Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

Just chiming in for a sec: in the middle of changing internet provider, dunno how long it's gonna be until I'm on the web again. It's six days since I don't have internet at home. Well, at least I got to the Bastion... and I'm finishing it right now :mellow:

51 minutes ago, Cognizantastic said:

So, I wrote a poem. My skills are generally geared towards prose, so it's not of the quality which I would like, but I thought it might still be worth sharing. I call it Crates of Minds.

Hide contents

“Who do you want to win?”

The orange comedian!
The pantsuited panderer!

Stupid liberals.

Stupid conservatives.

You can’t be friends! 

She’s a them!

We don’t like them!

Not person. Box.

Not person. Tag.

Not person. Label.

Crates full of minds, each encapsulated in categories.

Take one out. 

Hold it in the hand.

Lay an ear against it.

Bring it close to the heart.

Human.

Flesh, blood.

Rage, love.

Each a beating heart.

Each a sparking mind.

Clique, clique, crack.

Cog, that is fantastic. Very well done. 

1 hour ago, Cognizantastic said:

So, I wrote a poem. My skills are generally geared towards prose, so it's not of the quality which I would like, but I thought it might still be worth sharing. I call it Crates of Minds.

Hide contents

“Who do you want to win?”

The orange comedian!
The pantsuited panderer!

Stupid liberals.

Stupid conservatives.

You can’t be friends! 

She’s a them!

We don’t like them!

Not person. Box.

Not person. Tag.

Not person. Label.

Crates full of minds, each encapsulated in categories.

Take one out. 

Hold it in the hand.

Lay an ear against it.

Bring it close to the heart.

Human.

Flesh, blood.

Rage, love.

Each a beating heart.

Each a sparking mind.

Clique, clique, crack.

That's storming excellent!

Kaymyth has been spiked! I'm not sure for how long she's been spiked, as I was not the one to do it, but congrats to her and I'm thrilled to have her.

I didn't see anyone post about it yet, so I thought I'd mention it. ;) 

Three years ago, my life was a mess.

I mean, relative to actual problems, I couldn't complain. I had a roof over my head, a supportive family and I was able pursue things I was interested in.

But emotionally, I was a bit  of a wreck. I'd been dealing with OCD for a few years at that point, a condition which had escalated to where I had to start seeing a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist. I felt worthless. I wouldn't characterise myself as suicidal or anything, but I did think about death a lot. I'm not sure if depression quite applies either, but I did sometimes just sit alone and feel sudden ennui and want to just cry or something.

The first big thing that helped lift my spirits was finding Mistborn. I've said before, I empathise so much with Vin, because I read a lot of her paranoid obsessions as my own behaviour. The fact that she was the protagonist -the first protagonist in years I really related to and was fascinated by- Was a big help.

The second was this site.

I realised yesterday that I have almost been here for three years. Maybe I should have saved this for my Shardaverary...but I wanted say thanks.Thank you, so much, to everyone here. Because this site...

... this site gives me stuff to look forward to.

... the people on this site are friendly and supportive in ways I didn't expect online.

... those site introduced me to fandom which I never would have found otherwise, like Gravity Falls and MLP.

... this site turned role-playing from something I had a vague interest in to an actual hobby.

... this site, and talking to people about story ideas and writing and my problems helps me feel like I'm worth something.

I know I can be...well, annoying. And I still have flashes of mood changes, and I still have serious thoughts and worries and concerns over...everything.

But you guys, and this site, have made a real, positive impact on my life.

Thanks.

8 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Kaymyth has been spiked! I'm not sure for how long she's been spiked, as I was not the one to do it, but congrats to her and I'm thrilled to have her.

Um. What? Kaymyth joined the DA? Is that what this means?

On 12/5/2016 at 8:41 PM, Assassin in Burgundy said:

1 minute ago, Sunbird said:

10 minutes ago, Chaos said:

It means she's a Moderator (or Forum Tyrant ;)) now.

1 minute ago, Sunbird said:

Excuuuuuse me, we staff have used the term spiking to refer to as promotion long, long before the dark alley :P 

2 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Excuuuuuse me, we staff have used the term spiking to refer to as promotion long, long before the dark alley :P 

LOL, my bad. I've been here less than a year, so I don't think I've seen anybody get promoted to mod in that time.

29 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Honestly, I was just waiting to see if anybody noticed.  It felt a bit to weird to just say, "Hey, lookit me!  Notice anything diiiiifferent?"

(I'm not 100% sure when it happened myself. Last night or this morning?)

