Has Brent Weeks been influenced by Brandon and other authors? WARNING SPOILERS

Kruppe

When first reading Brent Weeks Night Angel Trilogy I noted several similarities between the setting and that of Robert Jordan's Wheel of time.

• In both woman magic users live in a 'white tower'.
  • In both there is a seafaring people who do not have a breast taboo.
  • In both There are people who go mad and/or are damaged by using to much damage.
  • In both male magic users are looked down on

I recall that there were many more nuances that were similar but I cannot recall them now.

Recently reading Brandon's Aether of Night this has again become prominent in my mind as the book has many similarities to Brent Weeks Lightbringer series (Aether of Night was written first).

• In both the younger brother takes the place of the older brother becoming emperor and having to deal with the multitude of problems that spring from that as his brother was a far worse man then he.
    They both have a woman who thinks that said younger brother is the cruel older brother etc.
    In both this causes the woman and the brother large amounts of strife in similar ways.
    In both the woman perceives that the younger brother/emperor is sleeping with others when she was beginning to think that they liked each other.

• The way that luxin grows out of the hands is similar to amberite.
  • etc.

Looking at this now this evidence seems rather scant but at the time it was obvious to me that the books were very similar in ideas ads setting etc. though both had unique writing styles.

Does anyone else agree with this or have any other similarities.

Regardless of this Brent Week's books are not overpoweringly copied from others and they are still amazing (I would put his Lightbringer series in the upper echelon of fantasy with most of Brandon's work).

I believe most authors are influenced by other authors but i didn´t see that many similaritis, but that could be because Weeks was the one who brought me into this kind of fantasy. Personally i find allomanty and chromaturgy(magic from the lightbringer series) kinda similar, actually i only found sandersons books because i was searching for a similar magic system.

Well it looks like the similarities between Wheel of Time and Night Angel have been thoroughly discussed but what about the similarities with Aether of Night. When reading it after reading Lightbringer the parallel ideas etc. really jumped out at me.

Well it looks like the similarities between Wheel of Time and Night Angel have been thoroughly discussed but what about the similarities with Aether of Night. When reading it after reading Lightbringer the parallel ideas etc. really jumped out at me.

Do you mean that Sanderson was influenced by Weeks? Because Aether is still unpulished (and i´m not sure if you are allowed to discuss it here because of that)

well i guess ill pose the question in the Aether of Night forum but I was saying that wWeeks was influenced by Aether of Night in the writing of his Lightbringer series. I just read Aether of Night after I read Lightbringer.

When was Aether of Night written? Because most sources i find about it are from between 2011 and 2014 while the first Lightbringer book was published in 2010.

It was written before 2006, because that's when he published Mistborn:TFE (and he finished Aether well before Warbreaker, he'd only just written Mythwalker, a.k.a. Warbreaker Prime), and in between those 2 he also wrote WoK Prime, Final Empire Prime, Mistborn Prime, and maybe something else I've forgotten.

• Chaos locked this topic