hbenhansen

not going to lie, im a little disappointed that WoR is only 600 pages. look at WoK, take the first 600 pages in hand, and imagine that the remaining pages didnt happen. or the story was covered in 600 pages. sad faces. am i alone on this? 

if im being silly please convert me 

Wherever you saw that 600 page figure, it's inaccurate. At last count, WoR sits at 1088 pages. In fact, it's longer than The Way of Kings. Words of Radiance is as physically large as Tor's printers allow for right now.

I just want to put emphasis on this. 1088 is the physical limit of Tor's press. They literally could not print the book if it were a single page longer.

I agree with RainbowRose. Also, I doubt that 1088 pages is the biggest press that TOR has access to, but rather that 1088 pages is the capacity of the press that they booked for WoR. My company is printing our catalog right now (only 296 pages, can't even imagine proofing 1088!!!), and I learned that the selection of the type of press and scheduling the time on the press is a whole thing. So, it probably could have been bigger (hey, King's IT was bigger!) but it would have been a big logistical pain to switch presses.

I doubt that 1088 pages is the biggest press that TOR has access to, but rather that 1088 pages is the capacity of the press that they booked for WoR.

This is correct, or rather, it's the capacity of the bindery rather than the press. Using the same specs as the first book, it came out at 1099 pages. They got it down to 1087 by letting some of the art pages fall on the right side rather than requiring them to all be on the left side, and starting interlude chapters on the left if necessary. This was deemed acceptable. But it does mean it could have been ONE page longer.

Uh. This feels... wrong. Art on the right pages, that's okay, but interludes starting there on occasion - it feels weird. I feel betrayed, Tor. 

I have to echo this sentiment. Consistency in formatting is important to making a pleasing book! Perhaps instead of ruining the formatting, Brandon could maybe kill off Dalinar a few pages early?

Still, I can't imagine I'll mind too much when actually reading it.

This is correct, or rather, it's the capacity of the bindery rather than the press. Using the same specs as the first book, it came out at 1099 pages. They got it down to 1087 by letting some of the art pages fall on the right side rather than requiring them to all be on the left side, and starting interlude chapters on the left if necessary. This was deemed acceptable. But it does mean it could have been ONE page longer.

what?! I could have one more page!?

• 2 weeks later...

1024 PAGES ONLY? It's never enough  :mellow: !!!!

Ssshhh shhh we have 10 books, it'll be okay. It will all be okay. <insert lullaby>

:P

Besides, I don't think brandon is physically capable of not writing, so we'll have good stuff for at least another 50-odd years. And even then, mysterious manuscripts in unmarked boxes will arrive on Tor's doorstep in the middle of the night...

damnation it, Delightful, now I'm going to spend ages trying to create a High Imperial lullaby.

Wasing the rocking up in the theres,

Being the I was the cradle top in.

That doesn't sound right, and now I'm going to spend forever trying to fix it. THANKS A LOT, DE.

damnation it, Delightful, now I'm going to spend ages trying to create a High Imperial lullaby.

Wasing the rocking up in the theres,

Being the I was the cradle top in.

That doesn't sound right, and now I'm going to spend forever trying to fix it. THANKS A LOT, DE.

I actually sang it to the tune of Rock a Bye Baby, and it fit..errr..kind of.

Fixing a new tune to it would be near impossible now!

I hope Delightful has reached Second Heightening before she started singing. :-)

• Chaos locked this topic