Random Stuff IX: Rogue Admins

3 hours ago, bleeder said:

On a completely unrelated note, I just watched all six Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared videos for the first time, all in one sitting, and I am... I can't think of a fitting adjective to describe my emotional state.

Now lets all agree to never be creative again.

Nick Nocturne did a pretty interesting analysis of it...

Spoiler

Then again it is easy to see things no one else does when you have four eyes.

Yes he went through all that work for an analysis video.

Makes matpat look like... well, an incredibly overrated youtuber who only makes stupid crackpot theories for views, doesnt it?

10 hours ago, bleeder said:

Hello, there Anamaximder! I don't think we got to meet before you took your break.

I'm bleeder. 

I hear you're bi? So am I!

That accidentally rhymed. Ugh. 

Anyway, let's be friends.

On a completely unrelated note, I just watched all six Don't Hug Me, I'm Scared videos for the first time, all in one sitting, and I am... I can't think of a fitting adjective to describe my emotional state.

Thank you! It is nice to be back on the best online community ever. I have been hanging around Youtube comments a bit too much. 

Okay, I'm not referring to anyone on this site. I was inspired by people defending Cursed Child on the TV Tropes Headscratchers and Fridge pages, but....

Wow can my fellow Potterfans make some boneheaded arguments. :mellow: Seriously. I point out that any Gryffinfor could have drawn the Sword from the Hat, and the argument against that is (paraphrasing) "Yeah, but if Lavender drew it she'd probably miss hitting Nagini by an inch and so Harry wouldn't be able to kill Voldemort." And their argument against my pointing out that the people propagating the Scorpius rumor would realistically be as hated as 9/11 truthers in the US? "You do realize that a lot of people outside the US think it was an inside job, right?"

that was not the point I made

i don't know if I should even argue with this

is it even worth the trouble of typing 

2 hours ago, Ookla the Pug-whisperer said:

Okay, I'm not referring to anyone on this site. I was inspired by people defending Cursed Child on the TV Tropes Headscratchers and Fridge pages, but....

Wow can my fellow Potterfans make some boneheaded arguments. :mellow: Seriously. I point out that any Gryffinfor could have drawn the Sword from the Hat, and the argument against that is (paraphrasing) "Yeah, but if Lavender drew it she'd probably miss hitting Nagini by an inch and so Harry wouldn't be able to kill Voldemort." And their argument against my pointing out that the people propagating the Scorpius rumor would realistically be as hated as 9/11 truthers in the US? "You do realize that a lot of people outside the US think it was an inside job, right?"

that was not the point I made

i don't know if I should even argue with this

is it even worth the trouble of typing 

??? ಠ_ಠ 

Edited by Ookla the Miraculous

You know how sometimes you just feel like sharing a random story? 

When I was about 12, I was on a camping trip with my friends. We went on a walk out to this slide-type thing made out of half of a large pipe. I was wearing flip flops and on the way back, I stepped in some mud. As I got my feet unstuck, one of my flip flops came off. I turned around and it was just gone. We tried digging around a little, but we couldn't find it anywhere. I still don't know what happened to that shoe.

Rest in peace flip flop. You had a good sole.

Moana memes, sorta:

My reaction when I talk to people from the fanfic wiki I admined and pulled from the brink of extinction years back:

HsvgYTP.jpg

...my reaction when I learn the tyrannical dirtbag who liked deleting people's pages without warning took over the whole wiki in my absence.

Moana-1024x588.jpg

Tamatoa-in-Moana.jpg

There is a group in my company that has recently gotten a certain amount of oversight into some of the things that my team does.  We have been very diligent in explaining things to them; what we do, how we do it, and what all of the things mean.  For example, we explained very clearly (multiple times) that "UFO" does, in fact, stand for "Unidentified Flying Object."  We explained what criteria we use to classify* said objects and what information we need to gather about them.  And we also emphasized very heavily the part where they are all flying.

So why, then, did they come to us today asking, "So how do you handle ground-based UFOs?"

WE DON'T.  You know why?  BECAUSE THERE IS NO SUCH THING.

*Disclaimer:  this is not actually what I do, though the joke wound up fitting this specific situation to a level of appropriateness that I would never have expected.

Edited by Ookla the Mythical

Update on the Great TV Tropes Cursed Child debate….

Never before have I met someone who made me want to link to "Giving Up on Logic" so badly. Seriously. This guy probably won debate tournaments in high school just by bringing up Marilyn Monroe's possible contact with extraterrestrials in a Lincoln-Douglas debate about US foreign policy. -_- 

7 hours ago, Ookla the Mythical said:

There is a group in my company that has recently gotten a certain amount of oversight into some of the things that my team does.  We have been very diligent in explaining things to them; what we do, how we do it, and what all of the things mean.  For example, we explained very clearly (multiple times) that "UFO" does, in fact, stand for "Unidentified Flying Object."  We explained what criteria we use to classify* said objects and what information we need to gather about them.  And we also emphasized very heavily the part where they are all flying.

So why, then, did they come to us today asking, "So how do you handle ground-based UFOs?"

WE DON'T.  You know why?  BECAUSE THERE IS NO SUCH THING.

*Disclaimer:  this is not actually what I do, though the joke wound up fitting this specific situation to a level of appropriateness that I would never have expected.

Your elaborate non-description descriptions are cracking me up.  I'm glad I only handle the cigar-shaped UFOs.

18 minutes ago, The Ooklent One said:

Your elaborate non-description descriptions are cracking me up.  I'm glad I only handle the cigar-shaped UFOs.

Nah, you don't handle UFOs, you handle terrestrial phenomena.  Like Bigfoot.

And per our conversation off the Shard, it is true that there are certain cases where we have Bigfeet who also ride around in UFOs.  However, these things are kept completely separate from each other.  You track the Bigfeet (and the Loch Ness Monsters, and the Jersey Devils...)  My team only worries about UFOs.  We don't really care who's riding in those UFOs - aliens, Bigfeet, or whatever - so long as they're filing all of the correct UFO paperwork and we know where they're being sighted.

If the oversight group wants to talk about the fact that there are Bigfeet involved, they can wander down the entire two rows that separate us over to your group.  Because you care about who is a Bigfoot.  We do not.

Edited by Ookla the Mythical

2 hours ago, Slowswift said:

So... can I ask y'all computery types something? 

If I were to want to learn how to code, how would I go about doing it?

I started with HTML, then CSS and Javascript.  These are all web design programs, but I enjoyed it and it got me off to a good start.  There are a lot of places you can start, but I'd typically suggest starting with a middling complexity language.  C would not have been a good place to start for me, although I know some people who swear by working your way up from binary.  If I were suggesting something to start learning with, I'd probably say Python or Java, Python because it's a little more fun and easy to learn, and Java because it's so similar to so many other types of code.

Again, this has just been my experience, and I am by no means an expert.  I've always enjoyed coding, though, and I hope you have fun with it. :D 

I'm working my way up from C atm.  Just C.  C is basically one or two steps up from binary, and it's really... annoying. :P 

Spoiler

enhanced-buzz-31932-1457135976-5.jpg?no-

This book is about a cake, who is, very rude. He never says please or thank you, never listens, and doesn’t share well. One day a giant cyclops takes the rude cake and wears him as a hat. The cyclops has great manners, but the cake hates being a hat. After finally getting away from the cyclops, the cake becomes much more polite.

Does anyone else feel like they need to read this book right storming now? :mellow: