White sand reactions

vamshi

So I am just done with white sand. And I liked it really well! I thought it wouldn't be as good - considering it a graphic novel and all, but after reading this, I cant help but wonder why brandon doesn't want to be a novel. It would do really well as a novel, I am sure. It is as good as the newer mistborn novels, and it has brilliant world building, a crazy new plot and quite unlike sanderson, not very explained magic system. 
Also How do you people like this? ( and also did you find any references to cosmere? I haven't . and no hoid? wow)

I loved White Sand. The plot threads kept me engaged to the end and beyond, which is always a good sign. In typical Brandon fashion, there was always a bigger secret that I didn't guess, even after I correctly guessed some of the twists. I suspected that the Lord General was Sharezan's lackey, and it seemed too easy an answer that Nilto was Sherezan. BUT the realization that Nilto was Khriss' betrothed hit me at exactly the same time as it hit Khriss, which was an awesome literary experience. I don't know that I like it as much as Mistborn Era 2, but I definitely liked it better than Warbreaker and Elantris.

As for why he's making it a graphic novel—he was approached by Dynamite Comics, who asked him if there was anything that he had lying around that they could adapt. It so happened that White Sand was sitting around and really only needed a good polish to be publishable. He's expressed that the graphic novel adaptation has done exactly the kind of polishing that the story needed to be really excellent. Personally, I think this was a great move. It'll adapt well and I love the fact that he's doing original cosmere work in graphic novel format, instead of just adapting already existing novels. I know a bunch of people are annoyed that it's not coming out in prose, but I personally think it's awesome. It shows that the cosmere isn't limited.

Plus, there's going to be more connective cosmere tissue between the graphic novel White Sand and the rest of the cosmere, including more Hoid, which will be great. Khriss shows up in multiple places in the cosmere later, so I'm excited to see how that pans out.

Plus, there's going to be more connective cosmere tissue between the graphic novel White Sand and the rest of the cosmere, including more Hoid, which will be great. Khriss shows up in multiple places in the cosmere later, so I'm excited to see how that pans out.

its confirmed we are going to get hoid in the graphic novel?

I'm not convinced that there is a Hoid appearance in the version we have.

Am I the only one that's excited about getting a canon picture of Hoid?

This. This is why having a graphic novel is going to be so awesome.

Also, I think Ais mentions him in passing. It's like a super tiny reference.

I'm not convinced that there is a Hoid appearance in the version we have.

Am I the only one that's excited about getting a canon picture of Hoid?

I hate to be "that" guy, but since Hoid can change his appearance at will, I doubt the Hoid we will see will be the real Hoid. 

I hate to be "that" guy, but since Hoid can change his appearance at will, I doubt the Hoid we will see will be the real Hoid. 

See my thing is this. In order for a Hoid cameo, the reader needs to be able to recognize him somehow. In every instance of a Hoid cameo where he is disguised, he is called Hoid. In every instance where he goes by a different name, or is not identified by name, he has the standard appearance we all know (albeit dirty or gruff from dressing as a beggar, but still holding the narrow face, and white hair). If Hoid is completely disguised, and goes by a different name, then the reader cannot recognize him at all, thus no cameo unless Sanderson specifically says "hey that guy that doesn't look, sound, or act like Hoid at all? He's Hoid!"

• 11 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I've now read parts 1 and 2 of the comic, and then I read the prose version.

Wow he broke Eric and then didn't even try to sort things out D:

I definitely preferred the prose version, although I liked the gender-swapping of Ais.  The graphic novel version - it was hard to tell what was happening sometimes.  The bit where a kid tries to pick his pocket, and there are movement lines - I could not tell whether Kenton was using sand-bending to get his pouch back, or the pick-pocket was throwing it.  The sandmaster costumes weren't unique enough in the comic. There's a scene where Kenton talks about having changed into something else, and I'm peering at the image trying to see it.  Then the scene where he goes to the Hall in front of all the other profession heads, and they're all wearing the same white robes as well, that was pretty confusing.

I liked the style of the last chapter art more than the other art, but yeah, pretty jarring change!

Kriss in the comic was annoying.  She just seemed like a spoilt brat...I mean, even more spoilt bratty than in the prose version.  Probably a part of that was the sunglasses, which have modern implications of looking like someone who thinks they're oh-so-cool, and the clothes that looked like a night-dress...maybe if the glasses had looked more like goggles, she would have seemed a bit less aloof?  I dunno.

