Shardblade vs Lightsabers

Thunder_93

Hi everyone,

I saw this interesting facebook-post of Sanderson (I guess some of you saw that as well, but for those who didn't see it or don't have facebook):

It's a video of a guy, arguing why a Shardblade is better then a Lightsaber.

To be honest, it seems like he isn't that cosmere-aware like all of us here, and doesn't seem to know exactly what it means, and what it needs, to become a Knight Radiant.

Anyways, still interesting, and funny.

But be aware: Words of Radiance spoilers in the Video!!!

I honestly don't know if im allowed to post links, but I just try :P

If the link is blocked: The video is called: 

Geek talk: Shardblades - the ultimate fantasy sword? (with spoilers)

Out of the video, there comes an interesting question, and I don't have a clear answer for it:

Can someone hurt themself with a Shardblade?

With a living spren (so, Knight Radiant), I'm almost sure you can't. As the spren doesn't want to hurt you, I'm sure it would have a way to avoid hurting you.

But as a Shardblade is dead, it doesn't really have a will anymore - So it can't avoid hurting you.

Any other thoughts about that?

Plus, share your opinion with us about the video as well :)

I had seen the link on Facebook but hadn't watched the video yet.  He definitely doesn't understand some of the finer points of both, but it's a cool breakdown.

On the sword cutting yourself: I tend to agree with his basic conclusion.  A dead Shardblade would cut anything, though it has the advantage of not cutting you if you drop it, since it would instead disappear.  A living Shardblade, well the spren would likely change it's size or change into a different shape to avoid cutting you, or simply dismiss itself, or possibly even somehow just not cut you.  Not sure without examples of course, but I think I agree with his conclusion there.

jW

Zahel removed his hand and gestured. Teft reached out to touch the Shardblade, but Moash seized the thing first, taking it by the hilt and yanking it—too hard—out of the ground. He stumbled backward, and Teft backed away.

“Be careful, now!” Teft barked. “You’ll cut off your own storming arm if you act like a fool.”

(WoR, chapter 44)

I guess this shows that a dead blade can hurt you, but remember that this is said by Teft, so we cannot be sure if it is accurate.

Thanks for the quote.

But just like you said yourself, I don't think Teft knows too much about shardblades.

But it would be, just how I said it (and you other guys as well):

I doubt you can hurt yourself with the Spren, the Spren itself would interact.

But a dead, so, a normal shardblade, I think you can hurt yourself.

• Chaos locked this topic