

On January 2, 2017 at 8:56 PM, elezraita said:

My favorite character, hands down, is Jasnah. She is logical and strong. She cares about her family and friends with a fierceness that I love, and she stands up for what she believes in without concern for how it will affect her. I adore that kind of integrity. She isn't a fool, meaning that she cares more about the truth than winning the argument. Also, she isn't lawful stupid. Really, she is my kind of woman. 

That being said, my favorite scene so far when Kaladin is protecting Elhokar, and finally figures out. I get a kick out imagining Graves' face every time. 

Hide contents

"I will protect even those I hate, so long as it is right."

Exactly.  Love Jasnah.  WoR chapter 7 was really shocking for me.  I had to stop reading for a while.  

It's a two way tie for me. One is Rock, because he is hilarious. The scene when Rock explains why he was sent to the bridgemen is probably the funniest scene in the books for me. Two is Syl, for obvious reasons. She was the main force to push Kaladin to become the person at the end of WoR. Also her dialogue is probably some the best in the books. She's either being funny, or foreshadowing something good coming up, also we get decent knowledge about the KR from her.

My favorite scene is Kaladin saving the king. Not only did it have the best piece of dialogue in the series "Your will matters not! Stretch forth thy hand Kaladin", but it was also the biggest turning point yet for a character. Kaladin realizing an important oath, him getting Syl back, as well as getting a shardblade. The scene had all the right things and then some. I constantly go back and re-read it, and still get the same awestruck feeling every time. 

My favorite character is Lyft followed closely by Kaladin and Hoid (his constant jabs at the light eyes makes me laugh every time).

Favorite scene is Kaladin saving the Alokhar.  Specifically when all of the stormlight in the room empties out of the gems, complete pitch dark for a second, and then he explodes with light.

Edited by wildbuc117