WHY DIDN'T KENTON TRY AND FIX ERIC? WAAAA!

Edited by Snorkel

Like some others here, I read the GN's first, then got the prose version as I was unsatisfied - glad I did.

Kudos to Brandon for being willing to let committed fans read the prose version. It's obviously less polished, and the characters aren't as well-drawn as those in his newer works. But it's still a great story.

Am I the only one who knew Nilto was Gevin from the very beginning? And I suspected Elorin early on too.

I loved how Kenton beat Drile by remembering "who he was" and going back to his roots.

The only thing I didn't care for was Kenton's decision at the end to chuck it all and go after Khriss. What? After you intentionally destroy someone (Eric) who you claim is your friend? It reminded me of something from Oathbringer which I will duly spoiler-tag:

Spoiler

... when Lift tells Dalinar something like "Nobody gets to be as old as you are without ruining a bunch of people's lives." (Not an exact quote, but close)

It just made me really dislike Kenton, which was not a great reader experience at the end of the book.

I hope that, if Brandon ever does re-vamp White Sand, that he'll flesh out the characters a bit more and make them more "real." Kenton and Khriss are supposed to be about the same age as Kaladin, Shallan, and Vin, aren't they? I'd like to see them more at that level.

Edited by Lump-wing

• 1 month later...

I also got to the prose version after reading vol 1 of the graphic novel and I definitely felt that the prose White Sand is easily on par with his later works and overall a great book. Kenton was a very strong main character and his fight to solve his community's problems felt engaging throughout the book, i.e. the pacing didn't suffer anywhere. Khriss, by contrast, I didn't really enjoy - she felt way too naive, spoilt and empty-headed except for the parts where she suddenly turned full-on academic mode. To me these two personalities clashed with each other and I felt detached whenever she would switch between them, as I can't really accept a person well-versed in science and the scientific method being so childish in their thought process otherwise. I enjoyed Baon, Ais and Eric and especially Delious, but felt Eric's storyline fell flat of the opportunities the character backstory offered. This was the only significantly unsatisfying thread in the plot.

The worldbuilding is easily top-notch across the Cosmere, maybe not on Scadrial/Roshar level but definitely surpassing Elantris in terms of diversity, fauna descriptions and interesting political systems. Actually a lot of parallels exist between the two that are maybe removed in the graphic novel. Elis feels a lot like Arelon, surrounded by a mighty Empire headed by a mystical semi-magical figure. The way Kenton was solving riddle after a riddle and drama after drama rang a lot of bells over to Raoden's story and Ais's conflicted persona and reluctant appreciation of his religious nemesis felt A LOT like Hrathen.

Regardless, a thoroughly enjoyable read and a great addition to the Cosmere. My sadness that the abominable GN is now canon instead of this text, is beyond words!

I read the prose first on purpose, because the graphic novel art with the sand mastery was a little confusing. I view the prose almost as a companion and you get all of that character development and a better understanding of Dayside politics and just Taldain in general.  Even Ais is in essence the same, the gender swapping is irrelevant as her character, her core is the same. And yes poor Eric, why hasn't he been fixed!! Kudos to Brandon for making his first graphic novel and for giving out his prose novel too so you can really appreciate the story all around.

• 3 months later...

Can I say I read the two graphic novels before I figured out how to get the books and I actually enjoyed them.

However, I went into this thinking I was going to get an ending.  Much to my dismay I am left with a cliffhanger. So I'm actually sort of miffed now. Cause I know we won't be seeing the rest of this story any time soon. 

It is interesting to see Brandon as young writer.  There was a hollowness to the chapters that i wanted filled and there was something distracting about the rapid changes of mind with the characters even if I understood what he was going for.  But even still it was good and I appreciated the different intrigues happening.

I am very curious about what is going on with Ais and Eric.  Were they experiencing mental health problems that just weren't written well or is there something else going on there?

I always got the impression that there was some mental issues with Ais and Eric whether it is a "natural" issue or a "shardic" influence is another matter. I.e. Kaladin has depression, but not at all influenced by Odium, whereas Shallan's father is heavily influenced by Odium or one of the Unmade.