Surgebinding abilities

Hello everyone.

I don't know if you remember but there was a WOB about there being 3 or 4 differences between surgebinding abilities granted by honorblades and by sprens other than the healing from shardblades thing.

Has anyone found other differences between the two. Thank you for answering.

I may write only the one I rememeber:

- Honorblade consumes more Stormlight (a dangerous amount as Syl said)

- Sprenblade may change form (as we saw with Syl and Pattern)

- Spren's bond probably grants Shardplate (we saw quite all the ancient KR with Shardplate but none a single Herald with Shardplate)

- Honorblade abilities aren't bound to moral or external control

- (Possible) You have to touch an Honorblade to obtain Surgebinding abilities, while a KR may uses it also without touch the Spren (but the spren have to be quite near)

- (Possible) You have to touch an Honorblade to obtain Surgebinding abilities, while a KR may uses it also without touch the Spren (but the spren have to be quite near)

Unless you mean gaining the abilities for the first time, we've seen Szeth use Surgebinding without summoning the blade. If you mean initially, then yeah, it would appear that's a result of bonding with an Honorblade, but of course we can't be sure just yet.

jW

Unless you mean gaining the abilities for the first time, we've seen Szeth use Surgebinding without summoning the blade. If you mean initially, then yeah, it would appear that's a result of bonding with an Honorblade, but of course we can't be sure just yet.

jW

I meant that everytime you want to use Stormlight or Surges with an Honorblade you have to touch it in the meanwhile.

But if you say Szeth used Surgebinding without Honorblade, I am wrong ;-)

May I ask where/when happen ? I really can't remember something like that

Edited by Yata

I meant that everytime you want to use Stormlight or Surges with an Honorblade you have to touch it in the meanwhile.

Most notably in the fight against King Hanavanar and his Shardbearers.

Szeth was such a beast in that fight. :)

Yeah, he's walking down the hallway and sucks the light from the spheres before he summons the blade, IIRC. No time to check now, but I'm pretty sure that's one instance.

jW

Not sure if anyone has posed the question, did the heralds break their bonds to the blades before walking off? I know they placed them in a circle but IIRC they did not mention breaking the bond, they just said they would leave them and and not seek each other out. So this begs the question of how Szeth could be bonded to it while Jezrien is still bonded to the blade, is this a property of the honorblade? What others properties might the honorblades enable for the heralds as opposed to other people?

CJ

Not sure if anyone has posed the question, did the heralds break their bonds to the blades before walking off? I know they placed them in a circle but IIRC they did not mention breaking the bond, they just said they would leave them and and not seek each other out. So this begs the question of how Szeth could be bonded to it while Jezrien is still bonded to the blade, is this a property of the honorblade? What others properties might the honorblades enable for the heralds as opposed to other people?

CJ

We have no sure proofs or WoB.

I still think that the Honorblade are bonded with the Heralds and the Heralds themself can't break this bonds.

This mean (if I have right) that every Herald may summon his Honorblade if he want breaking any other bond with the Blade itself

CJ

Yeah, we don't know how that works. really... I don't even remember if Honorblades have gems.

That said, we technically don't know if Jezrien is still alive. I'm assuming he is, but I don't think there's any confirmation.

I think they did break the bonds, and that the simple reason why that's not mentioned is that Brandon didn't want to reveal too much about the mysterious nature of the Blades before they became relevant in the actual plot.

Yeah, we don't know how that works. really... I don't even remember if Honorblades have gems.

That said, we technically don't know if Jezrien is still alive. I'm assuming he is, but I don't think there's any confirmation.

I think they did break the bonds, and that the simple reason why that's not mentioned is that Brandon didn't want to reveal too much about the mysterious nature of the Blades before they became relevant in the actual plot.

Nin makes mention of Jezrien in the Lift interlude when he talks about him drooling, which is why many think that is who is impersonating Taln. I tend to think that they kept their bonds, but have chosen not to use them while in self-imposed exile.

EDIT: mobile interface messed with me...

Edited by CJ lidmk

If Jezrien died, wouldn't he go to the Damnation and come back when Taln was back?

If Jezrien died, wouldn't he go to the Damnation and come back when Taln was back?

That's a good point. We don't know if the remaining Heralds were kept by the Pact, but I assume they were.

Honorblades don't have gems: kaladin remarked it after his last fight with Szeth.

Nin makes mention of Jezrien in the Lift interlude when he talks about him drooling, which is why many think that is who is impersonating Taln. I tend to think that they kept their bonds, but have chosen not to use them while in self-imposed exile.

EDIT: mobile interface messed with me...

But Taln's description is definitely not Jezrien's in Kalak's interlude 4500 years ago.

A few years ago, this forum was convinced that the beggar with white and black beard(during the night on Gavilar's death), who was drooling is Jezrien.

What happened to this theory, it is proven wrong by WoB?

But Taln's description is definitely not Jezrien's in Kalak's interlude 4500 years ago.

A few years ago, this forum was convinced that the beggar with white and black beard(during the night on Gavilar's death), who was drooling is Jezrien.

What happened to this theory, it is proven wrong by WoB?

Yeah, someone (and I am with them) say that in the first two books we have already saw all the Heralds.

For example I think the drunk man was Jezrien from his dialogue and Ishar was the madman in the Axis's PoV

Yeah, someone (and I am with them) say that in the first two books we have already saw all the Heralds.

For example I think the drunk man was Jezrien from his dialogue and Ishar was the madman in the Axis's PoV

I also think that Jezrien is the drunk man, fits the description quite nicely.

About Ishar, I'll reread that when I get home, perked my interest there.

It's interesting if we have seen all of the heralds, several seem guilt ridden (why else become a slobbering drunk)

I think that some of the original heralds will take up their blades and be restored as heralds before this series is complete. Some may be too far gone and someone new may stand in for the others.

It's interesting if we have seen all of the heralds, several seem guilt ridden (why else become a slobbering drunk)

I think that some of the original heralds will take up their blades and be restored as heralds before this series is complete. Some may be too far gone and someone new may stand in for the others.

There is a theory, or an idea that since abandoning the oath pact, the Heralds have become the 10 fools, which are the corrupted versions of the ideals they were meant to uphold. So instead of being wise and poised, he is drunk and gibbering. 

There is a theory, or an idea that since abandoning the oath pact, the Heralds have become the 10 fools, which are the corrupted versions of the ideals they were meant to uphold. So instead of being wise and poised, he is drunk and gibbering. 

yes and in the same way Shallash the Herald of beauty now destroy art and (possibly) Ishar from devoted became a "false god" (of course if the theory about him in Axis's pov is true).

• Chaos locked this topic