A Wheel of time series? (now that the rights have changed hands)

Honeth

Following Harriet's statement that a new studio has acquired the right for The wheel of time, what are your thoughts on the matter? Should they try to make it happen or the sheer length of the books in addition to the short time the story takes to conclude (3 years) just make the project impossible? They could go for an animated version though I'm not sure if that would work either. At least that way we won't have actors aging beyond the age of their roles.

If it's animated I will literally boycott it. I will be the only idiot standing outside of some studio with a sign and shouting some catchy phrase.

I was worried about that too, but I don't think the age thing will be that big of a deal. First off, the characters "age" way more than three years over those three years. Secondly, tv and movies are filled with 30 year olds playing high school and college students. I think casting a 25 year old to play Rand would be fine. He would play a 19-20 year old, and age into mid thirties while Rand ages to 22ish, but a HARD 22 lol.

I don't know. I think that an animated version would have less chances of ruining it. Regarding the age part I agree with you it shouldn't be much of a problem but I'm not convinced they can do the books justice. I just don't want this to turn into a silly little show like the Shannara or the Legend of the Seeker did.

The Wheel of Time is gonna be a tough adaption. Not only because of the scope, but also because the magic is very visual. It will be difficult to represent weaves in a good way, I think. If they succeed, though, it will be really cool.

I can imagine an Aes Sedai weaving intricate threads of fire in slow motion, then having them snap into place and turn into a fire ball that shoots out...

I don't think the time scale will be a big issue compared to the other things. Worst case scenario they can just extend the in-universe time. It will probably not be a massive problem plotwise since the seasons are being corrupted by the Dark One throughout much of the story. Elayne's pregnancy and some other things are time critical, I suppose...

My biggest worry, I guess, is that they will try to make it like GoT (with all the grit and stuff), when the two are very different. Or, if they don't make it like GoT, that people will expect it to be like GoT.

In either case, the books won't go away, and the quality of a show won't affect that either way.

It's nothing like GoT and nobody should expect that (that is at all familiar with the books). The Seeker was terrible, as it WAS more like GoT and was watered allllll down. The thing about WoT is that it COULD be a network show (content-wise). It could totally be on at 9 on Fox or something, or obviously something like A&E as it is WAY less graphic that Walking Dead in every way.

No animation.

I think they could do the "bullet time" weaving sometimes, more at the beginning of the series than than later on. Would be cool, but would get old and added expense to production. And I guess it wouldn't really show up much for a while, as the reader at least wasn't much aware of it for some time.

Lots of speculation from people who have no idea what they are talking about (myself the king of that category)! Love it!

• 1 year later...