18 minutes ago, Orlion Determined said:

It means she's a Moderator (or Forum Tyrant ;)) now.

Ha. :)

11 minutes ago, Kaymyth said:

Honestly, I was just waiting to see if anybody noticed.  It felt a bit to weird to just say, "Hey, lookit me!  Notice anything diiiiifferent?"

Well, you were spiked when you posted yesterday about the idiot squirrel. I didn't say anything since... I figured I'd missed the announcement. 

Congratulations!

Edited by Quiver

6 minutes ago, Quiver said:

Well, you were definitely spiked by the time you posted yesterday about the idiot squirrel. I didn't say anything since... I figured I'd missed the announcement. 

Congratulations!

For me that was this morning. :)  And that's about when I noticed it.  I had spotted a button on the top of the forum I hadn't noticed before, and thought it was odd that it looked unfamiliar, and even odder that what it did would just be lying around for anyone to see.  It wasn't until I'd posted and actually saw "Moderators" under my picture that I realized what had happened.

Then I spent the next couple of hours wondering if I was supposed to say anything about it myself, or if I should wait till someone officially announced, or even whether it was a mistake or something.  (In spite of the fact that I'd been told it was going to happen. I know. Having a massive head cold does not do great things for one's logic.)

But thanks!

Edited by Kaymyth
having a massive head cold also does not do great things for one's grammar

24 minutes ago, little wilson said:

Hm. Awry logic, squirrel acting out of sorts, recent spiking.... Makes me wonder if fRR got a little experimental in the sources of those spikes...

I can solemnly attest to the high probability that the squirrel was not her doing.  (And if you haven't read that story, I think it's still just back on the previous page.)

EDIT:  My mistake, it's TWO pages back. Things move fast around here.

2 hours ago, Quiver said:

I mean, relative to actual problems, I couldn't complain. I had a roof over my head, a supportive family and I was able pursue things I was interested in.

But emotionally, I was a bit  of a wreck. I'd been dealing with OCD for a few years at that point, a condition which had escalated to where I had to start seeing a Cognitive Behavioural Therapist. I felt worthless. I wouldn't characterise myself as suicidal or anything, but I did think about death a lot. I'm not sure if depression quite applies either, but I did sometimes just sit alone and feel sudden ennui and want to just cry or something.

The first big thing that helped lift my spirits was finding Mistborn. I've said before, I empathise so much with Vin, because I read a lot of her paranoid obsessions as my own behaviour. The fact that she was the protagonist -the first protagonist in years I really related to and was fascinated by- Was a big help.

I realised yesterday that I have almost been here for three years. Maybe I should have saved this for my Shardaverary...but I wanted say thanks.Thank you, so much, to everyone here. Because this site...

... the people on this site are friendly and supportive in ways I didn't expect online.

... those site introduced me to fandom which I never would have found otherwise, like Gravity Falls and MLP.

... this site turned role-playing from something I had a vague interest in to an actual hobby.

... this site, and talking to people about story ideas and writing and my problems helps me feel like I'm worth something.

I know I can be...well, annoying. And I still have flashes of mood changes, and I still have serious thoughts and worries and concerns over...everything.

Thanks.

Quiv,  you're not annoying and we love you. 

2 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

Congrats! :D

8 hours ago, Cognizantastic said:

I'm glad you think so! :) Here's a limerick that I wrote about those draconian employees who so enjoy smashing any contact between lovebirds. I think you'll like it in particular, bleeder.

Hide contents

A couple in hormonal bliss

leaned together to sneak a swift kiss

Security swooped in to say

“Hey, no PDA!”

They haven’t been making out since.

I love it.

6 hours ago, Quiver said:

Thanks.

We love you, Quivs.

6 hours ago, Kaymyth said:

Mod-Kay! Woo! Enthusiasm!

Congrats, Kaymyth! :D Gotta admit, this is gonna take some getting used to. :P 

Also, in completely unrelated news, I've decided to go back to the Santhid eye profile pic. It was what I was using for the longest time, and (all love to Kestrel) I was craving a change from the one I was using before. So until I manage to get the one I want actually drawn up (heeeyyy, artist types... I might have a job for you. :P) it's likely gonna stay like this for a while.

Or not, because I'm indecisive as highstorms. :P 

2 minutes ago, Slowswift said:

Congrats, Kaymyth! :D Gotta admit, this is gonna take some getting used to. :P

You're telling me!

But really, I'm the same old ginger unicorn; they just hit me with a spike that upgraded my horn.  I can now perform neat tricks like moving threads to the proper forum and destroying spambots.